PDA

View Full Version : Hiking with the chaps!

bwburgin1015
08-25-2012, 07:41
So I'm introducing my 3 year old and 4 year old to Backpacking today! We're going to a State Park here in NC. We're only hiking in 1.2 miles to the campsite, camping 1 night, then hiking out. But I am Pumped! Anybody out there hike with young children/toddlers?

moytoy
08-25-2012, 08:11
I have 7 children and 14 grandchildren. I have hiked with all of them at different stages of their lives. All kids are different. The three year old may refuse to walk more than a couple of hundred yards so be prepared to put him her on your shoulders. I have two 6 year old grandaughters that do a 5 miles loop with me easily but 5 year old grandson is like a tornado and will not stay on the trail. I have to watch him like a hawk because he tries to turn over every log he can find. Like I said all kids are different. The kids will like the camping part better than the hiking but give them a certain area to play in and don't allow them to roam away from that area. I'm sure you know how to monitor your kids better than I but I always feel compelled to caution people with kids in the woods. They will have a blast and so will you.

Whack-a-mole
08-25-2012, 08:27
When my son was younger we took him on some short trips and he had a great time. We went to Uhwarrie a lot. In warm weather there are lots of creeks for the kids to play in. Great waterfalls at South Mtn state park above Shelby, and Stone Mtn near Elkin is awesome. I would always put a couple little toys in my pack for him to play with. It was also good that he had a couple friends with supportive parents, so usually a friend went along, which makes it a lot more fun for them. One of the best times we ever had was flying kites up on Grassy Ridge. You are at 6000ft, on a bald with a 360 degree view, and the wind blows all the time. I also have a Kelty youth external frame pack I will let go for a very reasonable price. It is still to big for them right now, but would be good in the future.

bwburgin1015
08-27-2012, 09:34
Well it was a success with a lot of drama. We went to South Mountain and camped at the Shinny Creek Group Camping area. The 1.2 mile walk in was good. The kids lagged along at a slow pace but did pretty well, especially considering they were carrying their own sleeping bags (they have straps on the bag). Walking into camp though the drama started. My brother in law missed stepping on a Timber Rattler in the middle of camp by 6"...I took care of that. Then my 3 year old fell in the creek and cut his head in the back. Probably could have used a stitch but we were not really in a position to get out before dark. It is healing nicely. All in all it was a great one nighter! Whack a Mole those are great places. I've hiked Stone Mountain probably about 50 times in my life, no exxageration. I chose South Mountain because that 1.2 miles back to Shinny Creek was a nice starter distance for toddlers and not TOO steep. The walk out was easier than the walk in!

Feral Bill
08-27-2012, 12:59
I started my kids at a young age. Both are grown and still hiking.