PDA

View Full Version : Cheap, light and efficient rain gear.

coldstealie
08-27-2012, 12:46
Anyone have any suggestions on rain gear/ponchos on the cheap? I'm open to anything including DIY.

fredmugs
08-27-2012, 13:19
http://www.golite.com/Poncho-Tarp-P885.aspx

This may not meet your definition of cheap.

Drybones
08-27-2012, 14:31
I used a poncho/shelter that coverers the pack also. Weighs 9.6 oz and did great. I believe the brand name was Equinox. Also serves as a pretty good quick shelter if needed. Bought mine at Campmor.

Mags
08-27-2012, 14:39
Try DriDucks:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/driducks_rain_gear.html

Ender
08-27-2012, 14:47
I've been using one of these for 3 season rain protection.
http://www.coghlans.com/products/emergency-poncho-9173
Super light, super cheap, and just replace it when it wears out. I wore one through the White Mountains during my AT hike and it held up just fine. I'd say I generally get maybe 150-300 trail miles out of one of these, depending on weather and trail conditions.

Chaco Taco
08-27-2012, 18:10
I dont know, I keep buying Marmot Precips. They are cheap when on sale, they last a couple of years and do the job. Never had a bad expericne with the 2 I have owned. You get what you pay for

FarmerChef
08-27-2012, 18:10
That's practically identical to the ones I use from Wal Mart. If you're careful with them they can hold up for quite a bit but they don't deal well with snags on trees, briars or just about anything else you might rub up against. That said, they are big enough to cover you and your pack though your shorts may get wet on the bottom half depending on how tall/short you are. They are seriously light and can be wadded back up and stuffed in a ziploc when it stops raining.

Chaco Taco
08-27-2012, 18:18
That's practically identical to the ones I use from Wal Mart. If you're careful with them they can hold up for quite a bit but they don't deal well with snags on trees, briars or just about anything else you might rub up against. That said, they are big enough to cover you and your pack though your shorts may get wet on the bottom half depending on how tall/short you are. They are seriously light and can be wadded back up and stuffed in a ziploc when it stops raining.
Dicks always has those columbia jackets that are like $20-$25.

hikerboy57
08-27-2012, 19:23
I dont know, I keep buying Marmot Precips. They are cheap when on sale, they last a couple of years and do the job. Never had a bad expericne with the 2 I have owned. You get what you pay for

i upgraded my precip to a marmot mica. its more expensive, but half the weight, more breathable and packs smaller. the new ones have pitzips, mine didnt.so far holding up after about 300 miles

10-K
08-27-2012, 19:40
Cheap, light, efficient... Pick any 2...

hikerboy57
08-27-2012, 20:00
mica?light?yes Efficient?yes.cheap?nonono

hikerboy57
08-27-2012, 20:01
costs more than a night in a hut

Wise Old Owl
08-27-2012, 20:05
http://www.golite.com/Poncho-Tarp-P885.aspx

This may not meet your definition of cheap.

Fred you just recommended something that hasn't been in stock in over a year!

http://www.promoplace.com/ws/ws.dll/QPic?SN=67345&P=533472372&RS=300Well its about a little more than a $ and its gold a few ounces and you can get it in clear and it works - Its huge in the UL forum. take some concrete string and you can pitch this as a tarp. Got to know your knots and pebbles.

You did ask and I delivered.... for more info see the gallery.

Rasty
08-27-2012, 20:12

It's the Marmot CEO being paid too much. Time to protest.

Dicks for me. Cheap Columbia which in the south I only wear in camp. Otherwise I just hike in the rain. AC, shower and laundry all at the same time.

Moose2001
08-27-2012, 20:18
[QUOTE=Rasty;1329864]It's the Marmot CEO being paid too much. Time to protest.QUOTE]

Thanks Rasty! That's the best laugh I've had all day!

Rasty
08-27-2012, 20:21
[QUOTE=Rasty;1329864]It's the Marmot CEO being paid too much. Time to protest.QUOTE]

Thanks Rasty! That's the best laugh I've had all day!

Ever castle needs a jester!

