PDA

View Full Version : Breaking News Neal Armstrong, RIP

horicon
08-25-2012, 17:20
RIP Neil Armstrong. Who else remembers watching the moon landing from a TV set?

Odd Man Out
08-25-2012, 17:23
I do - It was amazing

hikerboy57
08-25-2012, 17:34
i remember i joined this "man in space program during the gemini flights, and had all kind of reading materials,star maps, a map of the moon, replicas of the LEM, Apollo capsule, etc, (as well as having full size replicas at the Worlds Fair. I remember the moment he uttered those famous words as he came down the ladder. all in black in white.

hikerboy57
08-25-2012, 17:35
it was the reason i drank tang.

HikerMom58
08-25-2012, 17:42
it was the reason i drank tang.

Haha!! I remember that as well...

I was going to post this a couple of hours ago when it came news feed on my home page. (FB) but I was afraid someone would say -what does that have to do with hiking the AT..... glad you posted it- Old Eagle.

RIP Neal Armstrong........

WingedMonkey
08-25-2012, 17:44
What does this have to do with the AT?

hikerboy57
08-25-2012, 17:52
except for a few days a month, the moon is clearly visible from most portions of the AT

hikerboy57
and tang is an excellent drink supplement.

hikerboy57
remember space food sticks?

WingedMonkey
08-25-2012, 17:54
And I can hear the cackle of those that sound like Phyllis Diller around most campfires.

HikerMom58
08-25-2012, 18:12

I don't remember the space food sticks...

HikerMom58
08-25-2012, 18:16

See, a comment like that would have bothered me if I was the OP. WOO is right when he said I must not be a good fit for this site then... what do you think? Be careful with your answer WingedMonkey....;)

garlic08
08-25-2012, 18:18
I remember it well. I saved the newspaper headline for many years until it turned yellow and crumbled.

I also believe space food sticks were the first incarnation of Power Bars.

WingedMonkey
08-25-2012, 18:53
See, a comment like that would have bothered me if I was the OP. WOO is right when he said I must not be a good fit for this site then... what do you think? Be careful with your answer WingedMonkey....;)

Facebook is your home page?

hikerboy57
08-25-2012, 19:00
I don't remember the space food sticks...

the astronauts were given a choice between spam singles and space food sticks. because of the confined quarters for the trip they went with the space food sticks. it was a 5 inch long softer type of tootsie roll

coach lou
08-25-2012, 19:00

A backpacking staple as a kid.

HikerMom58
08-25-2012, 19:01
Yes, when I log on to the WWW, FB is my home page.... what else do you want to know about me?

Rasty
08-25-2012, 19:03
Yes, when I log on to the WWW, FB is my home page.... what else do you want to know about me?

Do you float and weigh less than a duck?

hikerboy57
08-25-2012, 19:07
can you core a apple?

hikerboy57
08-25-2012, 19:08
89% thread drift

Old Hiker
08-25-2012, 19:10
RIP Neil Armstrong. Who else remembers watching the moon landing from a TV set?

Camp Sol Mayer, near Menard, Texas. I was Camp Staff - 12 years old and I got to stay up to watch.

I sure hope he's soaring with the eagles, now.

"Man, I don't know where the time goes
But it sure goes fast, just like that." Kenney Chesney

HikerMom58
08-25-2012, 19:10
the astronauts were given a choice between spam singles and space food sticks. because of the confined quarters for the trip they went with the space food sticks. it was a 5 inch long softer type of tootsie roll

Ok, thanks HB... I don't think I ever realized that. I remember the tang tho..I loved it when you reminded me of that.. FUN!! :)

HikerMom58
08-25-2012, 19:13

Ahh...I don't sink when I float...

coach lou
08-25-2012, 19:14
i remember i joined this "man in space program during the gemini flights, and had all kind of reading materials,star maps, a map of the moon, replicas of the LEM, Apollo capsule, etc, (as well as having full size replicas at the Worlds Fair. I remember the moment he uttered those famous words as he came down the ladder. all in black in white.

HB... I can't remember the name of it, but I belonged to something similar. I remember the stuff coming thru the mail in blue boxes. Maps, photos of crews, models of the ships all that stuff. I would right letters to astronauts, they would send me 8x10s.

Rasty
08-25-2012, 19:14

Ahh...I don't sink when I float...

What about the duck.

HikerMom58
08-25-2012, 19:16
can you core a apple?

Yes, I can.. I love that apple corer thingy.

HikerMom58
08-25-2012, 19:17
What about the duck.

Welp, I'm certain I must weigh more than a duck but I can still float.:D

Rasty
08-25-2012, 19:18
What about the duck.

Then your not a witch.

hikerboy57
08-25-2012, 19:18
see Mom you have to keep in mind that a lot of us here are idiots. it's all good.

