PDA

View Full Version : Been out on the trail

FatMan
08-21-2012, 14:09
I have been out day hiking the trail for the past 5 days. I was really quite surprised at how delightful it has been since what I found looked absolutely nothing like I read here. I'm a fat old man so I don't go too far but in the 35-40 miles I have hiked I was shocked that I didn't find any homeless. any squatters, any people forcing religion on me, any guns, any mace, litter, viscous dogs, trashed shelters, or trashed campsites. And thankfully, none of the hikers I passed were worthy of a heads up to anyone.

I must admit, I did run into a local dog who happily played with mine and then left for home after about .25 miles. And I don't know if it counts but one of the hikers wished me a blessed day.

All in all, it was a wonderful five days with magnificent weather with temps maxing out at about 73 degrees and water is running everywhere. Looks like I got a break in the global warming thing so no need to post about that. There was some rain, but I guess that might have been either God's fault or maybe just physical nature. I am not smart enough to say.

I got to thinking, since what I found was so contrary to what I read on this website maybe I should stop reading here or maybe all of those here who are hiking with their fingers should actually get out on the trail and get off their keyboards.

Just a thought.

FatMan
08-21-2012, 14:16
Although I didn't find any viscous dogs, I didn't find any vicious dogs either.;)

Water Rat
08-21-2012, 14:51
I have been out day hiking the trail for the past 5 days. I was really quite surprised at how delightful it has been since what I found looked absolutely nothing like I read here. I'm a fat old man so I don't go too far but in the 35-40 miles I have hiked I was shocked that I didn't find any homeless. any squatters, any people forcing religion on me, any guns, any mace, litter, viscous dogs, trashed shelters, or trashed campsites. And thankfully, none of the hikers I passed were worthy of a heads up to anyone.

I must admit, I did run into a local dog who happily played with mine and then left for home after about .25 miles. And I don't know if it counts but one of the hikers wished me a blessed day.

All in all, it was a wonderful five days with magnificent weather with temps maxing out at about 73 degrees and water is running everywhere. Looks like I got a break in the global warming thing so no need to post about that. There was some rain, but I guess that might have been either God's fault or maybe just physical nature. I am not smart enough to say.

I got to thinking, since what I found was so contrary to what I read on this website maybe I should stop reading here or maybe all of those here who are hiking with their fingers should actually get out on the trail and get off their keyboards.

Just a thought.

Based on what I have been reading here, I would have to say your hike was just a figment of your imagination. :)

Glad you had an awesome hike! Hope you had fun.

V Eight
08-21-2012, 14:55

Just a thought.

YEA, well .... well .... um ......well ......

I bet your pack is to heavy! er .... a .... I mean too lite AND you took a tent and not a hammock or no wait
um .. .. um .... How can you possibly get any sleep in a hammock!:D

It seems we hike with the same crowd as that is what I usually find.

Glad you had a good time:banana

Kryptonite
08-21-2012, 14:55
LOL Or maybe you hiked 35-40 miles instead of 2,184 miles. :) Glad that you had a good time!

Chaco Taco
08-21-2012, 15:54

Just a thought.
So where did you go?:)

daddytwosticks
08-21-2012, 15:56
Will I get in trouble if I say a big AMEN to your observations? :)

A1ien
08-21-2012, 16:06
Although I didn't find any viscous dogs, I didn't find any vicious dogs either.;)

i question the viscosity of your statements

Tipi Walter
08-21-2012, 20:55
i question the viscosity of your statements

The viscous Dog probably consumed mistletoe while out on the trail and turned it into Viscum which gums up the works causing his fluids and/or pee to become thick, etc.

FatMan
08-21-2012, 21:49
The viscous Dog probably consumed mistletoe while out on the trail and turned it into Viscum which gums up the works causing his fluids and/or pee to become thick, etc.As I said, I didn't find any viscous dogs. But I will definitely be on the watch for one. It sounds very serious.:D

10-K
08-21-2012, 22:07
You obviously had a Sawyer In-Line Water Filter.... :)

Old Boots
08-21-2012, 22:10
Amazing! You must be blessed.

mag
08-21-2012, 22:12
Sounds like you've been having a religious experience. Oh, it that wrong to say?

IrishBASTARD
08-22-2012, 08:01
"I got to thinking, since what I found was so contrary to what I read on this website maybe I should stop reading here or maybe all of those here who are hiking with their fingers should actually get out on the trail and get off their keyboards."

