PDA

View Full Version : hammock hanger s.o.s

Hairbear
08-23-2012, 13:54
help please before i pull my last hair out.im trying to get hammocks to be comfy for me and im struggling.started with the hennesy found no room for my right foot,i them bought a warbonnet 1.1 double and im finding it to be a dandy piece of art,but im having left leg issues just below the knee.am i just old and wore out or am i missing someting.any help you give would be loved.

Buffalo Skipper
08-23-2012, 14:05
Lower leg discomfort is not uncommon in a hammock. In fact, as comfortable as the WBBB is, the design can put pressure on the lower calf. One thing you may try is laying in a slightly different position. I often lay in the so-called "ballerina" position, with my leg knee pulled up and my left foot gently resting beside of on my right leg.

I naturally gravitated to this position before I ever read about it, and I have found this a very comfortable position when in my Blackbird. Sometimes I end up on my right or left side. Just depends. Keep at it. In spite of any occasions when I am in a less than perfectly comfortable position, I still find the hammock much better than even the best night I ever slept on the ground.

rhjanes
08-23-2012, 14:46
+1 on the ballerena. I also got a thermarest sit pad (inflates), under the calves helps.

1azarus
08-23-2012, 18:57
wow. i thought i was the only one who did that with my legs. and i have a fairly small gathered end hammock -- a nano.

HikerMom58
08-23-2012, 19:15
help please before i pull my last hair out.im trying to get hammocks to be comfy for me and im struggling.started with the hennesy found no room for my right foot,i them bought a warbonnet 1.1 double and im finding it to be a dandy piece of art,but im having left leg issues just below the knee.am i just old and wore out or am i missing someting.any help you give would be loved.

Aww.... Hairbear. This is the cutest looking thread I've ever seen... love the S.O.S. Haha!! I so wish I could give you some awesome advice about your hammock hanging but I've got nothing :( My hubby likes his Hennesy. I sure hope someone, on here, comes through for ya. In the meantime, hang (no pun intended:eek:) in there Hairbear. :) I'll be waitin on the hug you promised me:D when you hike to VA.

gunner76
08-23-2012, 20:07
Also try hanging your hammock with the foot end a few inches higher than the head end.

Buffalo Skipper
08-23-2012, 23:02
Also try hanging your hammock with the foot end a few inches higher than the head end.

Good tip. I forgot that one....

Rasty
08-23-2012, 23:33

Please excuse the drift. Hairbear won't mind that much! Did you get an opportunity to make the kiosk for the Nusiok trail? My daughter and I yo-yo'd it this March. She did her first twenty mile day.

Hairbear
08-24-2012, 05:54
cant say a thing about thread drift,smart alec remarks,over posting,larry david personality.it pains me to say it, but i didnt know how to start my own post,i know what a dumb guy.so now its payback time any thread drift welcome smarty pants remarks cherished.feel free to talk about male pride and not wanting to get directions lmao.

Hairbear
08-24-2012, 06:01
thanks for all the help so far im going to keep learning.has anyone ever converted a gathered end hammock into a bridge hammock just on the foot end i was looking at the survivor and maybe using it for experimental alteration along that line.

Hairbear
08-24-2012, 06:05
Aww.... Hairbear. This is the cutest looking thread I've ever seen... love the S.O.S. Haha!! I so wish I could give you some awesome advice about your hammock hanging but I've got nothing :( My hubby likes his Hennesy. I sure hope someone, on here, comes through for ya. In the meantime, hang (no pun intended:eek:) in there Hairbear. :) I'll be waitin on the hug you promised me:D when you hike to VA. with the hubbys permission only.........lol

Hairbear
08-24-2012, 22:04
thanks all who helped the combined effort has me in the oooooo yeah zone.i looked around to find a way to do the blow up sit pad suggestion and found a piece of my sons weight lifting mat,you know the kind if you drop the weight you dont hit the floor,it works great light stiff no more leg discomfort at all

Hairbear
08-24-2012, 22:06
ok thanks guys you do a good job.you may shut this down to make way for others........ thanks

gunner76
08-24-2012, 22:42
Did you get an opportunity to make the kiosk for the Nusiok trail?

PM sent. The kiosk locations and designs have been approved by the forest service and should be in place this fall.

HikerMom58
08-24-2012, 22:51
with the hubbys permission only.........lol

LOL... he won't care! :) He knows it's not everyday that one can get a hug from a- Hairbear.... I'm lucky! :)

thanks all who helped the combined effort has me in the oooooo yeah zone.i looked around to find a way to do the blow up sit pad suggestion and found a piece of my sons weight lifting mat,you know the kind if you drop the weight you dont hit the floor,it works great light stiff no more leg discomfort at all

Aww.... that's really great you figured that out..yipeeee!!! Now you're all set!!

T-Rx
08-25-2012, 08:32
Lower leg discomfort is not uncommon in a hammock. In fact, as comfortable as the WBBB is, the design can put pressure on the lower calf. One thing you may try is laying in a slightly different position. I often lay in the so-called "ballerina" position, with my leg knee pulled up and my left foot gently resting beside of on my right leg.

I naturally gravitated to this position before I ever read about it, and I have found this a very comfortable position when in my Blackbird. Sometimes I end up on my right or left side. Just depends. Keep at it. In spite of any occasions when I am in a less than perfectly comfortable position, I still find the hammock much better than even the best night I ever slept on the ground.

