PDA

View Full Version : Audit our White Mountain hike

Snakepit
08-21-2012, 23:20
I would love to get everyones opinion on a loose hiking plan for going through the White Mountains.

Day One- Rt. 3 (Franconia Notch) to Liberty Springs Tent site – 3 m
Day Two- Liberty Springs to Garfield Ridge Shelter – 7.5m
Day Three- Garfield Ridge Shelter to Ethan Pond Shelter - 15m
Day Four- Ethan Pond Shelter to Nauman Tent Site – 12.5m
Day Five- Nauman Tent Site to Madison Spring Hut – 11.5m
Day Six- Madison Spring Hut to Osgood Tentsite – 3m
Day Seven- Osgood Campsite to Imp Shelter – 18m
Day Eight- Imp Shelter to Rattle River Shelter – 6m
Day Nine- Rattle Shake River Shelter to Rt. 2 & 16 – 2m

Are these days realistic for hikers that want to see the sites and have a decent amount of time for lunch. We are hikers in our mid-20's, in good shape and we have put in about 125 hiking miles this summer. Any other advice?

Thanks

burger
08-22-2012, 06:27
I did the same section a few years back. I made it to Garfield Ridge on day 1 and Ethan Pond on Day 2. Both are doable if you are in good shape. The climb out of Franconia notch is not bad compared to some other big climbs in the Whites.

Also, 3 miles on day 6 and then 18 on day 7 is kind of crazy. The climb down Madison is steep, but you won't need to call it a day immediately after. At the very least, hike down to Pinkham notch and stay there, where you can get food. The section from Pinkham to Imp is HARD, and I wouldn't want to do 18 miles through the Carters as a section hiker. I stayed at Madison Hut one night and then camped at the Wildcat Ski Area the next night and Imp shelter the following night.

Imp Shelter to Rattle River is not a very hard or scenic section, and as a full day's hike, I would personally find that kind of disappointing. But YMMV.

hikerboy57
08-22-2012, 06:36
Agree.take a night at pinkham.osgood to imp is close to impossible in one day,plan on a camp eithet at the ski ares or carter notch.then hike from imp to rt.2

tdoczi
08-22-2012, 06:38
I would love to get everyones opinion on a loose hiking plan for going through the White Mountains.

Are these days realistic for hikers that want to see the sites and have a decent amount of time for lunch. We are hikers in our mid-20's, in good shape and we have put in about 125 hiking miles this summer. Any other advice?

Thanks

i agree that day 7 might be over doing it. also, no reason to stop at rattle river, just do imp shelter to the highway and go do something else with the extra day.

peakbagger
08-22-2012, 08:20

Thanks

Day 5 is "bear" - I would visit the RMC facilities on the slopes of Mt Adams instead of Madision Hut(Crag Camp is in a quite spectacular location). Note if the weather is bad, doing this stretch of above treeline on Day 5 is just about impossible as its completely exposed.

This will extend Day 6 a bit but I would head past Osgood tentsite and keep heading towards Pinkham as Day 7 has some very steep ups and downs.

jakedatc
08-22-2012, 09:40
While i've done Wildcats and carter to Imp in a day on day 7 that is going to hurt.. i agree with the others try to make more progress day 6. The walk out from Imp is not bad. i suggest taking the short side trail up mt Moriah if the weather is good for some great views. can still make it to the road in 1 day

Snakepit
08-23-2012, 12:12
This is great stuff, thanks guys! We will be making some adjustments.

First, we will combine the final two days so we can have built in weather/ zero day.

We will stay at Wildcat Ski area at the end of day six to balance day six and seven better. Could you give me any extra info on the Ski area? We will be tenting. Is there a fee? water? food? how to access it?

For day five, since it will be a 'bear' of a day are there any stealth tenting sites beyond Nauman Tent Site that would shorten that day a bit.

Thanks in advance.

Blissful
08-23-2012, 12:29
You can't camp by the ski lift areas. I managed to find one small spot on one of the WIldcats to put up a single man tent. Space is rather tough to find.