Just a thought. Yea fatman most of us ALL are HIKERS...I am on the trail trying to finish a THRU-hike. People complain because its what out there that forces us to. THIRTY FIVE- WHATEVER YOU HIKED...is a scratch at the surface. THE A.T is not all sunshine and hapiness. FOR ANYONE either physical or emotional...its a journey of a lifetime. HAVE SEEN WILD DOGS RELIGON GUNS DRUGS...battered shelters trash EVERYWHERE in some areas. Thought the crap blossoms were BS...they are not and they were plentiful this year so far. By hiking a small amount does not make anyone an expert so I suggest...hike farther and during BUSY SEASON. So in closing you should be the one to drop the "keyboards" and hike.

Water Rat
08-22-2012, 08:08
"I got to thinking, since what I found was so contrary to what I read on this website maybe I should stop reading here or maybe all of those here who are hiking with their fingers should actually get out on the trail and get off their keyboards."

Just a thought. Yea fatman most of us ALL are HIKERS...I am on the trail trying to finish a THRU-hike. People complain because its what out there that forces us to. THIRTY FIVE- WHATEVER YOU HIKED...is a scratch at the surface. THE A.T is not all sunshine and hapiness. FOR ANYONE either physical or emotional...its a journey of a lifetime. HAVE SEEN WILD DOGS RELIGON GUNS DRUGS...battered shelters trash EVERYWHERE in some areas. Thought the crap blossoms were BS...they are not and they were plentiful this year so far. By hiking a small amount does not make anyone an expert so I suggest...hike farther and during BUSY SEASON. So in closing you should be the one to drop the "keyboards" and hike.

Well, you're just a cheerful ball of sunshine this morning, aren't ya? Haven't you ever heard that you get out of life what you put into it? Maybe if you were a tad nicer to others, your hike would be working out better for you.

Just sayin'.

Train Wreck
08-22-2012, 08:34
Well, you're just a cheerful ball of sunshine this morning, aren't ya? Haven't you ever heard that you get out of life what you put into it? Maybe if you were a tad nicer to others, your hike would be working out better for you.

Just sayin'.

Irish Bastard (or whatever other identity he is wearing today) is just trolling again. Some people are just so miserable that the can only get joy by trying to rob others of theirs.

FatMan, I liked your post - where did you go? I might need a little R&R on your little slice of AT paradise!

Water Rat
08-22-2012, 08:43
Irish Bastard (or whatever other identity he is wearing today) is just trolling again. Some people are just so miserable that the can only get joy by trying to rob others of theirs.

FatMan, I liked your post - where did you go? I might need a little R&R on your little slice of AT paradise!

Yeah, I know. Just tired of the trolls raining on the parades of people who are actually enjoying life.

Gray Blazer
08-22-2012, 08:48

Just sayin'.

Pardon my friend, he has TS.

Fatman, it sounds like you would have had a better time if you had run into the Family?

Chaco Taco
08-22-2012, 08:48
Yeah, I know. Just tired of the trolls raining on the parades of people who are actually enjoying life.

Seriously, Id hate to run into this guy, says he is hiking. Not for long...

Train Wreck
08-22-2012, 08:49

I wish I could remember who posted this first, and I would give them credit.

Water Rat
08-22-2012, 08:50

Oh, now THAT is a wonderful invention!! Where can we stock up on that? I think we'll need to order a truckload! :)

Water Rat
08-22-2012, 08:53
Seriously, Id hate to run into this guy, says he is hiking. Not for long...

No doubt! I'd much rather hang with FatMan - He has an awesome outlook on trail life! Two thumbs up!

Chaco Taco
08-22-2012, 08:55

Where are you if you are hiking? Id like to know so I can avoid being anywhere near you when you get up here.

Train Wreck
08-22-2012, 09:02
Oh, now THAT is a wonderful invention!! Where can we stock up on that? I think we'll need to order a truckload! :)

Check for the new thread! Everyone should have a can nearby!

Rasty
08-22-2012, 09:06

Sarcasm the Elf?

Train Wreck
08-22-2012, 09:09
Sarcasm the Elf?

Possibly. I really don't remember. He can step up and claim all the internets for this if he wants to. And all the cyber-profits from satisfied users! :D

Rasty
08-22-2012, 09:13
Sarcasm the Elf?

Possibly. I really don't remember. He can step up and claim all the internets for this if he wants to. And all the cyber-profits from satisfied users! :D

It possible he/she is the just the middleman.

coach lou
08-22-2012, 09:17

The Elfs name is Dave.........fine young man from Stamford, Connecticut. One of WOOs' graphic arts deciples.

Rasty
08-22-2012, 09:22

The Elfs name is Dave.........fine young man from Stamford, Connecticut. One of WOOs' graphic arts deciples.

I thought he was a he but second guessed myself. Thanks.

Train Wreck
08-22-2012, 09:24
I thought he was a he but second guessed myself. Thanks.

Then you really should have said middlePERSON.

Thirsty DPD
08-22-2012, 09:28

IB, Enough already!!!

