PDA

View Full Version : Lye Brook Trail between Bourn Pond & Stratton Pond

Monkeywrench
08-26-2012, 14:48
I have a new hammock arriving in the mail tomorrow so I think I am going to head to Vermont for a few days this week, before the holiday weekend crowds fill up the woods. It's been a few years since I've been into the Lye Brook Wilderness so I think that's where I am going to head.

It's probably been 6 or 7 years since I've been on the Lye Brook Trail between Bourn and Stratton Ponds. At that time there was a couple of tricky parts and I got a bootful of water at one crossing, but nothing to write home about. However I've heard rumors fairly recently of huge backups due to beaver activity with water 6' deep, and when I checked the GMC website for trail updates it said:

"The Lye Brook Trail between Stratton and Bourn Ponds is challenging and requires map and compass skills to navigate."

Has anyone been through here this season that can shed some light on what the current conditions actually are? It would be nice to know heading in, but if not I'll find out in a few days.

Thanks!

P.S. As a totally unrelated aside, the first time I hiked this trail it was still the route of the AT. That would have been back in the early 70s, when hikers wore cut-off dungarees and heavy leather boots imported from Italy, and Kelty pretty much owned the backpack market.

Jeff
08-26-2012, 17:58
I will check with some friends and let you know.

Monkeywrench
08-26-2012, 20:57
I will check with some friends and let you know.

Thanks Jeff, I should have thought to ask you. I'll be looking for your info.

burger
08-26-2012, 21:43
We just hiked this trail yesterday as part of a 20-mile figure-8 loop: Stratton Pond Trail->AT to William Douglas Shelter->Bourn Pond->Stratton Pond->AT over Stratton Mountain).

The Lye Brook Trail is absolutely doable, and you don't need a compass. The section closest to Stratton Pond is sort of a mess due to blowdowns and brushy regrowth. We had to duck under several downed trees and clamber over one huge one. In a couple of iffy sections, there are blue flags marking the route, but there is a trail the entire way. The stream crossing just below Stratton Pond required a bit of maneuvering, but I kept my feet dry.

Monkeywrench
08-27-2012, 08:15
We just hiked this trail yesterday as part of a 20-mile figure-8 loop: Stratton Pond Trail->AT to William Douglas Shelter->Bourn Pond->Stratton Pond->AT over Stratton Mountain).

The Lye Brook Trail is absolutely doable, and you don't need a compass. The section closest to Stratton Pond is sort of a mess due to blowdowns and brushy regrowth. We had to duck under several downed trees and clamber over one huge one. In a couple of iffy sections, there are blue flags marking the route, but there is a trail the entire way. The stream crossing just below Stratton Pond required a bit of maneuvering, but I kept my feet dry.

Thanks burger; very helpful!