PDA

View Full Version : Question about sleeping pads, opinions pls

KevinH
08-22-2012, 17:58
I'm 60 and get pretty sore trying to sleep on my side with a thin pad eg .75 thick Thermarest. I currently am very happy with Big Agnes mummy shape 2.5" inflatable, can easily sleep on side, not hard to inflate/deflate, so far durable in the Grand Canyon, Wonderland Trl etc. But, I'm wondering if I would get used to a Thermarest Z-Lite, I like the compact foldup design, and would be near indestructible. Opinions about getting used to sleeping on these typical thin pads? I'm wondering if I would rather have a Z-Lite on the AT after a week getting used to it. Thanks

Moose2001
08-22-2012, 18:14
I'm also a side sleeper. Used a Z-lite for the first 1000 miles of the PCT. Never could get comfortable. Finally got my thermarest back and it was such a wonderful feeling!

The Cleaner
08-22-2012, 18:15
IMO after getting a Prolite plus I could never go back to closed-cell foam...

Don H
08-22-2012, 21:18
I'm a side sleeper and have been using a NeoAir for two years including a thru-hike. I wouldn't trade it for any foam or self inflating pad made today.

MuddyWaters
08-22-2012, 22:39
I hear ya. Waking up in middle of night hurting isnt fun.
I can sleep on anything on my stomach, using a quilt.

No, I dont think you will "get used to it", its just really not comfortable. Its "bearable".

attroll
08-23-2012, 22:45
Moved this thread to the "General Gear Talk" forum.

bigcranky
08-24-2012, 22:44
I'll use a 3/4 Z-lite in my hammock in the summer. Keeps me warm without the expense of an underquilt. Other than that it's just never been comfortable, and I don't expect that I will "get used to it." My Prolite 4 is reasonably comfortable on the ground, and the minimum I would take.

But yeah, I understand the appeal of the CCF pad -- it lives on the outside of the pack for instant access, can't be punctured or otherwise damaged, and lasts for years. Too bad I can't, you know, sleep on it.

map man
08-24-2012, 23:35
After sleeping less than comfortably for years on a Z-lite, the last couple years I now sleep on a neo-air with the Z-lite on top of that! Yes, the combination weighs in at about 1.75 pounds, but I now sleep both warm and comfortable. I sleep more comfortably that in some beds I've slept on. I figure I save enough weight in some other areas to afford the luxury. I see almost everyone who has responded to this thread is in the 50-60 age group and us 50-somethings need decent sleep on the trail else we get a bit cranky!

dla
08-25-2012, 14:24
I'm 60 and get pretty sore trying to sleep on my side with a thin pad eg .75 thick Thermarest. I currently am very happy with Big Agnes mummy shape 2.5" inflatable, can easily sleep on side, not hard to inflate/deflate, so far durable in the Grand Canyon, Wonderland Trl etc. But, I'm wondering if I would get used to a Thermarest Z-Lite, I like the compact foldup design, and would be near indestructible. Opinions about getting used to sleeping on these typical thin pads? I'm wondering if I would rather have a Z-Lite on the AT after a week getting used to it. Thanks

I've got a solution for you, but it is off-topic (hint - 7 letters - h_____k) :)

I ended up doubling pads. At one point I used a full-length and shorty Z-Rest pads. Then I had to do a lot of fiddling to find the right head height for a pillow - which was usually my pack (head angle very important). My son uses an inflatable, and has popped it multiple times. Closed cell foam pads don't deflate in the middle of the night - which is the main reason I like them. Before I headed to the trees, I was experimenting with multiple small pieces of CCF to create a custom pad for me - figured I could alleviate the pressure points that come with side-sleeping.

Wise Old Owl
08-25-2012, 14:42
I with DLA and The Cleaner on this. 7 letters cute! Obvious you cant do this in the some parts canyon but this really gets back to using your noggin and looking for a duff like locations and avoid depressions.... You wouldn't pitch in the middle of a trail because its so damn compacted - find spots with lots of leaves and moss and pitch on that.

http://www.rei.com/product/829822/therm-a-rest-prolite-plus-sleeping-pad

mykl
08-27-2012, 08:53
I guess I understand. I recently switched from a 25" Thermarest Pro Lite Plus to a Z Lite. I'm a side sleeper as well and it is working for me. I didn't think it would, but it does. One thing I don't like about the Z Lite is the way it feels on bare skin when it's hot n humid. Placing it in an old sleeping liner makes it much better. The main reason I switch was for convenience really. I like the fold, strap to pack and go thing with the Z. I find deflating, folding, rolling and squeezing the Pro Lite into the sack to be a time consuming, annoying pain in the neck. Also, my Pro Lite is covered with patches from years of use. I don't need the patch kit in the pack anymore for the "patch by headlamp and wait until dry" sessions.
You should try it though. I was skeptical at first and ready to return in after it's first trip. I didn't, and have been using it often.

Whack-a-mole
08-27-2012, 10:11
I use a Prolite Plus, as I'm pretty big and heavy. I pretty much mash smaller closed cell pads down and they don't do a whole lot of cushioning for me. I know I'm adding a little weight to my pack, but I do this to have fun, and waking up several times a night with numb or hurting hips simply isn't fun. I have found that for me, it is worth it to have a little extra weight, but be more comfortable through the night. It's funny that when I was younger I would put up with a thin pad and stuff, but as I've gotten older, I need my comfort.

Drybones
08-27-2012, 14:45
After trying several pads I've settled on the Exped Synmat UL. The thing is expensive but gives me the best sleep and weighs only 16 oz. These old bones have been rode hard and put up wet too many times and need all the help they can get. Had the best night's sleep last night I've had in a while...set up the tent and slept in the back yard. The synmat is much quieter than the Neo Air. The Big Agnes Insulated Aircore is similar but heavier and noisier...pretty comfortable tho. I tried the Thermarest Prolite Plus but my back hurt on it, the wife had the same problem, I have one stashed under my bed if anyone wants to buy it.

Bucho
08-28-2012, 19:33
Opinions about getting used to sleeping on these typical thin pads? I'm wondering if I would rather have a Z-Lite on the AT after a week getting used to it. Thanks

I know different gear can start looking pretty shiny in the store but what you've got is so so much more comfortable, I'd stick with the Big Agnes.

fredmugs
08-30-2012, 07:54
I have a Big Agnes mummy inflatable as well and really like it. One time I actually took out one of those full length pool inflatables. They started out great but would lose air throughout the night.