Same glass, some think it's half full, some half empty.............then there are those that can't see the glass, ..... or the forest for the trees...... or the joy & freedom of being on the trail. They know no joy, & don't know the meaning of freedom.

FatMan, Angus & I, are out for 4-8 miles everyday & have a similar experience. I come to WB for advise, information, & inspiration from "like minded people" w/ a common passion, unfortunately I share a similar experience here. It's a wonder the beginner backpacker would ever set foot on the AT knowing some of the folks from this site are out there. Nice thread, thanks.

Water Rat
08-22-2012, 09:36
IB, Enough already!!!

Same glass, some think it's half full, some half empty.............then there are those that can't see the glass, ..... or the forest for the trees...... or the joy & freedom of being on the trail. They know no joy, & don't know the meaning of freedom.

FatMan, Angus & I, are out for 4-8 miles everyday & have a similar experience. I come to WB for advise, information, & inspiration from "like minded people" w/ a common passion, unfortunately I share a similar experience here. It's a wonder the beginner backpacker would ever set foot on the AT knowing some of the folks from this site are out there. Nice thread, thanks.

I wanna hike with you guys - The trail you guys hike, is similar to the trails I have always hiked. I have no idea where IB is hiking (or, if he is really even hiking), but I don't want to be anywhere near him. He seems to be a magnet for all that is bad in the world.

Thank you for your post! Keep on havin' fun out there! :)

Thirsty DPD
08-22-2012, 09:56
I wanna hike with you guys - The trail you guys hike, is similar to the trails I have always hiked. I have no idea where IB is hiking (or, if he is really even hiking), but I don't want to be anywhere near him. He seems to be a magnet for all that is bad in the world.

Thank you for your post! Keep on havin' fun out there! :)

Your welcome to join us anytime. Warning; Angus is a Border Collie, but he is really smart, even understands words like joy & freedom. He has a great nose, can smell 'a dog on the trail basher a mile off'. Niether of us bite.

moocow
08-22-2012, 10:19
Glad you had an awesome trip. I haven't been out in months. Your post reminded me that I needed to get back out and experience what I've been missing.

Rasty
08-22-2012, 10:31
Then you really should have said middlePERSON.

I stand corrected! The whole PC is new to me!:)

Water Rat
08-22-2012, 10:39
Your welcome to join us anytime. Warning; Angus is a Border Collie, but he is really smart, even understands words like joy & freedom. He has a great nose, can smell 'a dog on the trail basher a mile off'. Niether of us bite.

Nice! I have two furry hiking buddies, as well. They love to meet new friends (except squirrels). I have never seen them bite, but they sure do smile and wag their tails a lot. :) If I ask them if they "want to go for a hike," one of them will even run and open the closet door to get her pack out. They are pretty awesome hiking buddies.

Water Rat
08-22-2012, 10:39
I stand corrected! The whole PC is new to me!:)

Have you been using a laptop instead?

Thirsty DPD
08-22-2012, 10:50
Nice! I have two furry hiking buddies, as well. They love to meet new friends (except squirrels). I have never seen them bite, but they sure do smile and wag their tails a lot. :) If I ask them if they "want to go for a hike," one of them will even run and open the closet door to get her pack out. They are pretty awesome hiking buddies.

They are great hiking companions, they keep us smilin'............this has me thinking.........what if I could find a rescue dog in the Pittsburgh area with a split personality.........see where I'm goin'?

Train Wreck
08-22-2012, 10:54
They are great hiking companions, they keep us smilin'............this has me thinking.........what if I could find a rescue dog in the Pittsburgh area with a split personality.........see where I'm goin'?

you would need to get it vaccinated for rabies twice, I think

Water Rat
08-22-2012, 11:00

Definitely vaccinated twice for distemper!

Thirsty DPD
08-22-2012, 11:01

Probably, but money's no object if it would work. Troll-be-Gone seems to be moderately effective.

rich5665
08-22-2012, 11:02
FatMan - Thanks for the update. I'm glad you had a good time.

Thirsty DPD
08-22-2012, 11:02

There goes the coffe!

Thirsty DPD
08-22-2012, 11:03
There goes the coffe!

Coffee.............

Water Rat
08-22-2012, 11:04
There goes the coffe!

I've had that problem the past two mornings...My keyboard is really going to need a good cleaning at this rate!

Train Wreck
08-22-2012, 11:09

:bananaWIN!

Lone Wolf
08-22-2012, 11:12

come hang around damascus about the 1st of may...

Rasty
08-22-2012, 12:06
Have you been using a laptop instead?

Politically Correct! :)
My TSR-80 works just fine!

Water Rat
08-22-2012, 12:09
Politically Correct! :)
My TSR-80 works just fine!

