PDA

View Full Version : Winter.... I'm ready

10-K
08-25-2012, 20:21
Am I the only one that's ready for sub-30* temps and short days to hike in...

Winter is my favorite time to be on the trail, hiking at 7-8 PM in the dark when it's starting to really get cold and all that....

I'm counting the days...

MuddyWaters
08-25-2012, 20:35
And your chocolate doesnt melt!

kayak karl
08-25-2012, 20:41
ya gotta switch to Reese's Cups. those Snicker bars will break your teeth :)

Papa D
08-25-2012, 20:48
Let's do a winter hike 10K - I'm game - something out of Hot Springs?

10-K
08-25-2012, 20:51
Let's do a winter hike 10K - I'm game - something out of Hot Springs?

Sounds great to me... One of these days I'd like you to show me around the Shining Rock and Middle Prong Wilderness areas. I've hiked the Art Loeb and the MST through there but there's a lot more.

The Cleaner
08-25-2012, 21:03

Winter is my favorite time to be on the trail, hiking at 7-8 PM in the dark when it's starting to really get cold and all that....

I'm counting the days... +1 here Gotta Marmot Trail Wind Hoody on it's way to wear over 3 Smartwool and 2 Icebreaker base layers of varoius weights.Got most of them on Steep&Cheap.Got some for around town wear,just couldn't resist since prices were almost half off MSRP.After trying several polyester blend type base layer the merino wool seems to dry faster than the poly types.I'd like to be able to wear one and pack one then take my Patagonia Nano Puff pullover&Rain shell and that should get me through all but the worst of winter around here.Looking to go back through Rocky Fork and try to get into the Lost Cove area....See ya on the cold trail...

Mountain Mike
08-25-2012, 21:07
Just moved to SD from FL & looking forward to some ice climbing, snowshoeing & x-country skiing! My winter gear has been neglected for far to long!

10-K
08-25-2012, 21:44
+1 here Gotta Marmot Trail Wind Hoody on it's way to wear over 3 Smartwool and 2 Icebreaker base layers of varoius weights.Got most of them on Steep&Cheap.Got some for around town wear,just couldn't resist since prices were almost half off MSRP.After trying several polyester blend type base layer the merino wool seems to dry faster than the poly types.I'd like to be able to wear one and pack one then take my Patagonia Nano Puff pullover&Rain shell and that should get me through all but the worst of winter around here.Looking to go back through Rocky Fork and try to get into the Lost Cove area....See ya on the cold trail...

Did you ever find that lake?

Hairbear
08-25-2012, 21:53
love winter any state forest is completly empty

Mountain Mike
08-25-2012, 21:56
No bugs, less people, what's not to love?

Lyle
08-25-2012, 22:01
The best feeling of all:

Snug in your sleeping bag during a reasonably heavy, quiet snow fall. Or, alternatively, during a bright, full-moon night.

Nothing is as peaceful.

The Cleaner
08-25-2012, 22:03
Did you ever find that lake? I'm pretty sure I was less than a mile from it when the batteries on my GPS died and then the back-ups were dead too.I had a map&compass but it was getting late so we headed down and made it to the gate which is about 1/2 mile down to old US23.At this intersection you can see the turn off up to Devil's Fork Gap.I did find in TN Viking's gallery some pics of the lake.He also had a route to it from the Higgins Creek side...

The Cleaner
08-25-2012, 22:11
The best feeling of all:

Snug in your sleeping bag during a reasonably heavy, quiet snow fall. Or, alternatively, during a bright, full-moon night.

Nothing is as peaceful.I was out a few days each month last winter and found little snow.On one trip as soon as I got out of my truck the wind blew it seemed like 3 days,never letting up.It was so windy at Little Laurel Shelter that it took several tries to get my Svea going....wind still blowing when I got back to my truck.....

4shot
08-25-2012, 22:41
No bugs, less people, what's not to love?

ok, I'll be "that guy"...one thing (maybe the only thing) I don't like about winter camping is the fact that it gets dark in the woods around here about 4:30 PM. (very eastern edge of Central time zone). On the nights where it's too cold for a fire or not enough time to gather firewood, it can make for a very long time in the bag. Other than that, i do enjoy it .

wornoutboots
08-26-2012, 00:09
++1 Love the Winter!

