PDA

View Full Version : water in MD

drumdancer
08-26-2012, 13:52
We are doing a section next week. Are all the water sources in Maryland good or have some dried up? What are the nighttime temps?

Ktaadn
08-26-2012, 20:01
It has rained over 3" today and it is still raining. I think you will be good to go next week.

It has been in the 60's and 70's at night.

3_dogs
08-26-2012, 21:50
There are spigots at Dalhgren campground, Washington Monument SP, and Gathland SP. Top up as you pass by.

Don H
08-26-2012, 22:01
There are spigots at Dalhgren campground, Washington Monument SP, and Gathland SP. Top up as you pass by.

Also a water fountain at the bath house at PenMar Park.

Try to avoid getting water at Ed Garvey Shelter, it's almost 1/2 mile straight down!

tdoczi
08-26-2012, 23:22
dont think i felt the need to get water out of anything other than a faucet in MD, theyre all over the place.

Don H
08-27-2012, 08:01
There's a 21.5 mile section between Washington Monument and Pen Mar Park where there are no faucets. There are however plenty of other sources.

Some things to be aware of:
Last year I stopped at Pine Knob shelter and the water source there smelled like sulfur so I didn't drink it.
The spring at Crampton Gap Shelter can go dry, but we've had plenty of rain and Gathland is only 1/4 mile away.
The AT guide says the water source at the new Raven Rock Shelter is 0.1 mile away. I haven't found it but I believe the closest water is at the old Devil's Racecourse Shelter. Anyone know for sure?

mikec
08-27-2012, 10:23
The AT guide says the water source at the new Raven Rock Shelter is 0.1 mile away. I haven't found it but I believe the closest water is at the old Devil's Racecourse Shelter. Anyone know for sure?

Yes, it is right before you get to the old shelter. It was running very low last time I was there.

Don H
08-27-2012, 17:34
Well if it's down the trail to the old Devil's Racecourse Shelter that's more than 0.1 miles from the new shelter.

RETCW4
08-29-2012, 15:57
Well if it's down the trail to the old Devil's Racecourse Shelter that's more than 0.1 miles from the new shelter.

The sign at Raven Rock Shelter says .6 mile.

Ktaadn
08-30-2012, 14:58
The sign at Raven Rock Shelter says .6 mile.

I would say that is accurate. Coming from the south, I got water at the stream crossing before the shelter. I think it was a little under a mile before getting there.

dovecote
09-05-2012, 11:46
I did a day hike this past Sunday from Foxville Road to I-70. Water was available at the Cowall Shelter, Pogo Campsite, Annapolis Rocks, and Pine Knob Shelter. The piped spring at Annapolis Rocks was flowing well. At my lunch stop at Pogo several were getting water and were praising the source.

Studlintsean
09-05-2012, 12:16
Heading south from Raven Rock last year just before your first hill down to the first stream there was a rock wall on the left side that was gushing water out of it. This was in late Novemeber and it was some of the best damn water I have ever had. Keep an eye out for it.