PDA

View Full Version : let the history and neet facts begin:

MedicineMan
12-25-2002, 08:18
1. There are 250 mountains to be climbed from Georgia to Maine.
2. The total elevation gain is 471,151 feet, an average of 3,000 feet every day. That's like climbing Mount Everest 16 times in a row from sea level.

3. A 2002 thru-hiker, Gary Monk, counted the white blazes <../hike/hike_info/markings.html> of the Appalachian Trail as he walked from home in Georgia to Katahdin, counting double blazes as two. The final count from his "five million steps" was 82,366 blazes, with 68.7 percent of them along the 53.7 percent of the Trail north of ATC offices in Harpers Ferry, W.Va.

borrowed from the PATC forum

poison_ivy
01-01-2003, 20:12
I don't know if this idea died or not... but I got an ATC calendar for Christmas. I opened it up today and found it has some dates noted. Here they are:

Jan. 25, 1984 -- U.S. Government delegates management of new AT lands to ATC

March 3, 1925 -- ATC founded in Washington, D.C.
March 21, 1978 -- Congress orders speed-up in protection of AT from development

June 7, 1958 -- Southern end of AT is moved to Springer Mt from Mt. Oglethorpe. (Also National Trails Day)

Aug. 5, 1948 -- Earl Shaffer completes first solo one-season hike of the AT
Aug. 14, 1937 -- AT is completed from Maine to Georgia

Oct. 1, 1921 Benton MacKay's call for building the AT is published in the Journal of the American Institute of Architects
Oct. 2, 1968 -- National Trails System Act makes the AT the first National Scenic Trail, affording protection from incompatible development.

That's everything in the calendar :)

-- Ivy

MedicineMan
01-01-2003, 21:34
and keep 'em coming!

Wander Yonder
01-01-2003, 23:02
1. There are 250 mountains to be climbed from Georgia to Maine. 2. The total elevation gain is 471,151 feet, an average of 3,000 feet every day. That's like climbing Mount Everest 16 times in a row from sea level.

I sent this to my family for the sole reason of impressing them with my upcoming superwoman exploits! :D :D :D

Youngblood
12-19-2003, 15:41
Does anyone know what former Native American Lands the AT crosses? I'm looking at a map and it looks like it might be the following (listed northbound):

Cherokee / Creek
Catawba
Tutelo
Manahoac
Susquahanna
Oneida
Mohawk
Delaware (Leni Lenape)
Mohican
Pequot
Massachuset
Machican
Pennacook
Abenaki
Malecite

MedicineMan
12-20-2003, 00:10
but a scary one,,,,while in New Zealand this past Sept we were made aware of the Maori's pursuit of the 'foreshore', I had to ask what the foreshore was and was told that it was all the beaches that surround the entire country...in some places money is paid to to Maori where a trail crosses 'their' land, and special signs are erected on the trails where the trails cross into what it theirs...not that the Cherokee would suddenly begin charging hikers or anything.....

bearbag hanger
12-20-2003, 08:41
but a scary one,,,,while in New Zealand this past Sept we were made aware of the Maori's pursuit of the 'foreshore', I had to ask what the foreshore was and was told that it was all the beaches that surround the entire country...in some places money is paid to to Maori where a trail crosses 'their' land, and special signs are erected on the trails where the trails cross into what it theirs...not that the Cherokee would suddenly begin charging hikers or anything.....
The Lord willing and the Creek don't rise! Hope I've got the spelling right, pretty sure the Cree were a different group. Any Cherokee lands the AT crosses could be disputed Creek land as well, so I've been told.

hacksaw
12-20-2003, 10:45
The Lord willing and the Creek don't rise! Hope I've got the spelling right, pretty sure the Cree were a different group. Any Cherokee lands the AT crosses could be disputed Creek land as well, so I've been told.
That is correct. The Creeks and Cherokees had disputed all the lands in Georgia, at least, for several generations before the savage battles that gave Blood Mountain and Slaughter Gap their names were fought and the Creeks were banishe from the area. This from my sisterr who authored the book that chronicles the history of this area from the time of those battles up through 1970. "Wolfscratch Wilderness" is the title of the book, available from the author if anyoneis interested.

Hacksaw

Youngblood
12-20-2003, 12:54
That is correct. The Creeks and Cherokees had disputed all the lands in Georgia, at least, for several generations before the savage battles that gave Blood Mountain and Slaughter Gap their names were fought and the Creeks were banishe from the area. This from my sisterr who authored the book that chronicles the history of this area from the time of those battles up through 1970. "Wolfscratch Wilderness" is the title of the book, available from the author if anyoneis interested.

Hacksaw

Your right Hacksaw (and Bearbag hanger), how about if I just edit the above list? Hope that doesn't confuse everyone... thinking it would be neet to have a listing similar to the list of states.

Youngblood

greyowl
12-22-2003, 11:58
The Cree are Canadian (Northern Quebec and Ontario). You have forgotten about the Leni Lenape (The White men called them the Delaware).

Grey Owl

MadAussieInLondon
12-22-2003, 13:17
while in New Zealand this past Sept we were made aware of the Maori's pursuit of the 'foreshore', I had to ask what the foreshore was and was told that it was all the beaches that surround the entire country

the maori also own the ocean/fisheries around new zealand as well as the foreshore.

Youngblood
12-22-2003, 14:45
The Cree are Canadian (Northern Quebec and Ontario). You have forgotten about the Leni Lenape (The White men called them the Delaware).

Grey Owl

Thanks, I'll edit the list and add them. BTW, the map/poster I am using is this:

http://tinyurl.com/2r4bk

Sorry that it is too small to read on that picture. I thought some folks might be interested. It is a little difficult to figure out boundarys and where the AT actually goes, so I will need all the help I can get.

Youngblood

Jack Tarlin
12-22-2003, 16:53
This is an interesting thread......especialy the bits about the Maori. My best friend on the Trail in 2000, a New Zealander, told me a great deal about them, including the facts that they AREN'T, in fact, the original inhabitants of New Zealand. Evidently, a great deal of archaeological and anthropological evidence now exists that indicates that the Maori were much later arrivals who instead of being the original inhabitants of the area, instead were merely the folks who, upon arrival, ate and replaced the original inhabitants. Many generations later, they receive a great many benefits, subsidies, and entitlement payments as befits the "Founding Fathers" of New Zealand, and all sorts of layabouts in N.Z., most of them whiter than me, expend a great deal of time and energy trying to prove or establish their Maori ancestry in order to enjoy the guilt-ridden government largesse that has resulted rom this erroneous belief in paying back the "native" inhabitants.

Isn't politically correct revisionist history swell? And isn't it great we have so little of it here?

laurenpav12
12-22-2003, 17:09
Hey thanks for posting that about the number of blazes on the Trail. I've wondered if anyone knew that number for quite some time but never asked for fear of looking like some kind of neurotic! I can't believe that guy counted all the blazes...that is crazy!

Rain Man
12-22-2003, 18:16
This is an interesting thread......especialy the bits about the Maori. ... they AREN'T, in fact, the original inhabitants of New Zealand.

Jeff Diamond's history of humankind, "Guns, Germs, and Stell" discusses New Zealand and the Maori in some detail. You are correct, but then, NOBODY is the original inhabitants of anywhere, more or less.

Rain Man