I never knew that position had a name so thanks for identifying it. I have also found this to be the most comfortable way for me to sleep in my WBBB. And now I get a laugh out of thinking about all 6'4" 210lbs of me laying in the "ballerina position".

Hairbear
08-25-2012, 09:02
I never knew that position had a name so thanks for identifying it. I have also found this to be the most comfortable way for me to sleep in my WBBB. And now I get a laugh out of thinking about all 6'4" 210lbs of me laying in the "ballerina position".kind of had me thinking that too lol,to be sleeping in deliverance country in the ballarena position has me a bit on edge.

Hairbear
08-25-2012, 09:03
kind of had me thinking that too lol,to be sleeping in deliverance country in the ballarena position has me a bit on edge.
great advice though it works.....................

T-Rx
08-25-2012, 09:13
kind of had me thinking that too lol,to be sleeping in deliverance country in the ballarena position has me a bit on edge.

Just don't smile Hairbear and they will never know you've got " a real purty mouth".

Hairbear
08-25-2012, 09:17
Just don't smile Hairbear and they will never know you've got " a real purty mouth".you would get the joe pescie in the drive through treatment.........lol

Buffalo Skipper
08-25-2012, 10:35
I don't remember exactly where I first heard it called "ballerina position," probably on the hammock forum. I don't sleep in a tu-tu, so I never had that visual. Regardless, it is a pretty apt description. I have found that even with a slight adjustment of the leg, the relief is effective and I still fit nicely under my TQ.

Wise Old Owl
08-25-2012, 10:51
In the HH I stretch the feet up in left corner and switch to the posisions you folks are talking about - don't forget clothing doubles as a pillow between the knees.

Hairbear
08-25-2012, 11:51
this wbbb is amazing i slept in it last night what a rest ,woke up with no back pain knees felt great.i bought it because of a video shug posted he was spot on with his recomendation.two thumbs up try one you will like it.

Hairbear
08-25-2012, 11:56
i would also like to add that it was probably my ankle plate on my right leg that made my hennessy uncomfortable to me, so no disrespect to hennessy they also make a fine product.

T-Rx
08-25-2012, 12:08
My wife uses a HH and loves it. I've tried a HH, Clark and the WBBB. The Clark and HH are great products but for me the WBBB was the clear winner. And an underquilt instead of a pad is awesome!

Hairbear
08-25-2012, 12:15
My wife uses a HH and loves it. I've tried a HH, Clark and the WBBB. The Clark and HH are great products but for me the WBBB was the clear winner. And an underquilt instead of a pad is awesome! that is my next piece,can you recomend a good u q.

Hairbear
08-25-2012, 12:16
that is my next piece,can you recomend a good u q. feel free for anyone to chime in on the uq

kayak karl
08-25-2012, 12:26
feel free for anyone to chime in on the uq
i have 4 JRB (http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop-jrb/) and one TE-WA (http://tewaunderquilts.webs.com/). all fine with my HH.

T-Rx
08-25-2012, 12:47
that is my next piece,can you recomend a good u q.

Like KK I also have JRB. The Old Rag Mtn. Model. I have been very happy with both the service and products from JRB. It sounds like KK has also had the same experience being the owner of 4 JRB quilts.

Hairbear
08-25-2012, 13:22
i have 4 JRB (http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop-jrb/) and one TE-WA (http://tewaunderquilts.webs.com/). all fine with my HH.do you think the nest would be a good fit and warmth that i need?

kayak karl
08-25-2012, 13:34
the JRB nest gets me to 30 degrees, but that's me. i sleep in boxers, socks and a T. never extra closes.

my JRB mt wash 4 has gotten me below 0 zero.

the te-wa is a Winter Coat (its name) 2/3 quilt and has only been down to 10 degrees , but should go lower.

T-Rx
08-25-2012, 13:52
the JRB nest gets me to 30 degrees, but that's me. i sleep in boxers, socks and a T. never extra closes.

my JRB mt wash 4 has gotten me below 0 zero.

the te-wa is a Winter Coat (its name) 2/3 quilt and has only been down to 10 degrees , but should go lower.

Been down to 20 degrees with my old rag mtn. and typically sleep in boxer briefs and t shirt. It has kept me toasty so far.

Deadeye
08-25-2012, 16:00
In addition to all the good tips so far (which apparently solved the problem) try hanging the hammock a little looser. No need to set it up guitar-string tight.

Hang loose.

Wise Old Owl
08-25-2012, 16:12
ok thanks guys you do a good job.you may shut this down to make way for others........ thanks

BUT WAIT THERRRRSS MORE! http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=I4679530762141748&pid=1.5

Hairbear
08-25-2012, 19:22
just got back to camp to find my down bag full of water in the foot end.i just had to leave it draped over the ridge line.cant complain though im so glad to see it rain it doesnt even bother me.man the midwest is dry.anyone interested in dehy.drated wild edibles

Hairbear
08-25-2012, 19:27
BUT WAIT THERRRRSS MORE! http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=I4679530762141748&pid=1.5 i envy your computer skills im one of those never learned to program a v c r kind of guy.im getting a little better all the time though,today not being able to run a computer is like not being able to read 20 years ago,kind of sucks to have let this much time pass without doing anything about it ,but hell i was always a book in the back pocket guy.