PDA

View Full Version : Bears Is Smart

Fiddleback
08-24-2012, 13:21
Here's a great story about bears' intelligence. While specific to black bears I have no doubt that our larger-brain grizzlys out here would score as high or higher on their ACTs.

"American black bears that take computerized tests by pawing, nose-bumping or licking a touch screen may rival great apes when it comes to learning concepts." http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/343235/title/Average_bear_could_be_pretty_smart

For many backpackers this probably isn't news. And, of course, there is always this; "Bears Discover Fire" http://www.drabblecast.org/2012/01/26/drabblecast-230-bears-discover-fire/ ;)

FB

fredmugs
08-24-2012, 14:08
So basically what you're saying is the black bears are probably the dumbest. Nice.

Driver8
08-24-2012, 16:44
So basically what you're saying is the black bears are probably the dumbest. Nice.

Just trying to keep the black bear down. ...

Feral Bill
08-24-2012, 17:02
So, polar bears are the smartest?

Marta
08-24-2012, 19:58

My aunt always sends me newspaper clippings about the AT. Recently there was an article about some kids from Greenland who were hiking in Maine. They were delighted to see black bears. One of the kids remarked that it was great to see bears who wouldn't "hunt you down." Yep, big difference between animals which feed on berries and moths, and animals who hunt creatures who outweigh humans.

Rasty
08-24-2012, 20:18
I read a National Geographic a long time ago about the first man to ski solo to the north pole. A polar bear was following him for four or five days. It was always a few hundred yard behind him until it finally made it's move and he shot in the air to scare it off. Much prefer Black bears.

MuddyWaters
08-24-2012, 20:33

Nope, pandas

Datto
08-24-2012, 21:09
On my AT thru-hike, one of the New Jersey bears tried to read my book when I was sitting off the front edge of a shelter one morning.

Heck, I didn't even know the New Jersey bears could read.

I was going to see if I could teach the bear to high-five me but I was too busy running. So was the bear.

Datto

Sarcasm the elf
08-24-2012, 21:14
Here's a great story about bears' intelligence. While specific to black bears I have no doubt that our larger-brain grizzlys out here would score as high or higher on their ACTs.

Wait, what do you mean out here? First is was Pennsylvania, then Southeast Asia, now Montana? I'm jealous!