Heh heh... I had to ask. Figured you were talking that PC, but just couldn't resist the giggle.

Rasty
08-22-2012, 12:10
Heh heh... I had to ask. Figured you were talking that PC, but just couldn't resist the giggle.

But my TSR-80 works great. It has a cassette tape player and everything.

Water Rat
08-22-2012, 12:12
But my TSR-80 works great. It has a cassette tape player and everything.

*banging head on counter* Yeah, well I still have my walkman...so there! :)

Darwin13
08-26-2012, 06:23
I get what the OP is saying. Sometimes on this website people can com off as dark or pessimistic, whether they actually are trying to be or not. I find all the information on this site crucial to my thru hike and really any hiking planing. Yea people are talking about rain and bears and trash and homeless and blah blah blah. But isnt that why we all do it? The freedom, the little bit of chaos mixed in with an almost (and strangely) militaristic lifestyle that we create for ourselves. I.e. you wake up, have your morning routine, hike, after hike routine, sleep x4 months.

Toli
08-26-2012, 07:29

Just a thought.

Awesome post John, and an honest take on the trail in Georgia... Miss getting out with you, Cooper and Toby... Oh... Sharon too... lol... I haven't been here in NE Pa. that long, but its the same here... Nice people, cool dogs, nothing crazy going on... AND all the Boy Scouts I've seen/met were very well behaved... Go figure...

Papa D
08-26-2012, 08:15
bad experiences on typical weekend hike on the AT are rare - it's nice that you had a good time. If you are at it long enough though - say 5-6 weekends or a 100 or more mile hike, you'll eventually run into something that you don't like - - then, you can post that thing here and then everybody will pile on and tell you why your are wrong. You have a lot to look forward to.

MuddyWaters
08-26-2012, 08:57
There are times and parts of the AT that you can go 2 weeks without seeing another person
And times are parts where you see people every 15 minutes constantly and camp with 30 others at shelters
You were obviously somewhere in between.
congrats on a great experience.

Another Kevin
08-26-2012, 09:38
For what it's worth, my day's trash haul out of Harriman was considerably less than usual. A tin can, a couple or three candy wrappers, a couple of plastic grocery bags, a wad of paper towels, and a mildewed pink tuque. Not bad at all for a summer day trip In suburbIa. Thanks, folks, for keeping it clean. :-)

Drybones
08-26-2012, 12:52
Will I get in trouble if I say a big AMEN to your observations? :)

How dare you inject such hatefull remarks!

Drybones
08-26-2012, 12:57

Dont know why but I cant stop laughing at this post...I feel better about my spelling now...thanks.

Drybones
08-26-2012, 13:01
Good post Fatman.

Mountain Mojo
08-26-2012, 18:29
Glad your hike was pleasurable Fatman! 30 miles, 100 miles, you take the good with the bad and any day you're able to get out and hike you should consider a blessing!

Chaco Taco
08-27-2012, 07:01
Saturday night at Ethan Pond. Small group of people camped there, which is pretty rare for late August. We had the pond to ourselves
This is one reason why we hike so much!

hikerboy57
08-27-2012, 07:07
Just sitting watching the light change
beautiful picture.

Chaco Taco
08-27-2012, 07:15
Just sitting watching the light change
beautiful picture.
About 5-6 beavers out swimmin around on their backs. Suckers were huge. Better than TV! Pond was as smooth as this guy:cool:

hikerboy57
08-27-2012, 07:25
now that's smooth. I had a similar seen at antlers campsite. substitute moons or beaver. surreal. I can't find it on cable..

Chaco Taco
08-27-2012, 07:28
now that's smooth. I had a similar seen at antlers campsite. substitute moons or beaver. surreal. I can't find it on cable..
Past month we have done, Acadia, Sandwich Range, Willey's, and next week, Mahoosucs in MAINE! The next couple of months are going to be awesome. I love fall in New England!

hikerboy57
08-27-2012, 07:34
i did the mahoosucs sobo 2 years ago. you're going to love it. make sure you stay at gentian pond. it has a beautiful view of thecarter moriahs.pics in my gallery. the notch was a lot of fun. coming downmahoosuc arm in the rain was crazy. as much as I love the whites I'm falling in love with Maine

hikerboy57
08-27-2012, 07:37
I meant to say loons for beaver.

Chaco Taco
08-27-2012, 09:15
i did the mahoosucs sobo 2 years ago. you're going to love it. make sure you stay at gentian pond. it has a beautiful view of thecarter moriahs.pics in my gallery. the notch was a lot of fun. coming downmahoosuc arm in the rain was crazy. as much as I love the whites I'm falling in love with Maine
Stayed at Gentian and saw a bull playing in the pond while I ate my breakfast. The Mahoosucs are awesome and cant wait til Friday