Maddog
08-26-2012, 06:28

I'm counting the days...
No sir, you are not the only one! I love winter camping! Maddog:D

moytoy
08-26-2012, 06:37
I'm jealous! Winter time in Florida is the time for hiking but I only get to sleep in below freezing temps three or four times a year.

10-K
08-26-2012, 06:51
ok, I'll be "that guy"...one thing (maybe the only thing) I don't like about winter camping is the fact that it gets dark in the woods around here about 4:30 PM. (very eastern edge of Central time zone). On the nights where it's too cold for a fire or not enough time to gather firewood, it can make for a very long time in the bag. Other than that, i do enjoy it .

That's what headlamps are for! Keep hiking just like it was summer hours.

Toli
08-26-2012, 07:05

​+1... No need to stop because its dark or cold out... Bring on Winter!!!

Another Kevin
08-26-2012, 08:03
I love hiking in the shoulder season in late fall or early spring when the leaves are off the trees and there are no mud, bugs, nettles or tourists. I had a great trip this past April in squalls of sleet. But I draw the line short of full-on winter. Ice axe, crampons, snowshoes, and clothing and sleeping gear for subzero temperatures are just too darned heavy.

This past year, winter never came.

Papa D
08-26-2012, 08:04
Sounds great to me... One of these days I'd like you to show me around the Shining Rock and Middle Prong Wilderness areas. I've hiked the Art Loeb and the MST through there but there's a lot more.

Sure thing - I was up in Shining Rock last week. Middle Prong is relatively small - only about 9000 acres which is about 1/2 the size of Shining Rock but has a couple of really pretty watersheds - it's nice in the Spring when the water is high and wildflowers are out.
One trip I already have planned (if you want to go) is a Joyce Kilmer trip (just a long weekend) on Nov 2-5

4shot
08-26-2012, 08:58

10-K, I have tripped, stumbled, slipped, fallen,etc. enough on the trail during broad daylight. I can't imagine how much worse it would be in the dark. ;)
One night that sticks in my mind when I did get stuck hiking in the dark was
BurntBald mtn. (I think) just south of Jerry's Cabin in a sleet storm.It's an exposed very rocky walk and I was worried about slipping so I was going at a very slow pace. I could smell the campfire at the shelter a while before I got there. I was cold and miserable and never so happy to see a fire and shelter in all my life.

10-K
08-26-2012, 09:24
It wasn't fun then but man what a great story it makes now!!

Tipi Walter
08-26-2012, 10:19
Winter? What's not to like??

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2008/Blizzard-on-the-Bob-and-the/i-prQv24H/0/L/Trip-85-034-L.jpg

Maddog
08-26-2012, 10:27
Winter? What's not to like??

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2008/Blizzard-on-the-Bob-and-the/i-prQv24H/0/L/Trip-85-034-L.jpg

No one is more prepared for winter hiking than Tipi! Maddog:D

10-K
08-26-2012, 10:30

10-K
08-26-2012, 10:30
Darn voice recognition...

I meant you mean winter camping don't you?

Maddog
08-26-2012, 10:38
Darn voice recognition...

I meant you mean winter camping don't you?
You are correct , Sir! Maddog:D

Rasty
08-26-2012, 10:57

The little east fork trail is worth hiking. It's goes from the BSA camp to Shining Rock Gap. There is a great campsite about 1/3 to 1/2 way up right besides the creek. The trail was overgrown three years ago. It's a horse trail but didn't look like a horse had been on it in years.

The shining creek trail from the big east fork parking lot is also a real good way to get to Shining Rock, then come back to the parking lot on the Old Butt Knob trail.

mudhead
08-26-2012, 11:17
Bunch of Southern Fried crack heads.

I got your snow and ice right here.:)

Rasty
08-26-2012, 11:18
Bunch of Southern Fried crack heads.

I got your snow and ice right here.:)

Too funny! We got your warm balmy day down here! :p

coach lou
08-26-2012, 11:22

I'm counting the days...

