PDA

View Full Version : Frostline Kits

Rightfoot
08-23-2012, 10:44
Back in the early 70's I purchased 3 Frostline kits, a tent, a winter parka and a vest. Never having been in front of a sewing machine it was a learning experience to say the least but the final products came out excellent. The vest is now thread bare and leaks down from every inch and is headed to the trash although I would like to salvage the down. The parka I still use in deep cold and is well used but decent shape. The tent, well thats another story (got too close to a fire one night) and is no longer although it did weigh about 6 pounds or so and was too heavy to carry at least by todays standards. My question is this... I would like to try another kit (either precut or from pattern) and have been looking for a source. I have seen thruhiker.com but their selection is limited. Anyone have a good source where they have had success?

Regards

HikerMom58
08-23-2012, 11:02
Hummm.... you got my attention! I had never heard of these kits before... I did a quick google search on it. I got quite a few hits. Looks like ebay had a lot of kits. Don't know if this would turn out to be a good source or not. It's worth a try. I'm glad you had good luck with sewing. :)

Buffalo Skipper
08-23-2012, 12:14
I too, don't know much about these kits. But I can add that you may want to consider a source of HIGH quality down (I cannot speak for what come in the kit). You would not need much.

Several of the hammock quilt manufacturers will provide small quantities of down for a reasonable price.

wannahike
08-23-2012, 13:57
Quest Outfitters sells kits. http://www.questoutfitters.com/index.html
I saw a handmade Bilgy tent and it had lots of room. And

garlic08
08-23-2012, 14:54
Wow, talk about memories. Good luck finding a replacement--those kits were fun.

Snowleopard
08-23-2012, 19:56
If you still have any of these left and it still fits, you could use a seam ripper and deconstruct it to make a new pattern. Thruhiker and others have very good quality down; thruhiker can give good advice on materials. Probably thruhiker.com has the best selection of kits. Ray jardine has some kits, probably best for a sleeping quilt rayjardine.com

HeartFire
08-28-2012, 11:01
I still have my vest that I made from a Frostline kit, my kids have both worn it at times. They really were well put together, the instructions were great.

Terraducky
08-28-2012, 12:15
I made several pairs of gaiters- still going strong!- , a full down coat and pants outfit, booties, vests, day pack or 2, and even a great dog pack! Those kits were excellent!

bfayer
09-25-2012, 14:35
I still have my booties, but I also made a down sweater and a vest. They actually had a shop just outside Detroit near where I grew up. Could go there and pick up kits on clearance.

I also put together kits from Holubar. Kits were the only way I could afford gear back then.

They were both good companies and I miss them :(

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

treesloth
09-25-2012, 15:36
Surprised no one has mentioned Ray Jardine yet. He sells all kinds of kits. http://www.rayjardine.com

Zipper
09-26-2012, 00:28
Oh wow, blast from the past! My mom made us all Frostline down jackets when I was a kid. When my arms got too long she turned the jacket into a vest. Loved them. Big pockets. Velcro. Removable hoods. Good times.

leaftye
09-26-2012, 09:12
I believe Frostline kits came with the fabrics pre-cut. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'd love to see new kits like that, very preferably with the seams cut with a hot knife so they don't fray as I sew the seams, and then pull the stitches and sew them again the right way.

bfayer
09-26-2012, 09:30
I believe Frostline kits came with the fabrics pre-cut. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'd love to see new kits like that, very preferably with the seams cut with a hot knife so they don't fray as I sew the seams, and then pull the stitches and sew them again the right way.

No, you are correct. Pre cut, index notches, all most ready to sew. You did need to sear the edges of the fabric so it would not fray, so I agree with your hot knife comment.

I can still hear my Mom yelling at me for getting down all over her sewing room :) that stuff does make a mess when it gets out of control.

Tinker
09-26-2012, 13:35
There are some links to patterns here : http://www.owfinc.com/hardware.html

skinewmexico
09-26-2012, 16:39
I still have some down mittens a girlfriend sewed for me. Awesome kit. Inside of thumb is cold, since I didn't understand what "work some down into the thumb" really meant. Here's a great link, to an amazing amount of history. Super cool if you're old......ish.

http://www.oregonphotos.com/Frostline1.html

jimmyjam
09-26-2012, 16:45
Also look at the kits by AYCE at : www.thru-hiker.com

4Bears
09-26-2012, 17:53
If you are interested in making a tent check this link to tarptent.com. http://tarptent.com/projects/tarpdesign.html

gnomster
04-17-2014, 09:41
Back in the early 70's I purchased 3 Frostline kits, a tent, a winter parka and a vest. Never having been in front of a sewing machine it was a learning experience to say the least but the final products came out excellent. The vest is now thread bare and leaks down from every inch and is headed to the trash although I would like to salvage the down. The parka I still use in deep cold and is well used but decent shape. The tent, well thats another story (got too close to a fire one night) and is no longer although it did weigh about 6 pounds or so and was too heavy to carry at least by todays standards. My question is this... I would like to try another kit (either precut or from pattern) and have been looking for a source. I have seen thruhiker.com but their selection is limited. Anyone have a good source where they have had success?

Regards

OK, so it's 3 years since you posted, but I thought I'd respond anyway. I have a Frostline Kodiak tent kit which is still in the box which I would like to sell/pass on to someone who wants to sew it. I sewed one, and still have it...great tent. Bought this as a replacement, but never wore the original one out.