10-K
08-27-2012, 20:46

You could easily buy a Sawyer In-Line Water Filter (SILWF) for what one costs. What's worth more? Pure water (Sawyerized water no less) or sweating inside your waterproof rain jacket during a downpour? :)

mikec
08-27-2012, 20:50
I saw a frogg toggs rain suit at WalMart recently for around $40. They used to cost twice that much.

hikerboy57
08-27-2012, 20:55
You could easily buy a Sawyer In-Line Water Filter (SILWF) for what one costs. What's worth more? Pure water (Sawyerized water no less) or sweating inside your waterproof rain jacket during a downpour? :)
the micas lighter. forget water, im going for light!who needs water?
but the SILWF still intrigues me....................

10-K
08-27-2012, 21:28
the micas lighter. forget water, im going for light!who needs water?
but the SILWF still intrigues me....................

Water filtered by a Sawyer In-Line Water Filter (SILWF) weighs less because of all the impurities it removes. It's that good.

Most other filters don't remove enough crud to make the water weigh less.

But I digress.... Good, cheap, lightweight rainwear does not exist.

Dri Ducks will rip in a hot minute and you'll get soaked.

FarmerChef
08-27-2012, 21:59
But if I sweat in my poncho then filter the sweat with my Sawyer In-Line Water Filter do I weigh less? Couldn't resist.

I liked the pick any 3 10-k post. The wally world ponchos are cheap and light but definitely not durable.

chilln
08-27-2012, 22:14
Try the salvation army or some other type of second hand store. I found most of my hiking clothes there including an army goretex top and bottoms not the lightest but they were under $10 for the pair. I also have been eyeing those frogtogs at Walmart.

Mags
08-28-2012, 01:10
Water filtered by a Sawyer In-Line Water Filter (SILWF) weighs less because of all the impurities it removes. It's that good.

Most other filters don't remove enough crud to make the water weigh less.

But I digress.... Good, cheap, lightweight rainwear does not exist.

Dri Ducks will rip in a hot minute and you'll get soaked.

I would not want to use them for bush whacking or technical use, but for open cross country travel and trail hiking, I have been using the jacket this past season to good effect. YMMV

leaftye
08-28-2012, 02:17
Dri Ducks poncho or rain suit. Both are available at Walmart now. A poncho tarp and tyvek pants or rain skirt is more expensive, but more efficient.

swjohnsey
08-28-2012, 06:19
Like he said, pick two. Tried Driducks for the first month. Pack wore the waterproof membrane off. Went with Marmot Essence. It is holding up well. In fact, it, with Precip pants are my only cold weather gear since Damascus.

Kerosene
08-28-2012, 08:00
I'd definitely look at DriDucks for short section hikes where you don't anticipate much in the way of rain. Beyond that, I'd look at more serious options such as a Packa, e-Vent rain suit, or maybe the Marmot Super-Mica with pit-zips.

fredmugs
08-28-2012, 08:45
Fred you just recommended something that hasn't been in stock in over a year!

http://www.promoplace.com/ws/ws.dll/QPic?SN=67345&P=533472372&RS=300Well its about a little more than a $ and its gold a few ounces and you can get it in clear and it works - Its huge in the UL forum. take some concrete string and you can pitch this as a tarp. Got to know your knots and pebbles.

You did ask and I delivered.... for more info see the gallery.

I just bought one right before my June hike in Maine. GoLite has really slowed down their production and seem to be making things in lots.

Ender
08-28-2012, 08:51

Normally I'd agree, but my $1.50 Coghlans poncho fits all three criteria.

leaftye
08-28-2012, 13:27
I've used a Dri Ducks poncho for trail work before. I didn't get any rips. I was careful, and maybe I was lucky, but my experience tells me that this material is nowhere near as delicate as some people say it is.

10-K
08-28-2012, 14:00
I've used a Dri Ducks poncho for trail work before. I didn't get any rips. I was careful, and maybe I was lucky, but my experience tells me that this material is nowhere near as delicate as some people say it is.

I swear on all that's holy I have a plastic trashbag with at least 3 jackets and 4 pair of Dri Ducks pants I've bought over the past 4 years - all with rips, broken zippers, etc.

Maybe I'm just unlucky.