PDA

View Full Version : Patching a Neoair?

rwaeger
08-24-2012, 13:39
Just looking for opinions on how well this will hold up. I plan on thru hiking next year and purchased a neoair (the yellow one) when they were on sale this past winter. I used the thing maybe 5 times and there's already a small leak. If I patch it can I expect it to hold up on a thru hike or should I just start looking at purchasing another pad?

10-K
08-24-2012, 14:01
I'd definitely purchase another pad before I'd launch off on a thru with a patched Neoair.

I just went through this with my Neoair.. My original got a slow leak after 2 years of use and even though I patched it and it looks OK I bought a new one for my Long Trail hike because I didn't want to risk it.

If I were just going on an overnighter or couple of night trip I'd have took the patched one. But no way on a multi-week hike.

RodentWhisperer
08-26-2012, 10:13
Ditto. It's not worth the risk.

BrianLe
08-26-2012, 12:28
My first reaction was to agree with previous responses; I thru-hiked the AT with a neo air and when I got my first leak (note: after that trip was over) I patched it but figured it would be likely to now follow the cockroach theory (once the first one shows up, there will likely follow more). Dunno if that's true or not, but I'll stick to trips a most 2 to 3 weeks long with this now.
I ended up using two neo airs on the CDT, as I started with a "quite used" one there and did the same thing, bought a new one in Denver when I got a significant leak.

But on re-reading, note that the OP said that s/he has only used it 5 times! In that context, I'd assume the leak was from a specific puncture, or possibly some sort of manufacturing flow, but not wear. So fix the puncture (well) assuming the puncture is in a place that lends itself to repair. Then lay (optionally sleep) on it for a few hours sometime and see if it's holding up, or at least if there is a slow leak perhaps it's slow enough that you can tolerate. If so, then I'd see no reason to assume that any of the other surface area is anything other than virtually new.

Do, of course, bring a patch kit on your thru-hike. Do also have a close look at what's in the patch kit and leave perhaps half of it at home, at least if it's anything like the material overkill that my patch kit was.

FWIW, of multiple neo air failures now it's always been of the "slow leak" type for me, no catastrophic failure. I can always inflate and sleep on it. Worst case I've had to re-inflate once or twice during the night, and occasionally wake up due to shoulders and butt having sunk down to the hard ground.

HeartFire
08-26-2012, 14:33
I have used aquaseal to patch a small hole on my neoair - works very well. Aquaseal takes almost 24 hrs to fully dry, but I think it's easier to use than the patch kit that you can get.

tridavis
08-26-2012, 14:57
I carry a small tube of locktite super gel super glue, and use the included patches that came with the particular item, and glue it on. I have never ever had a problem with the patches coming off, and the glue seems to be fine on everything from the Big Agnes Pads to the Neo X Lite Pads as well. In over 6 years of doing this the patches are still on the first items that I used this method on.

Bucho
08-26-2012, 16:38
Just looking for opinions on how well this will hold up. I plan on thru hiking next year and purchased a neoair (the yellow one) when they were on sale this past winter. I used the thing maybe 5 times and there's already a small leak. If I patch it can I expect it to hold up on a thru hike or should I just start looking at purchasing another pad?

Did you manage to punch/wear a hole in it or did it come apart at a seam (maybe near the valve)? I ask because if it's the latter it has a lifetime warranty on it. Also on your thru hike if you get to Damascus Virginia during trail days there are people from thermarest who are incredibly helpfull about repairing or replacing your thermarest regardless of whether or not the issue is your fault.

rwaeger
08-27-2012, 11:03
Thanks for the input everyone! I did manage to find the leak this weekend. There is a small puncture on top of the pad possibly from me laying on laying on something or having something in my pocket while sleeping. I guess I'll patch it up and test it up until next spring to see how it holds up. I'd hate to purchase another pad so soon but if I do, does anyone one have opinions on the Ridgerest solite?

Deacon
08-27-2012, 18:53
Thanks for the input everyone! I did manage to find the leak this weekend. There is a small puncture on top of the pad possibly from me laying on laying on something or having something in my pocket while sleeping. I guess I'll patch it up and test it up until next spring to see how it holds up. I'd hate to purchase another pad so soon but if I do, does anyone one have opinions on the Ridgerest solite?

I looked at the Ridgerest today. I think the Z Rest, is more convenient because it folds instead of rolls, and is slightly thicker at 3/4", and 14 oz for the regular length.
The Ridgerest is same weight but only 5/8" thick. Yeah these pack bigger but are bombproof, especially if you want to throw it on a shelter floor for a quick nap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Captain Blue
08-27-2012, 19:58
I patched a NeoAir with a leak and so far it has held up for over 400 mile of hiking including my recent Long Trail hike. Use the Type A patch that comes with it. If you don't have one contact the company. They will send you patches for free.

I contacted Cascades Designs, the maker of the NeoAir, and they said the Type A patch is considered a permanent patch. The patch looks rather flimsy but it works.

This is my second NeoAir. The first one had a small leak and deflated during the night. I contacted the company and they sent me a new one at no charge.

Me: Would you send me two Tear-Aid Type A repair patches? My NeoAir (original) got a tear and I used my patch to fix it. I no longer have any repair patches. Does the Type A patch make a permanent fix? That is ... can I rely on this patch to seal the hole on a permanent basis?

Cascade Designs: I’m dropping a patch kit in the mail to you today with the Type-A patches. This will give you a permanent fix. Just an FYI, urethane based glues available on the market (such as SeamGrip by McNett outdoor products) are safe to use with your NeoAir. You don’t need to cover the SeamGrip itself and it will do a solid, long-lasting repair.

Bucho
08-27-2012, 21:55
I looked at the Ridgerest today. I think the Z Rest, is more convenient because it folds instead of rolls, and is slightly thicker at 3/4", and 14 oz for the regular length.
The Ridgerest is same weight but only 5/8" thick.

Having worn out one of each my preference is the Z Rest. That said it's going to be a big change in comfort going from a neoair to a foam pad. If you're looking for a cheaper replacement pad you could do what I did, get an xs prolite $59.95 http://www.rei.com/product/829820/therm-a-rest-prolite-sleeping-pad

or another common option is the Big Agnes clearview air pad $49.95 https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Pad/ClearviewAirPad

rwaeger
08-28-2012, 09:55
Capt Blue- Thanks! I just emailed Cascades customer service to see if they will ship me the patches.
Bucho & Deacon-Thanks! I sort of overlooked the fact that the Z-Rest is the one that folds. I have just begun my research on other alternates.