Rasty
08-25-2012, 19:21
see Mom you have to keep in mind that a lot of us here are idiots. it's all good.

I resemble that!

WingedMonkey
Then your not a witch.

Prove it.....

hikerboy57
HB... I can't remember the name of it, but I belonged to something similar. I remember the stuff coming thru the mail in blue boxes. Maps, photos of crews, models of the ships all that stuff. I would right letters to astronauts, they would send me 8x10s. they would come once a month. but yeah that's exactly what I was talking about

Rasty
08-25-2012, 19:22
What about the duck.

Monty Python shaped my life.

HikerMom58
08-25-2012, 19:33
Prove it.....

I'm human with human emotions that I sometimes loose control of... I guess I could come across as a witch when that happens.... is that what you are talking about?

HikerMom58
08-25-2012, 19:37

I see!! :) I'm not into movies that much.... my daughter LOVES them. She makes up for me not watching them much. See, now I know something more about you, Rasty. :)

moytoy
08-25-2012, 19:45
I watched the lift off from Patrick AFB in Cocoa Beach. Nothing quite like a Saturn V lift off. RIP Mr. Armstrong.

Papa D
08-25-2012, 19:45
N.A. RIP but I always thought that the moon landing was a conspiracy. Check this out: www.apfn.org/apfn/moon.htm

HikerMom58
08-25-2012, 19:46

I know you guys aren't all idots... In fact, I betcha I would like all of you, if I met you all in person. I might not be able to relate to everyone or have much in common with some but there's not many people I really don't like...I mainly get hurt by people, but in the end, that's my own issue.

Rasty
08-25-2012, 19:51

I see!! :) I'm not into movies that much.... my daughter LOVES them. She makes up for me not watching them much. See, now I know something more about you, Rasty. :)

Assignment for the week
Rent the following movies and watch in order while drinking

The Holy Grail
The meaning of life
Life of Brian

Then you will understand

HikerMom58
08-25-2012, 20:02
Assignment for the week

The Holy Grail
The meaning of life
Life of Brian

Then you will understand

Well, Ok, I don't know if I can watch all those movies in one week but I can watch them over time. Maybe by the time you get back from your hike I will have watched them all... how's that? I don't remember when you are leaving or how long you will be out... hum... Now, that I think about it, I'm sure I can watch them all before you leave... I think you told me that you are leaving in mid Sept. right? Yup, that seems right... I'll get back to you before you leave. You're so funny.... :)

WingedMonkey- what do you think?

Rasty
08-25-2012, 20:36
Assignment for the week

The Holy Grail
The meaning of life
Life of Brian

Then you will understand

Well, Ok, I don't know if I can watch all those movies in one week but I can watch them over time. Maybe by the time you get back from your hike I will have watched them all... how's that? I don't remember when you are leaving or how long you will be out... hum... Now, that I think about it, I'm sure I can watch them all before you leave... I think you told me that you are leaving in mid Sept. right? Yup, that seems right... I'll get back to you before you leave. You're so funny.... :)

WingedMonkey- what do you think?

Don't forget to be drinking. Its important.

Disco
08-25-2012, 20:49

I remember it well ... but no one has mentioned the incredible coverage by Walter Cronkite, who was absolutely giddy at the accomplishment. As far as the AT, WingedMonkey ... well, you could say Neil Armstrong did a bit of 'hiking' on the Moon, and not only that, he was into 'ultralight' because he and everything up there weighed only one-sixth its weight on Earth. Now, if somebody could figure a weigh to cut five-sixths off the weight of everything we carry here on Earth, ..... just dreaming. RIP Mr. Armstrong, you were an inspiration to many! - Disco

Disco
08-25-2012, 20:51
It wasn't an intentional pun ... I really meant to say "figure a way", but typed "figure a weigh". Anyweigh, you understood. ;-)

daddytwosticks
08-26-2012, 12:42
Wasn't freeze-dried food a result of the space program? :)

Pedaling Fool
08-26-2012, 13:06
N.A. RIP but I always thought that the moon landing was a conspiracy. Check this out: www.apfn.org/apfn/moon.htm (http://www.apfn.org/apfn/moon.htm)
Who's conspiracy was it; the known govt's or the secret govt? As President Clinton said, "I wouldnt be the first President that underlings have lied to".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3F3CXspsuo

atraildreamer
08-26-2012, 13:18

Look at the picture! What is on their backs? These guys were the ULTIMATE BACKPACKERS!!

