PDA

View Full Version : Troop 132

SCLocke
08-27-2012, 16:26
Troop 132 made their first backpacking trip this past weekend. We drove up to South Mountain State Park Saturday morning, 11 scouts 3 ASM’s. The park offers 40 miles of trails, an 80’ waterfall and elevations up to 3,000’.
We off loaded the bus, geared up and set out . . . .

Short walk, then UP the mountain.
The first climb took a lot out of a few of the scouts and we had to stop often. Walking someone else’s pace is HARD! Funny thing though, every time we put the slowest scout up front, he out walked everyone else.
Took the High Shoals Falls trail to the top of the waterfall, dropped packs and walked the steps down to the base of the falls, (up to go down then back up). Back tracked a little to get to Upper Falls trail, hiked along Shinny Trail, to H.Q. trail and our campsite, around 6.5 miles.

This is where the boys have a blast. Setting up tents, hammocks, and tarps, dragging out bags and pads and FOOD, playing in the creek forgetting about the pain and discomfort of the last few hours.
After darkness arrived, it didn’t take long for the scouts to start disappearing into their tents and hammocks, and I wasn’t far behind them either.

The next morning I was up at daybreak. Someone somewhere suggested Starbucks instant coffee for the trail, THANK YOU! Pretty tasty stuff and after three cups, well I was ready to GO.
It was just over a mile to hike out to the bus, mostly flat or down hill. For some reason it was a quiet ride home. I did well with the exception of my hip joints feeling like they needed to be greased . . . .
As a troop we decided we’re not quite ready to do any long distance hikes. But the boys want to keep packing and camping, so we’ll keep working our way up to bigger and better trips.

Thanks, to everyone here who shares their knowledge with those of us who have soooo much to learn . . . .

bwburgin1015
08-27-2012, 17:15
It's a small world and this may sound somewhat strange in a stalker kind of way...but if you squint really hard at your last picture (number 7)...you'll see me and our party in the background. We shared a campsite with you that night! Myself and Blackbeard30...We were two of the ones with the kids and rattlesnake!

Toli
08-27-2012, 18:16
Troop 132 made their first backpacking trip this past weekend. We drove up to South Mountain State Park Saturday morning, 11 scouts 3 ASM’s. The park offers 40 miles of trails, an 80’ waterfall and elevations up to 3,000’.
We off loaded the bus, geared up and set out . . . .

Short walk, then UP the mountain.
The first climb took a lot out of a few of the scouts and we had to stop often. Walking someone else’s pace is HARD! Funny thing though, every time we put the slowest scout up front, he out walked everyone else.
Took the High Shoals Falls trail to the top of the waterfall, dropped packs and walked the steps down to the base of the falls, (up to go down then back up). Back tracked a little to get to Upper Falls trail, hiked along Shinny Trail, to H.Q. trail and our campsite, around 6.5 miles.

This is where the boys have a blast. Setting up tents, hammocks, and tarps, dragging out bags and pads and FOOD, playing in the creek forgetting about the pain and discomfort of the last few hours.
After darkness arrived, it didn’t take long for the scouts to start disappearing into their tents and hammocks, and I wasn’t far behind them either.

The next morning I was up at daybreak. Someone somewhere suggested Starbucks instant coffee for the trail, THANK YOU! Pretty tasty stuff and after three cups, well I was ready to GO.
It was just over a mile to hike out to the bus, mostly flat or down hill. For some reason it was a quiet ride home. I did well with the exception of my hip joints feeling like they needed to be greased . . . .
As a troop we decided we’re not quite ready to do any long distance hikes. But the boys want to keep packing and camping, so we’ll keep working our way up to bigger and better trips.

Thanks, to everyone here who shares their knowledge with those of us who have soooo much to learn . . . .
Awesome!!! BTW, Whats 3 ASM's??? Prepping for a hike myself this weekend for about 10 days :D...

canoehead
08-27-2012, 19:07
3 Assitant Scout Masters. (ASM)
Glad you folks had a great time, and thanks for volunteering your time to be with the troop. BSA is still the best family program out there.

Whack-a-mole
08-27-2012, 20:42
Sounds like you guys had a lot of fun. I learned a ton from Scouting, and it's where I got my back ground in back packing. I hope some of your boys will be getting that love also. Keep up the good work.

mikec
08-27-2012, 20:54
Sounds like they had a lot of fun. My first backpacking trip was in MD so it is a special state as far as the AT goes for me.

canoe
08-27-2012, 21:42
Nice trip. Thanks for sharing

SCLocke
08-27-2012, 22:37
It's a small world and this may sound somewhat strange in a stalker kind of way...but if you squint really hard at your last picture (number 7)...you'll see me and our party in the background. We shared a campsite with you that night! Myself and Blackbeard30...We were two of the ones with the kids and rattlesnake!

Man it is a small world. I hope we weren't tooo loud Saturday evening. I talked to one of you on the way out about backpacking on Rogers Mountain. I haven't had a chance to look up any info yet, but I will.

Good to know your here!

SCLocke
08-27-2012, 22:50
Thanks everyone for the encouragement, I think I have just as much fun as the boys do.

Train Wreck
08-28-2012, 02:52
Sounds like a great introduction to backpacking for the boys. Time to get started on planning their next trip! :)

bwburgin1015
08-28-2012, 06:01
Man it is a small world. I hope we weren't tooo loud Saturday evening. I talked to one of you on the way out about backpacking on Rogers Mountain. I haven't had a chance to look up any info yet, but I will.

Good to know your here![/QUOTE]

No you weren't too loud at all. I was a Boy Scout and I'm excited to see there are still some troops around here actually getting out. That was me you were talking to. For an easier trip maybe consider a one nighter from Grayson Highlands out to Thomas Knob and back the next day. Also maybe Stone Mountain (NC), Shining Rock Wilderness area...there are some easier trails in those parks...but generally speaking the highlands are pretty rolling without too many intense hills. I'll pm you with the link to that website.

Rocket Jones
08-28-2012, 06:46
Great photos, thanks for sharing! My brother and I were lucky enough to be in a Scout troop that did a lot of hiking and camping. We later moved and joined a troop where they did no camping at all. That wasn't nearly as much fun.

Something I noticed from the photos... the boys who laid out the blue tarp as a ground cloth and front porch? If it rains, the water on the tarp will funnel right under the tent. Keep the ground cloth smaller than the footprint of the tent.

SCLocke
08-28-2012, 08:43
Something I noticed from the photos... the boys who laid out the blue tarp as a ground cloth and front porch? If it rains, the water on the tarp will funnel right under the tent. Keep the ground cloth smaller than the footprint of the tent.

You are correct. That's something that has been taught and talked about since he pitched his first tent. It was a clear night, one scout didn't even use his rain fly . . . . Funny thing, two years ago at Beach Sweep it was our Scoutmaster whose tent got flooded during a rain storm, "same reason".

chiefduffy
08-29-2012, 05:52
Thanks for the wonderful trip report. It brought on a little nostalgia from my scouting days...40 years ago!

ATMountainTime
08-29-2012, 09:29
Awesome for Troop 132, with your permission i would like to show these to my troop! We're gearing up for a GSNP back packing trip in the spring...im not sure who's more excited, me or the boys...unfortunatly I have to drive.

SCLocke
08-29-2012, 22:54
Awesome for Troop 132, with your permission i would like to show these to my troop! We're gearing up for a GSNP back packing trip in the spring...im not sure who's more excited, me or the boys...unfortunatly I have to drive.

Please do . We have two more trip dates planned, one the weekend of Sept 24 and one in Nov.

And like you I'm EXCITED !