I have 4 games to ref in the next 2 weeks. Even with my bum knee[which will heal] all this walking I've done since last season, I feel very strong. I should have my edge in 2 weeks instead of 4.

Drybones
08-26-2012, 12:34
I'm with you on winter hiking...colder the better...makes you feel alive, may not can feel the fingers but the rest of you feels alive...love hugging that campfire, roasting on one side, cold on the other, someone should invent a rotating campfire seat. People think we're crazy, bad weather is a reason to go out. Wife and I spent last Christmas on the Pinhoti in a snow storm camping, went for a hike and the tent was almost down with the snow accumulation on it when we returned. We hung a 16' tarp high enough to build a healthy fire under. Perfect weather...there's no such thing as bad weather...just bad clothes.

Papa D
08-26-2012, 12:44
The little east fork trail is worth hiking. It's goes from the BSA camp to Shining Rock Gap. There is a great campsite about 1/3 to 1/2 way up right besides the creek. The trail was overgrown three years ago. It's a horse trail but didn't look like a horse had been on it in years.

The shining creek trail from the big east fork parking lot is also a real good way to get to Shining Rock, then come back to the parking lot on the Old Butt Knob trail.

I did a loop that started with Old Butt Knob last week - it's a spirited hike going up

Rasty
08-26-2012, 13:11
I did a loop that started with Old Butt Knob last week - it's a spirited hike going up

I did the opposite last year with my daughter who was 10 at the time. We went down that hill.

WingedMonkey
08-26-2012, 15:44
10K is a weed whimp, winter is the only time he don't scratch up his bony knees.

:sun

10-K
08-26-2012, 16:15
10K is a weed whimp, winter is the only time he don't scratch up his bony knees.

Hey! How did you know I have boney knees???

(Me on Mt. Mansfield)

Toli
08-26-2012, 16:57

(Me on Mt. Mansfield)

Seriously??? I'm surprised Drake hasn't tried to bury one of those :D...

10-K
08-26-2012, 17:10
Drake is otherwise occupied... :)

Toli
08-26-2012, 17:15
Drake is otherwise occupied... :)

​Now thats funny...

mudhead
08-26-2012, 17:29
Wonder what it would do if you said "whoops" and something hit the floor.

10-K
08-26-2012, 17:32
He'd roll over on his side... That's Drake's sleeping position almost all the time.

Drybones
08-26-2012, 17:47

(Me on Mt. Mansfield)

Wow...nice legs there! My dad used to tell me I traded legs with a killdeer and the killdeer got the bad end of the deal.

Sarcasm the elf
08-26-2012, 20:51
I knew I shouldn't have read this thread, it's making me wish it was winter right now.

I think I've got my hiking buddy convinced that we should do a four or five day hike this December. But until then I've got to deal with hiking during the end-of-summer/pre-first frost angry yellow jacket season.

coach lou
08-26-2012, 21:13
I knew I shouldn't have read this thread, it's making me wish it was winter right now.

I think I've got my hiking buddy convinced that we should do a four or five day hike this December. But until then I've got to deal with hiking during the end-of-summer/pre-first frost angry yellow jacket season.

Elf, I think you need to get out ....soon.

You should stoll through your gallery, I realize it's sunday evening, but it gives you a whole week to plan.
Just by coinsidence, Sherrie wants to take Mac & Cliff out again, Labor Day. So you pick a spot , then I'll take them 100 miles N or S

Sarcasm the elf
08-26-2012, 21:20
Elf, I think you need to get out ....soon.

You should stoll through your gallery, I realize it's sunday evening, but it gives you a whole week to plan.
Just by coinsidence, Sherrie wants to take Mac & Cliff out again, Labor Day. So you pick a spot , then I'll take them 100 miles N or S

I already have the next several weekends planned unfortunately, same way the whole summer has been going for me. It's been a bad hiking year so far. :(

3_dogs
08-26-2012, 21:47
Carry Tootsie Rolls in the summer. They won't melt.

coach lou
08-26-2012, 21:50
Carry Tootsie Rolls in the summer. They won't melt.