Hairbear
08-26-2012, 13:23
And I can hear the cackle of those that sound like Phyllis Diller around most campfires.you heard me huh..........lol

Rasty
08-26-2012, 13:30
Wasn't freeze-dried food a result of the space program? :)

Nasa inventions or Nasa funded inventions (Hiking related)

Freeze dried foods, many fabrics, LED's, shoe insoles, water filters, Solar power

Common Nasa Invention Myths (Hiking related)

Velcro, Tang, Teflon,

Hairbear
08-26-2012, 13:39
do you remember the saturday night live skit they did about that ,they showed armstrong coming down the ladder from the space ship,then stops and starts shaking his foot saying dam it into his mike,when they panned down he stepped in a big pile of dog doo.i was just a kid but i had a good laugh at that.

SassyWindsor
08-26-2012, 17:59
Wrestling is real, the "man of the moon" landing was faked. Met some folks in the US that actually believe this.

Pedaling Fool
08-26-2012, 18:06
Wrestling is real, the "man of the moon" landing was faked. Met some folks in the US that actually believe this.Is the subject discussed much in the U.K.?

SassyWindsor
08-26-2012, 18:08
NASA led the way for a lot of hiker clothing, dehydrated food and drink stuff, and areogel used in things like foot beds etc, I'm sure a lot of other things too.

atraildreamer
08-27-2012, 12:27
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by hikerboy57 http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1328939#post1328939)

A backpacking staple as a kid.

Along with Slim Jims.

moldy
08-27-2012, 20:12
He should not have taken performance enhancing drugs.

chiefduffy
08-28-2012, 05:11
HB... I can't remember the name of it, but I belonged to something similar. I remember the stuff coming thru the mail in blue boxes. Maps, photos of crews, models of the ships all that stuff. I would right letters to astronauts, they would send me 8x10s.

I used to get those, too. Studied every word, used a magnifying glass on every picture. I do miss the excitement of living in those times. Remember "Ask not...." ?

moytoy
08-28-2012, 05:49

Actually I see a connection with the AT. After all aren't we seeking adventure in our own small way when we hike. I have a bias opinion here but Nasa and all it's baggage is still, at it's core, trying to explore our world and our universe. To me thats not unlike me setting out to hike from Georgia to Maine.

hikerboy57
08-28-2012, 06:53
I used to get those, too. Studied every word, used a magnifying glass on every picture. I do miss the excitement of living in those times. Remember "Ask not...." ?

ask not what the AMC can do for you....

Rasty
08-28-2012, 09:38

but how much the CEO makes?

Water Rat
08-28-2012, 10:43

Monty Python is awesome! "Look, that rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!"

Water Rat
08-28-2012, 10:47

but where the he** am I? (If in the Whites)

coach lou
08-28-2012, 10:50
but where the he** am I? (If in the Whites)

So, New England is not that big.....where in New England are you?

Water Rat
08-28-2012, 10:53
So, New England is not that big.....where in New England are you?

I'll give you a couple of guesses... Ah, here is a clue. The authors of the book you are reading, are from there.

coach lou
08-28-2012, 10:54
I'll give you a couple of guesses... Ah, here is a clue. The authors of the book you are reading, are from there.

Sure, the biggest of the six.

Water Rat
08-28-2012, 10:57
Sure, the biggest of the six.

Biggest??? That is hardly flattering... Hmmmm, I thought the trees provided a "slimming" effect.

coach lou
08-28-2012, 11:10
Biggest??? That is hardly flattering... Hmmmm, I thought the trees provided a "slimming" effect.

I love Maine, when my legs give out I'm joining MITA.

Water Rat
08-28-2012, 11:13
I love Maine, when my legs give out I'm joining MITA.

:) The thought had crossed my mind, too. Then again, I am a bit biased with my love of water...

HikerMom58
08-28-2012, 11:47
Monty Python is awesome! "Look, that rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!"

Ok Good... Water Rat, You are awesome 2!! I will watch Holy Grail, you can take over my last 2 assignments and watch -The Meaning of Life & The Life of Brian. :cool:. Then, you can tell me all about weighing floating ducks and witches. PERFECT!!

Rasty
08-28-2012, 11:51
Ok Good... Water Rat, You are awesome 2!! I will watch Holy Grail, you can take over my last 2 assignments and watch -The Meaning of Life & The Life of Brian. :cool:. Then, you can tell me all about weighing floating ducks and witches. PERFECT!!

Sorry HikerMom but the Holy Grail is like first grade Monty Python, the Meaning of life is middle school and Life of Brian is their masterpiece but you must be ready for it first. The cliff notes from Water Rat just won't do

HikerMom58
08-28-2012, 12:01
Sorry HikerMom but the Holy Grail is like first grade Monty Python, the Meaning of life is middle school and Life of Brian is their masterpiece but you must be ready for it first. The cliff notes from Water Rat just won't do

Well, Ok Rasty, you're funny. LOL. But, don't blame me for trying to get Water Rat to watch them for me...she seemed so excited about it! :)