PDA

View Full Version : rain gear

Sp2Go2Adventure
05-02-2005, 01:16
I am looking for a top and bottom waterproof breathable shell. I was wondering if anyone has had goodluck with any of the northface stuff. I know northface is always a little more expensive but i can get it 30% threw school. Any other brands that you have had good luck with too would be great! Thanks!:D

TakeABreak
05-02-2005, 01:20
No experience personally but I have heard anything bad about northface gear. Also see my response to the Short Hiker thread, on how to use your rain jacket to help keep your feet a tad warmer at night.

Sp2Go2Adventure
05-02-2005, 02:31
north face nuptuse jacket for $100 a good deal?

Stoker53
05-02-2005, 08:24
Marmot Precip parka and pants have served me very well. Av retail for the parks is $100 and $80 for the pants.

Lilred
05-02-2005, 08:32
Frogg Toggs work great. I got the pants and jacket for $60.

SGT Rock
05-02-2005, 08:46
Frogg Togg and ProVent.

Ridge
05-02-2005, 10:47
Marmot Precip parka and pants have served me very well. Av retail for the parks is $100 and $80 for the pants.
Me and my husband, currently on the PCT, have been using the Marmot Precip combo since it came out several years ago. This stuff is very light and very good. Got it at REI. hikerwife

Kerosene
05-02-2005, 10:58
Frogg Toggs (http://www.froggtoggs.com) are lighter and less expensive than the Precips (15 ounces, Men's size Medium), but some folks don't really like the way the hood and body fits. I just swapped out my rainpants for DWR-treated wind pants that weigh only 2 ounces (but are also really, really expensive), bringing the weight of my raingear down to 10 ounces.

Youngblood
05-02-2005, 11:07
Me and my husband, currently on the PCT, have been using the Marmot Precip combo since it came out several years ago. This stuff is very light and very good. Got it at REI. hikerwife

Just a comment. As much as you seem to like it here (glad to have you by the way) you should set up your own account... maybe hikerwife or your own trailname?

Youngblood

Ridge
05-02-2005, 11:23
Just a comment. As much as you seem to like it here (glad to have you by the way) you should set up your own account... maybe hikerwife or your own trailname?

Youngblood
Thanks, I hope I'm not breaking any WB rules by using my husbands account, but when my husband gets back I'll probably be without a pc and back to my previous life. So, there is already too many accounts set up and no one using them. It seems out of all the members to WB its a very small percentage that actually uses it on any regular basis. hikerwife

SGT Rock
05-02-2005, 11:36
Official answer: No rules are being broken. But you are invited to get an account even if you never plan to post :D they are free and anyone connected to the community is invited even if they don't hike. My wife refuses to hike and has an account ;)

Footslogger
05-02-2005, 11:40
I used the Frogg Toggs (jacket only) on my thru in 2003. Bought the whole set in Hot Springs. Carried the jacket all the way to Katahdin but found very little use for the pants and sent them home.

Recently I purchased a "Packa" and will be taking it on it's maiden vogage next week between Kincora and Damascus. If the Packa pans out I will probably stop carrying a rain coat all together.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Peaks
05-02-2005, 16:33
I used the Frogg Toggs (jacket only) on my thru in 2003. Bought the whole set in Hot Springs. Carried the jacket all the way to Katahdin but found very little use for the pants and sent them home.

Gee, the Frogg Togg rain pants are the only long pants I carry during the summer. And they do get used when it's chilly or damp.

Sp2Go2Adventure
05-02-2005, 16:50
Thanks for all the help!

Footslogger
05-02-2005, 18:05
Gee, the Frogg Togg rain pants are the only long pants I carry during the summer. And they do get used when it's chilly or damp.=========================================
No problem per se with the Frogg Togg pants. I had a pair of lightweight nylon pants with me and just preferred them over the Frogg Togg pants.

'Slogger
AT 2003