Always learning good stuff on the WB:)

hikerboy57
08-26-2012, 22:08
they are also excellent for removing fillings

Mags
08-26-2012, 22:30

Winter means backcountry skiing for me... Ahhh.... Love skiing almost as much as hiking.

http://ih1.redbubble.net/image.9793911.6179/flat,550x550,075,f.jpg

Mountain Mike
08-26-2012, 22:32
Winter can be fun 17190

Chaco Taco
08-27-2012, 06:13
yea dude, I hear ya. Im ready for some snowshoe in

Gray Blazer
08-27-2012, 07:15
I have 4 games to ref in the next 2 weeks. Even with my bum knee[which will heal] all this walking I've done since last season, I feel very strong. I should have my edge in 2 weeks instead of 4.

If you go hiking in 10' weather you won't feel your knee. I camped in the Nantahalas in the storm of 06. It did not get much above 20' for 5 days. Just got done with ACL replacement and didn't feel a thing. Now that summer my knee was killing me. Go figure.

coach lou
08-27-2012, 08:40
If you go hiking in 10' weather you won't feel your knee. I camped in the Nantahalas in the storm of 06. It did not get much above 20' for 5 days. Just got done with ACL replacement and didn't feel a thing. Now that summer my knee was killing me. Go figure.

Just a strain, slipped in a New Jersey Thunderstorm. A few games on the ice and it will be fine. I have to finish Jersey this fall. I cut it short because of 3 day rain.

WingedMonkey
08-27-2012, 08:53
Winter?? It's still hurricane season.
9.6 inches of rain at my place in less than 24 hours. More to come.

Chaco Taco
08-27-2012, 09:17

Thats not all its raining in Florida this week ;)

coach lou
08-27-2012, 09:23

You Floridians would need to pack your fleece the last few mornings in New England!

HikerMom58
08-27-2012, 09:28
Thats not all its raining in Florida this week ;)

The jokes have been pretty good on both sides:p Stay safe WingedMonkey!!

HikerMom58
08-27-2012, 09:31
You Floridians would need to pack your fleece the last few mornings in New England!

I remember those mornings in New England... hope it means that ur fall colors will be brillant this year. There's nothing better than fall in New England.. Ahhhh...

Pedaling Fool
08-27-2012, 09:39

:sunVirtually everyday I watch the sun and where shade is and I watch it change on almost a daily basis; I'm watching the approach of winter :) Also, the time I need to don my hat (sun visor) while riding my bike is earlier and earlier every day, thanks to the :sun

WingedMonkey
08-27-2012, 10:15

I have spent more than a few winters with my friends the Guthries off of the AT in the Berks. I am amazed at how people born there wear no more than enough to get from the house to the car and from the car into the next building. The whole time whining about how cold it is. I went on strike one year and refused to chop more wood until the girls wore more than shorts and tee's in the house while leaving the doors open all the time.
I, of course carry a bag with three layers of clothes and food and water in the car, with the assumption that I'm gonna get stuck in the stuff.
The winter I stayed in the Church in Housatonic (yes I lived in a bell tower) I would ride the bike in the snow to the store in Great Barrington. People would pull over and ask me if I was OK (more like.."dude are you crazy") It was easy until the salt and plows made a mess of it all.
Our schools are closed today because of the storm, in the Berkshires they close school when the first snow flake falls and go on the news all day about it, like it was the first time it ever happened. That's when I go hiking. Right out the back door to the trail.

Chaco Taco
08-27-2012, 10:39
I remember those mornings in New England... hope it means that ur fall colors will be brillant this year. There's nothing better than fall in New England.. Ahhhh...
Got shots of the Sugar Maples starting to turn red and purple in The Whites yesterday :)

HikerMom58
08-27-2012, 10:40
I have spent more than a few winters with my friends the Guthries off of the AT in the Berks. I am amazed at how people born there wear no more than enough to get from the house to the car and from the car into the next building. The whole time whining about how cold it is. I went on strike one year and refused to chop more wood until the girls wore more than shorts and tee's in the house while leaving the doors open all the time.
I, of course carry a bag with three layers of clothes and food and water in the car, with the assumption that I'm gonna get stuck in the stuff.
The winter I stayed in the Church in Housatonic (yes I lived in a bell tower) I would ride the bike in the snow to the store in Great Barrington. People would pull over and ask me if I was OK (more like.."dude are you crazy") It was easy until the salt and plows made a mess of it all.
Our schools are closed today because of the storm, in the Berkshires they close school when the first snow flake falls and go on the news all day about it, like it was the first time it ever happened. That's when I go hiking. Right out the back door to the trail.

