PDA

View Full Version : Anybody with allergies?

Jonas Winslo
08-23-2012, 15:32
For years now I have developed a headache following day hike hike. (not into backpacking much yet...am day hiking the AT right now - will prob never "finish" but that's not the point! :) ) I have thought these headaches were caused by dehydration and not eating enough so have been eating tons while I hike and making sure I drink lots and lots of water and gatorade. However I still get a headache after I hike. Well today I think I found the culprit - allergies. I have been fighting my 1st ever sinus infection which was still causing me pain after the infection was gone and I went to the dr and she told me to take Claritin and a Sudafed in the morning and that has helped...but after my hike today the pain returned and since it was so close to the sinus infection I remember exactly what that kind of headache feels like and this is it. It makes sense as when I was a kid I was told that I was allergic to everything outdoors and I disregarded that information because I didn't like it and I didn't get immediatly miserable like I did from horses and cats so I figured the dr was nuts. Also makes sense because I didn't get 1 headache after 5 days of hiking in Glacier NP in Montana - they don't have the same decidous trees there that we do here... So I'm wondering, does anyone else get allergy headaches after hiking? If so, what do you do about it?

Pedaling Fool
08-23-2012, 16:03
I get the typical pollen-type allergies every year, but never heard of "allergy headaches". Although headaches can be a symptom of my allergies, along with stuffiness, sneezing, watery/itchy eys, irritability and sensitivity to sunlight. I just deal with it and usually I'm over it in a week or two, don't take pills, but I've found that when I'm exercising enough to get in a good aerobic workout all my symptoms disappear, they comeback immediately after the exercise, but it's a little reprieve and it forces me to workout :) -- FWIW.

Cherokee Bill
08-23-2012, 16:56
Go to an allery Dr for testing! The tests will show what you are allergic to!

I did and there is a list of "things" I am alergic to, including 7-trees! Been on shots for two-years! Better, but not healed!!! Research has proven it can take 5 or more years to develop a resistance to those thing to which we are allergic!

YES! It is worth the trouble!!!

Hairbear
08-23-2012, 17:55
this time of year is when the rag weed starts to pollinate it gets me too.i get sinus infections, throat infections,feel real flu like.i take some low dose antibiotics and it help, but comes back from constant exposure.ive tried honey in the past it seemed to help some but not enough if i take a sudafed in the morning it helps keep my sinuses dry.gargle with salt water and try some sinex spray in the nose.times of worst problem i get a shot this will really clear up the breathing.good luck its a real cramp in the keestrer for and outdoors person.

Snowleopard
08-23-2012, 19:51
If you have sinus problems, consider using a nasal wash with a solution of salt and baking soda. The easiest way is to get a neilmed sinus rinse and use their saline packets:
http://www.neilmed.com/usa/sinusrinse.php or get a netti pot.
Staying very well hydrated helps.
Mucinex (or guaifenesin) might help; stay very well hydrated and it works better.

It's always possible that you have a sinus infection, then you need to see your doctor for antibiotics.
Getting tested for allergies can be useful.

mamamiapdx
10-11-2012, 22:36
My nose starts running as soon as I start getting warmed up, can't help and I snot rocket the entire trail...

jimmyjam
10-12-2012, 13:40
i'm allergic to a few tree pollens. I can get nasty sinus infections which are worse that the flu. I went to an allergist and found out exactly which pollens I'm allgeric to. So now I know when these pollens are produced and I start taking a nasal steriod ( and alegra or claritin)about 2 weeks before the stuff starts flying. Then I check the allergy web site for when the pollen count drops and stop the meds. You can also go thru a series of shots to get your body so it will not over react but it is 3 years of shots and they ain't cheap even with co-pays- I know I did it for yellow jackets but that was literally a life and death allergy for me.

TheYoungOne
10-12-2012, 15:04
Clartin is the only allergy med that does not make me drowsy. When I hike , I take a Clartin in the morning and a Zyrtec before I go to bed. If its real bad I'll get the Clartin with the Sudafed, but I get the 12hour because I'm a light sleeper and Sudafed 24hr will keep me up all night.

teachergal
10-14-2012, 19:30
I have had the exact same experience. In fact as I was reading this post I had to keep checking the author to see if maybe I'd posted it and forgotten about it! Just like you I'd get a horrible headache after hiking and I too suspected not eating enough and dehydration. I started drinking so much I was peeing every 1/2 mile and ate constantly, still got a headache. I also noticed that I didn't get a headache after hiking in Glacier or the Tetons so I suspect it has to do with the trees here - my guess it's the mold from the leaves that accumulate on the forest floor. I usually hike more in winter and there's no pollen then. I have horrible allergies and I asked my allergist about the hiking headaches and she was baffled - she didn't think it was allergy related, but I'm pretty sure it is. On that note, I have not gotten a hiking headache in a long time - and I've been doing longer, more difficult hikes. I suspect 1 of two things, either I've gained better control of my allergies and my body isn't overrun with allergies or it's because I've gotten in better shape and am not pushing my body beyond it's limits. Good luck solving the issue! You aren't alone!

