PDA

View Full Version : Any Story Spring or Peru Shelter info?

Flintstone
08-24-2012, 11:42
For my first Section-hike of the AT, I chose the Green Mountains. I see plenty of info about Goddard and Stratton, but what about Story Spring and Peru Shelters?

I'm jumping off-trail in Manchester Center for supplies/shower, then on to Peru Shelter and beyond.

Jeff
08-24-2012, 13:02
These are both older shelters, although Peru Peak Shelter got a makeover last year. Both are perfectly acceptable places to stay overnight.

Monkeywrench
08-24-2012, 13:11
The amount of use Story Spring gets seems to have risen dramatically over the years. When I started going on maintenance trips with the Connecticut GMS some 20-odd years ago, the cleared area around the shelter was quite small; just enough for a couple of tents. Since then the heavily impacted area around the shelter seems to spread out farther and farther every year.

I guess it makes sense. Weekenders would be going Rt 9 to Goddard then Goddard to Story Spring, and thru-hikers would be going Rt 9 to Story Spring.

In any case, the shelter is old but in good condition. The spring is excellent; probably the only water source where I don't bother treating my water.

10-K
08-24-2012, 14:03
Peru Peak looked pretty nice but it also looked like it could get crowded.

Deacon
08-24-2012, 16:25
I was at both shelters this week and found both very acceptable. Both has good water, of course all of Vermont's water seems good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flintstone
08-24-2012, 16:29
I was at both shelters this week and found both very acceptable. Both has good water, of course all of Vermont's water seems good.

I have had many people, more familiar with the AT than I, tell me that I have selected a great section for water access. Fresh, clean, and plentiful. I'll be glad for that.

tdoczi
08-24-2012, 17:50
I have had many people, more familiar with the AT than I, tell me that I have selected a great section for water access. Fresh, clean, and plentiful. I'll be glad for that.

thats mostly true but there was one shelter south of glastenbury i passed last summer that had perhaps the worst water ive ever found on the trail by a shelter.

mrcoffeect
08-24-2012, 19:39
thats mostly true but there was one shelter south of glastenbury i passed last summer that had perhaps the worst water ive ever found on the trail by a shelter.

i believe that it is melville nauheim shelter

Papa D
08-24-2012, 20:32
I don't remember story spring but Peru Peak has a creek that runs right in front of the shelter and a couple of tent platforms. We went skinny dipping at Griffith Lake which is just about .2 from the shelter.

kolokolo
08-24-2012, 20:47
I stayed at Peru Peak shelter about a week ago. It was in good condition, and water was no problem. It was kind of cool, too, because Nikki Kimball hiked through at about 2:00AM (i think) on her attempt at the women's Long Trail speed record. About 10 seconds of cheers and excitement, then back to sleep.

Deacon
08-25-2012, 20:20
i believe that it is melville nauheim shelter

I watered up there last week and found the water as good, clear, cold as the others.