PDA

View Full Version : Gram Crazy

Tharwood
08-24-2012, 06:51
In starting back backpacking this year , I revamped almost all of my gear. Some I had purchased years ago and it needed to be replaced. Some , was just TOO HEAVY. After reading tons of forums on the topic. I finally bought a set of digital postal scales. It and a calculator will drive a man crazy. Since that purchase I have weighed evertying I carry, have total weight's for everthing 5 different ways from Sunday. Nalgine empty vs Power Aid bottle empty, and both with water. Alco. stove and fuel vs pocket rocket w/ canister. etc etc etc.. I am happy to say however that I cut base weight a ton.. Orig. 36lbs without food or water.....Now with pack included....14lbs... but where does the weighing ever stop? I am constantly trying to shave more weight.... Im not thur-hiking, but I still dont want to carry weight I dont need to..I think now that I have a very good starting weight I can add a couple of comfort items back... Like that coffee press...lol..Is anyone else obsessed to this extreme?

1azarus
08-24-2012, 07:21
Hmmmm. I'd guess about 10 percent of fairly serious hikers have descended to the gram weenie stage -- and most are convinced it is the only rational way to behave. I sure hope it is, since I'm on the 10 percent list... I suggest you just enjoy the sub-hobby of gram counting. Gives you something to do when you aren't hiking.

fredmugs
08-24-2012, 07:23
Welcome to the dark side! I like carrying a bigger pack and a warmer tent so I will never get down to a true ultra light level. Now you need to turn your lightness into bigger days on the trail.

Pedaling Fool
08-24-2012, 08:24
... but where does the weighing ever stop? http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?86984-The-end&highlight=

Tharwood
08-24-2012, 08:32
lol.. I guess we all suffer from a little OCD......1.2.3.4.5 1..2.3.4.5 1.2.3.4.5 lol

10-K
08-24-2012, 09:26
I have almost completely stopped weighing stuff and now just make sure that I'm packing the lightest (as much as possible) option for what I'm carrying.

I mean, I'm going to take what I'm going to take so really just being smart about what to pack and packing the lightest whatever it is takes care of pack weight.

Buffalo Skipper
08-24-2012, 09:43
Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a winner!

Yes, it does seem like it never stops, but I can tell you that you will come to a point where you are comfortable and happy. I think I am at that place now. Sure there are a few items (mainly hammock related) where I can save a few ounces here or there, but the fever to go ligher, lighter, lighter appears to have broken.

If you are tracking your weight, look at my (borrowed from another backpacker and customized) excel spread sheet. I posted it yesterday. If you like it, PM me for a few basic hints on how to maintain it. It is attached here:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?87405-Gear-List-Critique

atraildreamer
08-24-2012, 10:47
... but where does the weighing ever stop?

You'll find out...soon enough! :banana

Zippy Morocco
08-24-2012, 11:46
I agree that the fever eventually breaks as the ounces turn to grams. If you are thinking about adding back a press you must be close. I always am on the lookout for something lighter but I don't expect to see huge drops again until I make the switch from Tarptent to Tarp. It's coming. As a hobby I like it.

Another good way to document your weight is geargrams.com. It breaks everything down into nice categories and let's you virtually pack your bag from your total list.

Also, if you haven't joined yet, BackpackingLight.com is full of people such as yourself.

Enjoy!

Berserker
08-24-2012, 12:14
I never really got down to the light weight or ultralight weight level, but I worked my way close to it. The process involved several trips over a few years, lots of gear purchases, and trial and error. For me it stopped when I got to a point where my comfort level was compromised and I wasn't having fun anymore. That's when I settled on a bit more weight and my current gear list. Now I just have everything in a box, and when a hike comes up all I have to do is pick one of two packs based on expected bulk, put everything in the box in the pack, and pack the appropriate amount of clothing based on expected temperatures.

10-K
08-24-2012, 12:28
Here's a good place to start: http://andrewskurka.com/how-to/seven-steps-to-lighten-up/

There is nothing in the above article that isn't beat to death here regularly but having all the info on one page is pretty helpful.

WingedMonkey
08-24-2012, 13:06
Maybe you should hike more before you makes so many decisions. Then you will know what works for YOU.

;)

QiWiz
08-24-2012, 14:42
Sometimes when I carry less I go too far and suffer the consequences.
Suffering builds character.
The less I carry, the more of a character I become!

Lightweight logic 101

Old Hiker
08-24-2012, 15:04
I'm not down to grams yet, but I've cut over 6 pounds off my big 4. Sad to say ( or good to say) that's almost 10% of my average weight for the 2012 attempt (45-53 pounds usually - oooofffff!). I'm always looking at what I've BEEN carrying and looking for changes. I'm returning the titanium tent stakes and going back to my aluminum because the Ti were not long enough to suit me. I'm shedding gear I carried and never used. I'm controlling my fears and cutting back on food. I was always worried about running out.

I have until 2016 to REALLY look at stuff, plus I get a paycheck that my wife gives me an allowance from, so I can actually buy new gear if needed !!

FarmerChef
08-24-2012, 15:11
Food is such a love/hate relationship - love the food, hate the weight. Nothing kills me more in my gram weenieness than coming home with uneaten food. I've learned that we just won't have enough energy to eat dessert (I know, I know) on a long day. But at over a pound a piece, we learned that the hard way a few times. Sigh.

Now if they could just make that amino acid slurry from The Matrix in a dehydrated powder form...:eek:

Buffalo Skipper
08-24-2012, 15:12
lol.. I guess we all suffer from a little OCD......1.2.3.4.5 1..2.3.4.5 1.2.3.4.5 lol

It is not OCD. It is CDO.

One must alphabetize the letters. :D

Rasty
08-24-2012, 18:30
It is not OCD. It is CDO.

One must alphabetize the letters. :D

I have this thing I have to do. If I'm cutting 20 red bell peppers and 20 green bell pepper and going to mix them up I still must cut all the green then the red. If it's zucchini and yellow squash I have to do the same. I also like to count them again after I counted them the first time.

HikerMom58
08-24-2012, 18:47
I have this thing I have to do. If I'm cutting 20 red bell peppers and 20 green bell pepper and going to mix them up I still must cut all the green then the red. If it's zucchini and yellow squash I have to do the same. I also like to count them again after I counted them the first time.

Haha!! BeeeeWhoooooop!!!

atraildreamer
08-25-2012, 11:59

Rasty just revealed his secret identity. :eek: See his picture below! :D :banana