Carver4
12-18-2012, 11:13
Hello Friends last night i search from the internet about allergy and i found a statement which is that an allergy is an defense response or reaction to substances that are usually not harmful.Person that are with allergic reactions, the immune response is oversensitive. When it identifies an allergen. Substances such as histamines are launched. These chemicals cause allergic reactions.Thanks a lot!!

snowblind
12-21-2012, 13:10
Jonas,

Only time on trail I got headaches due to allergies, was when my eustachian tubes clogged up. As someone with fairly severe allergies, and a lifelong asthmatic, I'd take a nasal decongestant and go about my way, 'putting up' with the discomfort.

That being said, I'd definately go see an allergist and get tested. As you stated, you went to GNP, and were fine, no headaches. It's entierly possible you'll be fine hiking west of the Mississippi, but something in the east is going to continuously mess with you, regardless of season.

bear bag hanger
12-22-2012, 10:15
I have a ton of pollen type allergies, but am fortunate I've not had the headaches you describe. I take loratadine, which is the generic name for something else, but not sure what. One a day seems to work for me most of the time. I think the shots allergy doctors like so much is pretty much a waste of time - I took them for five years back when I was a teenager and didn't feel any better after the five years than before. I think the only reason they work for some people is because they think it will, not because they actually do anything. I've never seen a double blind test for allergy shots that showed they work. Getting tested might be useful if for no other reason than to point out what you are most allergic to and maybe show a way to avoid the worse offenders. But be careful, unless you have insurance to pay for it, they can be incredibly expensive - well over a $1,000 the first time they do it. Other than that, I feel you just have to put up with the allergies.

maybe clem
12-26-2012, 18:26
Go to an allery Dr for testing! The tests will show what you are allergic to!

I did and there is a list of "things" I am alergic to, including 7-trees! Been on shots for two-years! Better, but not healed!!! Research has proven it can take 5 or more years to develop a resistance to those thing to which we are allergic!

YES! It is worth the trouble!!!

I second this. Get tested, try the shots. My immunologist says approximately 80% of people who get the shots see an 80% improvement. I still react to some things but not as strongly and other allergies, like to dogs, completely resolved. Cured. I am not allergic to dogs anymore. I love dogs and I couldn't even get into someone's car if they had a dog, I was that sensitive.

quilteresq
12-26-2012, 18:34
Just went for my third round of allergy testing today - was planning on only using benadryl on the trail, but my allergies pretty much blew up at Thanksgiving. . . . so I'll be dragging vials and needles on the trail - if the doctor agrees. Did NOT want that extra weight.

bushcraft
01-01-2013, 12:12
When hiking in late spring, early summer I get almost two months of allergy hell. I still trek the trails but go through a box of tissues even with allergy medicine. I may be investing in allergy shots this year. We shall see how it goes.

Worst part is after the hike when your eyes are sore and icky.

TurboPants
01-16-2013, 11:23
I intend to do a thru hike at some point, hopefully 2014. And the allergy topic is one I had not thought of yet. I've had nasal allergies pretty bad since I was about 7. All mold, ragweed, pollen and trees hit me pretty hard in April through August, right when you'd be doing a thru hike heh.

Tell ya what, if you do find out you have allergies it's not the end of the world. I personally hate all conventional medicine BUT I still get a kenalog shot in the late spring if we have a warmer winter, because it makes pollen worse in the spring. There can be side effects from kenealog shots but it's worth breathing in my book. One thing I've been working on is curving my allergies naturally by eating locally collected honey. The pollen in the honey and propolus gives you a priobiotic dose of the allergens and can reduce your symptoms when that season starts. Also, apple cider vinegar is a godsend for nasal congestion. I put a spoon full of this nasty crap in a 1/2 cup of water or OJ once a day, you can add honey to the water as well for taste. ACV has all kinds of benefits beyond allergies. If you want to read more about natural ways to help allergies check out earth clinic: http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/allergies.html

Also worth a mention is colloidal silver. I put this water solution in a nose spray bottle and give myself a couple squirts every night before bed. It's an anti fungal solution and helps open my nostrils a bit and keep them cleared out of any nasties. It's worked pretty well the last year, had a cold and wiped it out in a day or so. Which is RARE for me, usually I get hit pretty hard but I'm building my immune system with probiotics.

Allergies aren't the end of the world if you take proactive measures to help them. Your diet has a HUGE role in how your sinuses act as well. If you eat too much sugar and starch you will have nasal problems (see Candida). Good luck and hopefully this doesn't stop you from getting on in the woods!

StylinLP38
01-16-2013, 17:14
Yes, allergy headaches are a real thing. Man, if I dont take a Claridin and or Sudafed in time I would end up in the hospital. Its that bad. Feel like dying. Like a tooth needing root canal. But burried deep in my forehead. On top of all that, it takes a min of 6 to 12 hours for the pills to clear it all up. Drain all that stuff clogged up in your head. I learned along time ago that if I get any signs of tired or stuffed up feeling. Take a Sudafed. Or suffer horribly.

Before I realized all this I used to end up in the ER. got cat scans and MRI's. No blockages found. Which can happen. That has to be surgically removed. The Dr said welcome to Arizona. Its a way of life here.