PDA

View Full Version : Camping on a bald mountain as a kid

clemsontiger09
08-27-2012, 14:28
As a kid I remember parking at a huge bald mountain in North Carolina and hiking to another smaller bald mountain and camping there for 2 nights. I have tried using google to find this place and the campsite at which I stayed at and with no luck. I was trying to organize another hike for January with some friends and was curious as to if anybody knew of the place that I am talking and if so could you enlighten me of where it is? If not than any other place that you can think of that is a bald mountain that you are able to camp on. Any help is appreciated! Have a great day!

Tennessee Viking
08-27-2012, 15:01
If the place you are referring is an open bald with nearby road access...then try these spots: Roan Mountain area with Round, Jane, and Grassy Ridge Balds, the Hump Mountains near Yellow Mountain Gap, Wayah Bald, Beauty Spot, Bald Mountain (has a private access road to the top), or Max Patch. Then the Cherohala SkyWay passes by numerous balds.

Gunslinger
08-27-2012, 15:08
There are several balds in that area, you are probably referring to Big Bald and Little Bald which are about 6.5 miles north of Sams Gap on the TN/NC line. It is between Hot Springs and Erwin on the trail. There is also an access road that goes almost to the top of Big Bald. If that is not where you are talking about then it could be Hump Mountain and Little Hump Mountain which are also two balds that are next to each other. They are just south of HWY 19E near the TN/NC Border.

clemsontiger09
08-27-2012, 15:13
Thank you very much for refreshing my memory. We parked at Max Patch, if that helps narrow it down any of where it might be?

Gunslinger
08-27-2012, 15:19
Max Patch is about 20 miles south of Hot Springs by trail.

Chaco Taco
08-27-2012, 18:20
You can park on top of Camp Creek Bald

clemsontiger09
08-27-2012, 21:03
If the place you are referring is an open bald with nearby road access...then try these spots: Roan Mountain area with Round, Jane, and Grassy Ridge Balds, the Hump Mountains near Yellow Mountain Gap, Wayah Bald, Beauty Spot, Bald Mountain (has a private access road to the top), or Max Patch. Then the Cherohala SkyWay passes by numerous balds.

the place that we stayed on top of did not have any access roads near by. If my memory serves me right there was a shelter "near" by. im looking at spending a week hiking on the AT and wouldnt mind spending the night out there for a night or two.

bwburgin1015
08-28-2012, 08:05
As a kid I remember parking at a huge bald mountain in North Carolina and hiking to another smaller bald mountain and camping there for 2 nights. I have tried using google to find this place and the campsite at which I stayed at and with no luck. I was trying to organize another hike for January with some friends and was curious as to if anybody knew of the place that I am talking and if so could you enlighten me of where it is? If not than any other place that you can think of that is a bald mountain that you are able to camp on. Any help is appreciated! Have a great day!

It's not on the Appalachian Trail...but you aren't talking about Stone Mountain in NC are you? It is a beautiful granite dome with camping all around.

10-K
08-28-2012, 08:34
You might have some jumbled up memory things going on too.. Many times I've had a recollection like you have and when I finally sorted it out I learn that some of the things I "remember" didn't apply.

Gray Blazer
08-29-2012, 07:44
He said they parked at Max Patch. There is a bald next to the parking lot at Max Patch. It's called Max Patch. You just walk up the bald part from the parking lot. You can camp on top. You can camp in the woods a little north down the side. Less than a days walk south is another bald, Snowbird. It has an aviation tower on top (It's a backup in case the sattelites fail). There is a fantastic view of the Eastern smokies from there as well as Max Patch. It's one of my favorite carcamping places. There is a very steep access road to the top. There is also a shelter between the two balds.

Tennessee Viking
08-29-2012, 08:31
the place that we stayed on top of did not have any access roads near by. If my memory serves me right there was a shelter "near" by. im looking at spending a week hiking on the AT and wouldnt mind spending the night out there for a night or two.
The only other balds I think of would be Big Butt/Coldspring Mtn area

clemsontiger09
08-30-2012, 21:08
eeeeeh, I have a week. I guess I can find them and regain some memory as I walk. Im to young to be losing my memory already.....SMH! Thanks for the help guys! Awesome site with alot of excellent information!!!!!

Papa D
08-30-2012, 21:16
He said they parked at Max Patch. There is a bald next to the parking lot at Max Patch. It's called Max Patch. You just walk up the bald part from the parking lot. You can camp on top. You can camp in the woods a little north down the side. Less than a days walk south is another bald, Snowbird. It has an aviation tower on top (It's a backup in case the sattelites fail). There is a fantastic view of the Eastern smokies from there as well as Max Patch. It's one of my favorite carcamping places. There is a very steep access road to the top. There is also a shelter between the two balds.

I'd bet this is correct - hikes that seemed very long as a kid are often pretty short when re-visited as an adult

clemsontiger09
08-30-2012, 21:21
found it, it is from Hot Springs to Rich Mountain. I was looking at some pictures that were posted and recognized lovers leap. http://www.flickr.com/photos/9067009@N03/4279713236/in/set-72157623097916095/

I found it on this site.
http://www.angelfire.com/trek/fungi/NC/Bald_Mountains/Bald_Mountains.html