PDA

View Full Version : Reccomend a one night out and back in the NOC area

High Side
08-25-2012, 00:12
I will be going to the NOC area with a group to mountain bike (Tsali to be exact) in early October. I want to go up a day early by myself and do an over nighter. I hiked NOBO from the NOC last year, just like a 6 hour out and back and it was nice. Steep yes but nice. Was curious for other suggestions. Really anywhere within a one hour drive from the NOC with secure parking would work.

Thanks

HooKooDooKu
08-25-2012, 02:12
The only trails I'm familer with around Tsali is the Great Smoky Moutains. The only 'good' single over-night hike that comes to mind is to drive down to Fontana dam and Hike up the AT to Shuckstack fire tower. From the tower, you should get some great views in October. From the tower, you can hike down Lost Cove trail. Along the trail is camp site #91, and at the bottom is camp site #90. The 2nd day, you can complete the loop by following Lake Shore Trail back to the dam.

The only other thing that comes to mind (though it is a bit farther) is to drive to New Found gap and hike the AT to the Boulivard Trail. Then take the Boulivard to the top of Mt. Leconte and spend the night in the shelter up there.

Bare Bear
08-25-2012, 03:55
Try NOC to Stecoah Gap, get picked up by Jeff/Nancy from The Hike Inn. Stay with them or get the ride back to NOC.

Bare Bear
08-25-2012, 03:57
phone for inn is 828 479-3677

Try NOC to Stecoah Gap, get picked up by Jeff/Nancy from The Hike Inn. Stay with them or get the ride back to NOC.

Duramax22
08-25-2012, 04:01
+1 for mt leconte. If your going via the at swing out to Charlies bunion also

T-Rx
08-25-2012, 07:47
Another +1 for Mt. Leconte. I have been there many times to both the lodge and the shelter and have always had a fun time. Some great views along the way and the sunset from cliff tops is awesome.

yellowsirocco
08-25-2012, 08:05
Well a mile from the NOC is the Wesser Creek trail to Wesser Bald is nice. You can make a loop of it with the AT if you don't mind the mile road walk with traffic or can get a ride. The Wesser Creek trail is much nicer than the AT.

Whack-a-mole
08-25-2012, 08:37
You could also hike SOBO from NOC and go up to the jump off for some great views. If you drive around to Bryson City, there are a couple nice trails that go north from there, the Noland Creek trail and the Noland Divide trail. Very pretty woods with big creeks.

High Side
08-26-2012, 10:17
Thanks for the ideas, I would really prefer to stay on the AT though

daddytwosticks
08-26-2012, 12:35
Get a shuttle to Wayah Bald and hike back to the NOC. Hardest decision at end of hike? Eat first or shower? Or do like I did once..get there right when breakfast is finishing up and chow down. Then shower and return for the lunch menu! :)

Waterbuffalo
08-26-2012, 15:09
I second Park at NOC get a shuttle from Jeff and Nancy at the hike inn to Stecoah gap Camp on Cheoah bald (great views) then hike back down into NOC

High Side
09-04-2012, 22:46
I am having a hard time finding a map of the area online...I have searched for "north carolina AT map" and I cannot find what I need.

Chaco Taco
09-04-2012, 22:47
The only trails I'm familer with around Tsali is the Great Smoky Moutains. The only 'good' single over-night hike that comes to mind is to drive down to Fontana dam and Hike up the AT to Shuckstack fire tower. From the tower, you should get some great views in October. From the tower, you can hike down Lost Cove trail. Along the trail is camp site #91, and at the bottom is camp site #90. The 2nd day, you can complete the loop by following Lake Shore Trail back to the dam.

The only other thing that comes to mind (though it is a bit farther) is to drive to New Found gap and hike the AT to the Boulivard Trail. Then take the Boulivard to the top of Mt. Leconte and spend the night in the shelter up there.
Id avoid that shelter on Leconte if I was you

Train Wreck
09-05-2012, 01:18
Just remember if you overnight within the Smoky Mt. National Park, you'll have to get a permit first, which has to be picked up in person from one of the backcountry/ranger/visitor centers. If you're staying at a shelter or certain designated campsites, you'll need to make a reservation, which you can do online.

Since you've already hiked north of the NOC, I agree with daddytwosticks, why not hike north to the NOC? Get a shuttle up to Wayah Bald and hike back down to NOC. You'll get to pass 2 great firetowers with 360 degree views, and warm up your legs for that bike ride with a major workout for your knees and thighs coming down that last mountain to NOC. But if you were able to do that hump up Cheoah Bald and back last time, that shouldn't be an issue :)

High Side
09-05-2012, 18:25
The suggestion about getting a ride to Wayah then hiking back to the NOC wont work...I am in Alabama and have a 3 hour drive to the area, plus I lose an hour, so realistically I could not get on the trail before about 10 local time, and it gets dark at like 5 local time. Then I have to be at Tsali at noon the next day. I just cannot get the mileage in.

Realistically, it looks like my two best options are NOC to Sassafrass shelter and back, or NOC to Wesser Bald shelter and back

Between those two, which would be better? Yes I know there are steep climbs involved here, I am fine with that

Train Wreck
09-05-2012, 18:52
Realistically, it looks like my two best options are NOC to Sassafrass shelter and back, or NOC to Wesser Bald shelter and back

Between those two, which would be better? Yes I know there are steep climbs involved here, I am fine with that

You've already seen some of the trail north of NOC, why not take a look at the other side? Wesser firetower has awesome views.

High Side
09-05-2012, 18:56
What about Fontana to Cable Gap Shelter and back?

Basically Im looking for 5-6 miles each day.

yellowsirocco
09-05-2012, 20:05
What about Fontana to Cable Gap Shelter and back?

Basically Im looking for 5-6 miles each day.

I'd go with Wesser over Cable Gap. I like Cable Gap, personally I think it is nice and relaxing, but the view from the Wesser firetower is amazing.

hikingshoes
09-05-2012, 20:37
We hiked from NOC just passed grassy top and camp.We had to turn back due to my gf knees but it was a nice spot,if you camp there turn around go about 35-40 yds (right before you going back down the mnt)look to the right there is a nice tree to hang your food bag.

Josh Calhoun
09-06-2012, 09:52
if i am doing a day hike you can start at NOC and go SOBO to the Fire Tower and get a good view. then head back down the trail about a mile or 2 to the shelter. or like what wackamole said. the noland trails are great. follows a nice native trout stream a good ways. its on the same rd as the "Rd to Nowhere".

daddytwosticks makes a great point. NOC = shower/food/beer. life is full of tough decisions!

Aquonehostel
09-06-2012, 13:47
You can park free at Aquone Hostel and we will get you to several trail heads AT or Bartram, we do slack-packing and shuttles in the local area, Aquone Hostel Nantahala Lake area 828 321 2340 www.aquonecabins.com/at.html

High Side
09-08-2012, 09:35
Thanks everyone for the advices