PDA

View Full Version : selling homemade gear

spanky4x4
08-27-2012, 11:41
I have had some pretty good luck with some of my homemade gear, especially sleeping quilts modified from old sleeping bags. They are also pretty light, reasonably warm(15* and 30*) and repeatable. I would like to earn a little extra money by making a few and selling them, or offering a service to modify bags for other people who are to scared/ intimidated to try it themselves. What are the rules for doing something like that? I'm not thinking of a full blown business venture, just want to earn hiking money for next year.

Thanks for pointing me the right way.
Spanky:D

perrymk
08-27-2012, 11:45
I've had similar thoughts (not so much hiking gear as other things) and look forward to hearing from those running the cottage businesses. In the meantime, it seems like anything can be sold on eBay.

spanky4x4
08-27-2012, 12:11
I've been trying on ebay with little luck. I don't think I'm listing them in the right areas so the right people see them. I know I could probably sell them through the used gear forum here, but didn't know if its ok to make them specifically for sale.

Durtydan
08-27-2012, 23:56
post some pictures...I'd like to see what they look like

spanky4x4
08-28-2012, 10:39
i've never posted pics here, but i will certainly try.

HeartFire
08-28-2012, 10:55
be careful what you wish for!

I would also be cautious about modifying other peoples gear (sleeping bags) If you do this, you will be voiding any warranty they may have on the item, and, if you accidentally mess it up, you will be responsible for replacing it.

Good luck on your business venture

spanky4x4
08-28-2012, 11:20
be careful what you wish for!

I would also be cautious about modifying other peoples gear (sleeping bags) If you do this, you will be voiding any warranty they may have on the item, and, if you accidentally mess it up, you will be responsible for replacing it.

Good luck on your business venture

good point. i would hope that anyone considering such a mod either wouldn't care about any warranty, or wouldn't have one. I guess i would also need to specify that i am not responsible if they are not satisfied as there wouldn't be much way to reverse the mods. If I really srewed something up I would feel obligated to replace the item, so I'll need to be careful and make sure i can be successful at the mod and if i can't do it correctly, i would have to refuse the job.
Thanks for pointing this out.

spanky4x4
08-28-2012, 11:30
1721917220The finished size is 72"x 59" the weight is 36 oz (2lb, 4oz)
this one i would rate at 15*. it has 2 layers of polarguard. i have used this one down to 9* but was getting cold. This is also the only one available right now. What i do is buy new or excellent military surplus "patrol" bags and remove the zipper, snaps, and hood. a single layer is rated at 30* the finished size on the 30* is the same and the weight is 26 oz. not super ultra light but plenty cheap to try a quilt. i use mine in my hammock, in shelters and on the couch. I'm bigger then most so I leave them wide. if someone was skinny or short i could narrow them, or even shorten them.

spanky4x4
08-28-2012, 11:35
forgot to add. I could sell this one for $30 plus shipping. they are not all gona be this cheap but i got a great deal on these. normal price would be between $40-50. depending on what they cost me.

leaftye
08-28-2012, 13:31
I believe most of the cottage guys got a lot of their business by showing off their skills in build threads. Not only do build threads show off your goods, but it can show that you know what you're doing.

spanky4x4
08-28-2012, 14:29
I believe most of the cottage guys got a lot of their business by showing off their skills in build threads. Not only do build threads show off your goods, but it can show that you know what you're doing.

good tip. thanks. i have some stock coming. I'll document what i do and post it. Thanks!