PDA

View Full Version : Bear facts

jockellis
08-26-2012, 23:20
Hi. Is there anything new on USFS's warning through June to use the bearproof cannisters near Neels Gap in Georgia? My next section hike will start six miles north of Neels Gap from Hogpen Gap northward and I don't want to meet any bears at night there. Also, are dogs good at scaring off bears? I see Youtube posts of cats chasing off black bear from porches and backyards so I wonder about what bears think when they smell canines. Maybe I should get an alleycat from the pound.

coldstealie
08-27-2012, 12:12
Hi. Is there anything new on USFS's warning through June to use the bearproof cannisters near Neels Gap in Georgia? My next section hike will start six miles north of Neels Gap from Hogpen Gap northward and I don't want to meet any bears at night there. Also, are dogs good at scaring off bears? I see Youtube posts of cats chasing off black bear from porches and backyards so I wonder about what bears think when they smell canines. Maybe I should get an alleycat from the pound.

There is no regulation anymore (as far as I know) to have a bear canister for that section. While it's always a good bet to have one, It's not a a requirement at the moment.

moldy
08-27-2012, 20:20
Barking dogs work very well at driving off bears as well as sounding the alarm when bears are near.