PDA

View Full Version : White Gas Availability By the Ounce

TwoRoads
08-25-2012, 23:30
A friend of mine and I are planning about a 90 mile trip on the AT in early October, and we are looking ahead to a thru hike when we retire (about 5 years). So we've been talking about gear, logistics, etc. My friend really likes his MSR stove, but is not sure how available white gas is by the ounce. Any observations, anyone?

Mountain Mike
08-25-2012, 23:35
Not that hard to find. What area?

Different Socks
08-25-2012, 23:37
Pick up a copy of the Thu Hikers Handbook, it will tell you what places sell white gas by the ounce.

TwoRoads
08-25-2012, 23:56
Georgia/NC line to Fontana. But we were wondering whether it's easy to find most places or if it's a logistical problem. If it is, might think about not going with a white gas stove like MSR. My stove is an ESBIT, the fuel for which I suspect is harder to find on the trail, but at least it can be mailed to drop spots, whereas, of course, white gas cannot.

TwoRoads
08-25-2012, 23:58
Yes, I have a copy of Thru-Hiker's Handbook, but think it would be kind of a headache to go through it chapter by chapter at this point to find the exact places to refill; just more interested in the general question of whether people have found it to be a bit of a problem generally or not much of a problem at all. Thanks for your responses.

Wise Old Owl
08-26-2012, 00:50
White gas is still available its a little harder to find on shelfs - it's just gasoline that hasn't the additives and is cleaner to reduce soot. Wisperlite International use to offer two venturies for the unclean gas... I have seen it at Walmart recently in pints. Limited quantities.

Primus sells it as Power Fuel Colman gallons have all but dissipated on the market. Pints look like this 17172

This may be a difficult decision, you might want to consider other options.

Mountain Mike
08-26-2012, 01:29
Never had much of a problem finding it. In a pinch just burn Hi test gasoline which worked fine. I wouldn't even give it a second thought if stove has a shaker jet.

Different Socks
08-26-2012, 02:05
White gas is still available its a little harder to find on shelfs - it's just gasoline that hasn't the additives and is cleaner to reduce soot. Wisperlite International use to offer two venturies for the unclean gas... I have seen it at Walmart recently in pints. Limited quantities.

Primus sells it as Power Fuel Colman gallons have all but dissipated on the market. Pints look like this 17172

This may be a difficult decision, you might want to consider other options.

So let me get this straight: You can easily get fuel for alky stoves on the AT now, but it's much harder to refuel if you use a white gas stove?

TwoRoads
08-26-2012, 07:50
Thanks for the responses so far, and I am still interested in more responses. I am very happy with my ESBIT solution, as it is lightweight, easy to get the right amount, and of course re-supply is easily solved through mail drops. My friend will be buying a new stove and he's always liked the MSR Whisperlite and I can't blame him. It was my choice also until I came across ESBIT. I would assume the new Whisperlites have the shakerjet also; good point, Mountain Mike. Thanks to all for the reponses so far, and more opinions are certainly welcome.

Bucho
08-26-2012, 18:16
A friend of mine and I are planning about a 90 mile trip on the AT in early October, and we are looking ahead to a thru hike when we retire (about 5 years). So we've been talking about gear, logistics, etc. My friend really likes his MSR stove, but is not sure how available white gas is by the ounce. Any observations, anyone?

I don't suppose it's a whisperlite international? If so just go to the gas station. It took me a couple of tries not to spray gas everywhere but once you get used to it, cheap fuel that you can find everywhere.

Bucho
08-26-2012, 18:23
So let me get this straight: You can easily get fuel for alky stoves on the AT now, but it's much harder to refuel if you use a white gas stove?

Yes, with an "alky" stove you can also burn rubbing alcohol and heet which means you can refuel at grocery stores, convenience stores, dollar general, pharmacies, hardware stores and gas stations as well as outfitters and hostels.

daddytwosticks
08-26-2012, 18:27
Esbit fuel is available at the two outfitters in Franklin and the outfitter at the NOC. If you go with a canister stove, fuel is easy to find at these outfitters also. :)

Different Socks
08-26-2012, 23:21
Yes, with an "alky" stove you can also burn rubbing alcohol and heet which means you can refuel at grocery stores, convenience stores, dollar general, pharmacies, hardware stores and gas stations as well as outfitters and hostels.

Thanks, but it didn't answer my question: Is it not true that I can assume that if I use a white gas stove, there are still plenty of places to get it along the trail? I like the idea of an alky stove, but all they can do is boil water. I like to simmer, bake, boil, fry, etc.

TwoRoads
08-27-2012, 21:41
I don't suppose it's a whisperlite international? If so just go to the gas station. It took me a couple of tries not to spray gas everywhere but once you get used to it, cheap fuel that you can find everywhere.

Actually, I think my friend is thinking about a Whisperlite International. Not sure what he'll end up ultimately buying. He just mentioned that if it's a stove that can accept multiple different fuels, that he will probably decide on one and stick with it rather than switching fuels from one time to the next. Not sure whether there would be any disadvantage to that or not, but that's his take.

Bucho
08-27-2012, 22:11
Thanks, but it didn't answer my question: Is it not true that I can assume that if I use a white gas stove, there are still plenty of places to get it along the trail?

Sorry I have no idea, I started the AT with the whisperlite international because I shared your misconception about alcohol stoves after a bad experience in the Austrian Alps. Thing is I just kept filling it with unleaded.

I like the idea of an alky stove, but all they can do is boil water. I like to simmer, bake, boil, fry, etc.
I don't do the freeze dried meals, I'm also a fan of cooking dinner. I switched to the etowah stove at the NOC after watching other thru hikers do the same sort of meals I was into with it. I actually liked cooking with it better as it doesn't have the same tendency to burn things to the bottom of my pot.

swjohnsey
08-28-2012, 07:16
Fuel for your MSR is as close as the nearest gas station and only about $0.04/oune.

Wizardfingers
09-05-2012, 16:28
I thru-hiked in 2011 with a Whisperlite for the entire trip, only using white gas, and never had a shortage. I usually resupplied every 4-6 days, so around every 100 miles, and I usually didn't need to refill the gas each week (I seem to recall having the 20 oz. size fuel bottle).