Just stay at Nauman. It won't be too bad, the toughest part is Webster Cliff Trail. take it easy on that.

The Whites are really tough. Don't underestimate it. And take cold weather gear, maps and some extra food just in case.

HikerMom58
08-23-2012, 13:04
I'm paying close attention to this thread. I want to go back to my home state one day and hike The Whites with my daughter. I know we will need to be prepared for all weather conditions that can change in an instant. I'll keep watching for a trip review from you, Snakepit, if you post one. Have a great hike!

hikerboy57
08-23-2012, 13:22
you might want to consider crag camp to pinkham, pinkham to carter notch, then to imp, then out.the wildcats are tough, as well as the descent and ascent in and out of the notch. wants youre on carter dome, its comparatively easy(i said comparatively). plenty of puds in the carter moriah range.

burger
08-23-2012, 16:53
You can't camp by the ski lift areas. I managed to find one small spot on one of the WIldcats to put up a single man tent. Space is rather tough to find.

News to me. 6 or 7 hikers camped there the night I stayed there. I don't recall seeing any signs prohibiting camping, and there's nothing in the Companion about it. I say if there aren't any signs saying "no camping" and you're below treeline, enjoy! It's a totally disturbed area anyway, and campers are not going to have much impact.

rustmd
08-23-2012, 20:44
this summer i hiked all of NH. it was a blast but a huge challenge, and i grew up hiking in the whites so i knew what was up.

from franconia notch to liberty springs--good
liberty springs to garfield--good
garfield shelter to ethan pond--there is a good stealth tent site just after zealand hut, maybe 1/2 mile, will help getting to nauman tent site.
nauman tent site to madison hut--good, make sure you have reservations, will be a long day, trail challenging
madison hut to osgood tent site--osgood trail is really, really challenging!!! steep down, down, down, steep, steep!
osgood tent to imp shelter--NOT SO GOOD! this will be HUGE!!! way better to stop at pinkham!
imp shelter to rattle river shelter--good
rattle river shelter to Rt. 2--good

NH/AT section was a blast for me, but it is very challenging, check your equipment, keep an eye on the weather, don't try to rush this section.

dottie

DavidNH
08-23-2012, 21:42
I'd recommend spending a night at Pinkham Notch Camp rather than Osgood Camp Site. At PNC you can get a shower, clean bed, and all you can eat food. I mean all you can eat even for the hungriest of hikers. your mileage seems realistic to me. Are you planing a resupply in there somewhere? if not.. you'll e hauling very heavy packs.

be sure to have contingency plans in case weather goes down the tubes.

david

Snakepit
08-23-2012, 22:06
We are on a budget and we can't pay to stay at Pinkham lodge. Could we pitch a tent at Pinkham for less money? Given the two posts referring to Wildcat Ski area, it doesn't seem reliable and we would only take the option if we had to.

Are there any other areas to camp between Madison and Imp that make sense mileage wise. stealth sites? And if stealth do you have any good instructions to find them.

Rain Man
08-26-2012, 11:02
The Whites are really tough. Don't underestimate it. And take cold weather gear, maps and some extra food just in case.

Could not agree more. I just returned yesterday from New Hampshire. Hiked from Hanover to the summit of Mt. Washington in about 12 days. None of the miles are easy and some of the ascents and descents are almost brutal. We did a 16 mile and a 14 mile day (both slackpacking) but I would not recommend those miles to anyone wanting to enjoy the hike. The trail up there is nothing like most of the other 1,000 miles I've done on the AT. My normal two-mile-an-hour pace was cut to a mile-an-hour or less. When I go back to finish the Whites (perhaps next summer), I'll probably hike hut-to-hut and enjoy myself. Did that a few days on this hike, and it made all the difference.

But, hike your own hike.

I'll be posting photos and a trip report in the next day or two.

Rain:sunMan

Chaco Taco
08-26-2012, 19:40
Make sure to check the AMC status of places as well. Some places start closing soon, huts included.

The terrain is much harder up here and the climbs are straight up, no switchbacks like down south. 14-17 days is not the norm. Id stick with 11 miles a day, give or take a mile or so either way.