Well, I find all this very interesting, indeed. Especially the part where you lived in a bell tower. That sounds cool! And now, you find yourself in West Palm.... that's not very close to the AT.
The Berks is a beautiful place to live. Humm... you better not float away in this hurricane. We won't ever get to hear more of ur interesting stories. Share more.....................

I lived in NH until I was 18... they NEVER closed schools. I moved to Lynchburg VA. where they closed the schools over a forecast of snow, when we never saw 1 flake fall from the sky. LOL. It happens. :sun

scree
08-27-2012, 19:32
I don't care much for winter hiking because I have a hard time managing sweat. I sweat a lot and get really tired of applying or peeling off layers whenever I stop or start. I have lizard blood and get cold very easily, and once I'm cold it takes forever to feel comfortably warm again even when in front of a fire. I like winter car camping but not hiking or anything else outside that's likely to turn me into a sweaty popsicle. Anyone with similar experience have ways of dealing with this?

1azarus
08-27-2012, 20:35
i just found this thread, and chuckled my way through reading it. earlier today i was doing what i like to do best -- sneaking out of work to go for a short hike up the head of sleeping giant ... surprisingly interesting hiking for around here in CT, and I was daydreaming about my winter gear!!! at the end of last winter i bought a pair of goretex socks which i'm dying to try in a pair of minimalist trail runners a full size too big, over a hefty wool sock. Add snow or not. Add rain or not. Add ice or not. Just give me some cold weather. Yes, I can't wait, either. Oh -- and my sweet little wood burning stove, which hasn't seen snow yet, can keep me company, too! Ah, the daydreams of a gear freak.

10-K
08-27-2012, 20:43
Well, I find all this very interesting, indeed. Especially the part where you lived in a bell tower.

Why do you think she has the trail name "Winged Monkey"? :)

Sarcasm the elf
08-27-2012, 22:18
i just found this thread, and chuckled my way through reading it. earlier today i was doing what i like to do best -- sneaking out of work to go for a short hike up the head of sleeping giant ... surprisingly interesting hiking for around here in CT, and I was daydreaming about my winter gear!!! at the end of last winter i bought a pair of goretex socks which i'm dying to try in a pair of minimalist trail runners a full size too big, over a hefty wool sock. Add snow or not. Add rain or not. Add ice or not. Just give me some cold weather. Yes, I can't wait, either. Oh -- and my sweet little wood burning stove, which hasn't seen snow yet, can keep me company, too! Ah, the daydreams of a gear freak.

Sleeping Giant! Still my favorite non A.T. hiking spot in Connecticut. My first overnight "backpacking" trip was with the scouts at the one legal campsite in the park. I'm still amazed that such good hiking exists in the middle of the state.

coach lou
08-27-2012, 22:25
Sleeping Giant! Still my favorite non A.T. hiking spot in Connecticut. My first overnight "backpacking" trip was with the scouts at the one legal campsite in the park. I'm still amazed that such good hiking exists in the middle of the state.

We would practicaly live at the youth sites at Pataconk, Cockaponset in Chester.

Sarcasm the elf
08-27-2012, 22:37
We would practicaly live at the youth sites at Pataconk, Cockaponset in Chester.

I don't know that one, is it a scout camp?

coach lou
08-28-2012, 05:47
State Forest Youth group sites, on north end of pond. My dad took our troop 40 years ago, I took half of my sons hockey team 20 yrs ago. Sherrie took her daughters Girl scout troop last summer. Cool place to get a taste of camping. Close, right on a not busy lake with small beach, a few shelters and privy.