PDA

View Full Version : Sobo locator

Mbmsg
08-21-2012, 19:12
Any idea when a bubble sobo will passing through pa? Would like too do a little trail magic if not to late. Any good place to monitor sobo locations ? Journals, forums.... Did a pretty big search with no luck.

CBTeach
08-21-2012, 21:51
I'm curious when they may be passing through CT as well. I believe I met one yesterday, but forgot to ask if he was a thru. Oops.

Ktaadn
08-22-2012, 14:44
Last October I did some trail work in PA and saw a handful of SOBO's pass by. You can usually tell if someone is a thru-hiker by how fast they are moving. I'm always impressed by their pace.

I'm hiking in PA next month and hope to run into a few.

Where were you thinking of setting up the trail magic?

gsimp18
08-22-2012, 16:28
I'm a SOBO in duncannon, PA right now. The bubble should be about a week and a half to two weeks north right now

HikerMom58
08-23-2012, 08:04
Good to know.... gsimp18. Keep us updated if you don't mind. The Roanoke VA Trail Angel Club would love to set some trail magic for the sometimes overlooked SOBO's. :)

hikerboy57
08-23-2012, 13:26
i met quite a few floppers going sobo this month in maine, so weve got a long way to go.you may have a second bubble, as many people flipped to get out of the heat.

HikerMom58
08-23-2012, 13:37
i met quite a few floppers going sobo this month in maine, so weve got a long way to go.you may have a second bubble, as many people flipped to get out of the heat.

Hum... interesting info, HB. A few years ago, I knew of 2 girls, that flipped. They didn't show up until late Sept. I wish there was a good way of "catching" all the SOBO's. I feel like they get overlooked b/c the group isn't as big as the NOBO's and trail angels are finished doing trail magic, for the year. Most of them are moving at a pretty good clip by the time they hit VA. :)

Seems like you enjoyed your trip... glad you are home safe. :)

Trubrit
08-24-2012, 00:43
I have had 23 SOBO's through Bastian and have stayed at my place here. i am expecting around 45 or so more from emails and reports from NOBO's that stayed here and have passed on the information about Fort Bastian.They should start turning up in about 10 days.

HikerMom58
08-24-2012, 10:02
Wow, thanks for the info Trubrit. Sounds like you have a good handle on the SOBO bubble! :) I'll have to get back up in those shelters with some magic in about 10 days then. Black horse gap is a good spot for a set up 2. Water is still not the best around here either. I have a good buddy that I met on the trail. He's been pushing me not to forget his SOBO bud's., that he met while finishing up his thru hike earlier this year. :) We def. need to stay in touch.