PDA

View Full Version : Stuff Sack for Revelation X

jj442434
08-21-2012, 14:36
I am considering buying a Revelation X down quilt, 6' size with a half taper. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with putting one of these, or a similar one, in a stuff sack, and if you have, which sack, or what size do you use?

Thanks

jakedatc
08-21-2012, 15:15
skip the stuff sack. trash compactor bag in the bottom of your pack, stuff quilt in, add anything else you want to keep dry.. clothes etc. twist bag shut, pack other gear on top. it saves space and keeps your quilt in better shape.

jj442434
08-21-2012, 17:42
Any dissenting opinions?

Rasty
08-21-2012, 17:51
Any dissenting opinions?

Hard to disagree with the last post.

MuddyWaters
08-21-2012, 17:58
get a small zpacks sack or drybag if you want to stuff your quilt.
I wholeheartedly agree, it is best not to compress down too much, so i dont usually. In fact with my Ohm, i like my pack nice and squishy, the way its meant to be.

But although it is generally promoted as taking up less room unstuffed, in my experience, it doesnt, it takes up more room. The problem is you cant compress the bag or quilt nearly as much in the pack as you can in a stuffsack. Not even close. you just dont compress you pack nearly the same way.

When you have objects that dont nest together like spheres, etc, the average void fraction of a bunch of them is around 50%. This is pretty close for most objects, from ~40% to 60% void fraction. So you basically need to be able to compress a bag when loose to at least 2x the stuffed size to break even. I find its more like 4-8x in reality. YMMV.

I can EASILY get more in my packs with my sleeping bag or quilt stuffed, than I can if they are loose like I normally do. My 40F quilt will stuff to 6" dia x 6" easily in a small zpacks drybag.

leaftye
08-21-2012, 18:14
I prefer a stuff sack over a plastic bag mostly because the opening can be cinched closed, or nearly so. I've found that works better in letting the air out than with the twisted top of a plastic bag. In any case, if it's wet out, I'll put my quilt in my oversize clothing stuff sack, which will go into a plastic bag.

@MuddyWaters

It depends on the pack and how you pack. I do agree that most packs don't make compression as easy as a standalone compression sack.

jj442434
08-21-2012, 19:36
I will be using a GoLite Gust pack, frameless, and it seems somewhat notorious for a lack of horizontal compression. jakedatc and rastraikis, would this change your opinion at all?

jakedatc
08-21-2012, 19:52
you are going to want a pack liner anyway so give it a shot.. if it doesn't work then find a stuff sack for it. box of compactor bags (unscented) costs like 3 bucks for 5 of them

Rasty
08-21-2012, 19:53
I will be using a GoLite Gust pack, frameless, and it seems somewhat notorious for a lack of horizontal compression. jakedatc and rastraikis, would this change your opinion at all?

Try the plastic first. Only out about $1.

jakedatc
08-21-2012, 19:59
Try the plastic first. Only out about $1.

i win! ;) bahaha