PDA

View Full Version : SuperFeet and Cho-Pat

nehiker
08-22-2012, 23:32
I have finally gotten Green Superfeet insoles and Cho-Pat knee wraps.

I tried to cut the Superfeet following the instructions. I then went on a walk in them, maybe 7-8 miles, all flat, except for perhaps 50' very step drop from an overpassing road to the road below. It all felt quite good until I came back. I started walking barefoot at home, and it turned out I had hot spots below the bones where the two big toes attach. Then I noticed a small crease in each of the two Superfeet insoles roughly in the right place, but they looked a bit too small compared to the size of the hot spots. I tried cutting the insoles more, but this did not seem to help, at least not much. I repeated the same walk, but now with thicker Smartwool socks, instead UltiMax CoolMax socks (which are only slightly thicker than regular white socks). I still got hot spots, but smaller ones. I do not have this problem with the original insoles, even with the CoolMax socks. Any advice on how to eliminate the creasers? Or do the Superfeet insoles have rougher surface than regular insoles? I have Lowa Renegades, btw. The Superfeet seem to be better on my knees.

I also got Cho-Pat knee wraps. Since my left knee (for which it is primarily intended) came out 16' (M/L junction) and right knee a bit more, I got one M and one L. I tried the M on my left knee. I think it helped the knee, but there was a bit of pressure on the back side, on the tendon there (or whatever that thing that moves is). I kind of got used to it after a while, but the next day that tendon felt a little funny. Any advice? What happens when these things get wet/soaked?

Many thanks.

Blissful
08-23-2012, 07:29
I never cut my Superfeet, so not sure on that issue. I did get some blister issues with them, but have calluses now so no issues. As far as my Cho pat, when it got wet, I wore it anyway and let it dry out in the sun.

Don H
08-23-2012, 07:56
Superfeet instructions tell you that you need to get use to them by wearing them for short periods of time to start with.
I never noticed a crease in them, maybe they're too long for your shoes.
Don't know where you got your Superfeet but an outfitter can help you fit them.
They do need to be trimmed for some shoe sizes, like Blissful I don't trim mine.
I know if you cut them too short that will cause blisters on your toes rubbing on the edge.

I used a Cho-Pat brace for a week last year on my thru because I started getting Iliotibial Band Syndrome (ITB Syndrome). It helped.
I would talk with an orthopedic before I used them full time.

Not Sunshine
08-23-2012, 08:35
I use the regular simple chopat. make sure they are low on your knee - just above the tibial tuberosity (the little bump on your shin bone at the very bottom of your knee). also, make sure they're not too tight.

You bought chopat straps because....??? I wear them because I have patellar tendon pain due to a weak quadriceps muscle after an ACL repair. I have pain in the front of the knee and the strap helps put a little bit of pressure at a lower fulcrum point on the tendon to reduce the pain. Works great.

Good luck!