PDA

View Full Version : Hey Thru-Hikers...What Pack Did You Use?

ParkRat09
08-27-2012, 21:58
I work at a gear store in TN so I know a lot about packs, but I am curious to see which ones people used for their thru-hikes. I will be going sobo next year and am starting to get ready now.

kayak karl
08-27-2012, 22:01
go-lite pinnacle

Mfrenchy
08-27-2012, 22:36
Osprey Exos 46, Love love loved it

rjhouser
08-27-2012, 22:42
Mountain Laurel Designs Exodus. I met many other hikers who were envious of it during my thru. It truly is a lightweight pack that's perfect for thru hikers. Minimal, awesome design, durable, comfortable. Frameless though, so only for those with light base weights. I never carried over 20 lbs in it including consumables but it could probably handle 25 comfortably.

ParkRat09
08-27-2012, 23:39
Osprey Exos 46, Love love loved it

You really loved it? Did you use it the whole time? I sell those at my store but can't say I'm a huge fan

Different Socks
08-27-2012, 23:58
Camp Trails External Omega--still have it.

garlic08
08-28-2012, 00:01
Gossamer Gear G-5, now discontinued.

Rasty
08-28-2012, 00:04
Camp Trails External Omega--still have it.

Had the same pack in camo when I was younger. Comfortable and cool on the back.

fireneck
08-28-2012, 00:15
I thru-hiked this year. During my hike I first an Osprey Atmos 65 (http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/group/mens/atmos_series_1) (GA-HF), then ULA Cataylst (http://www.ula-equipment.com/catalyst.asp) (HF- Wind Gap, PA), and finally a ULA Circuit (http://www.ula-equipment.com/circuit.asp) (WG, PA Katahdin).

The Atmos had waaayyy too much volume for me after just a month of hiking, then as I lost weight the hip belt could no longer be tightened. So I returned it to REI. The Cataylst was great but I quickly realized it also had too much volume, so Chris was kind enough to "trade it" for a Circuit. Hell, my Circuit is almost too big these days, since I will be switching from a traditional sleeping bag to a quilt!

:bananaULA is where it's at!

Lando11
08-28-2012, 01:09
osprey exos 34. you either love or hate the suspension, and i loved it. but it is also a pack that isnt made for 30+lbs. how you could throw 30 lbs into a 34L pack is a mystery to me tho...

Maddog
08-28-2012, 03:30
ULA CDT...my favorite pack ever! Maddog:)

swjohnsey
08-28-2012, 06:09
ULA Ohm 2.0.

Don H
08-28-2012, 08:31
Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone. Weighs 3 pounds, has 3,000+ miles and still going strong!

ParkRat09
08-28-2012, 19:44
I thru-hiked this year. During my hike I first an Osprey Atmos 65 (http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/group/mens/atmos_series_1) (GA-HF), then ULA Cataylst (http://www.ula-equipment.com/catalyst.asp) (HF- Wind Gap, PA), and finally a ULA Circuit (http://www.ula-equipment.com/circuit.asp) (WG, PA Katahdin).

The Atmos had waaayyy too much volume for me after just a month of hiking, then as I lost weight the hip belt could no longer be tightened. So I returned it to REI. The Cataylst was great but I quickly realized it also had too much volume, so Chris was kind enough to "trade it" for a Circuit. Hell, my Circuit is almost too big these days, since I will be switching from a traditional sleeping bag to a quilt!

:bananaULA is where it's at!

I've been backpacking with my ULA Circuit for about a year now and I do love it. Just didn't know if it was an appropriate thru pack

Lone Wolf
08-28-2012, 19:48
I work at a gear store in TN so I know a lot about packs, but I am curious to see which ones people used for their thru-hikes. I will be going sobo next year and am starting to get ready now.

4 thru hikes with a Jansport D-2

IrishBASTARD
08-28-2012, 21:03
OSPREY EXOS 58 L (JUNGLE GREEN) it was the worst pack...their customer service to quality of said product. HAD used five total packs for my hike...everyone who had the same had similar issues.

ParkRat09
08-28-2012, 23:11
OSPREY EXOS 58 L (JUNGLE GREEN) it was the worst pack...their customer service to quality of said product. HAD used five total packs for my hike...everyone who had the same had similar issues.

Yea I've heard not good things from most people who've used an Exos on the trail

Lando11
08-28-2012, 23:17

Yea I've heard not good things from most people who've used an Exos on the trail
I love my exos. Still my go to pack for any trip.
Also, there customer service was great. The old girl needed some repair after 1500AT miles last year and sent it to osprey and they repaired for free

IrishBASTARD
08-29-2012, 01:52
Also, there customer service was great. The old girl needed some repair after 1500AT miles last year and sent it to osprey and they repaired for free LANDO this is 2012 NOT 2011. Companies CHANGE and tweak products season to SEASON let ALONE year to YEAR. Not saying your EXOS was bad saying EVERYONE I asked and spoke to...said theirs was. Where else your customer service may have been "great" it was FOR ZERO people I asked. It was free because it is under warrenty. WILL BE BUYING AMERICAN MADE NEXT YEAR...for any and all HIKES. Rather buy American because thats what I am an American Hiker...proud of our Beautiful land and its walking trails.

Chaco Taco
08-29-2012, 06:57
Golite Pinnacle. But went through 2 of them. The straps wear down really fast when they get wet and I got wet alot in GA/NC in 08. I reenforced the fabric and straps with dental floss. Got a new one in NY. With that said, I still actually have it and use it for day hikes.

I have been though about 6 packs, from ULA, Golite and Granite Gear. Never tried osprey because they just never fit me because of my in the middle torso. The ULA packs seem to be getting to be the norm for lightweight backpacking these days. I carry a vapor trail and am ready to get a ULA myself.

Ender
08-29-2012, 09:38
AT 1998: Gregory Shasta... give or take around 5lbs.
PCT 2003: LuxuryLite... around 2 lbs.

Now: Osprey Atmos 50. Around 3 lbs.

Whitewater2012
08-29-2012, 09:50
Osprey Exos 58....Great Pack!!

Old Hiker
08-29-2012, 10:18
2010 model JanSport Klamath 75 - right at 4 pounds. Only did 500 miles and overpacked it every day of the hike: 45-55 pounds average. Some side seams were popping,but I re-sewed them with dental floss. My fault.

Lots of room, side pockets, front compartment, top lid compartment, separate sleeping bag compartment. Top and bottom entry. The straps and hipbelt covering began to come apart at the seams after about 200 miles or so, but were still functional. I'm going to send it back for repairs fairly soon, after I get 90% of the stink out.

Rode well, handled the weight well, felt comfortable. Haven't tried anything else but the larger JanSport packs. I'm 6'2", long torso. My last one was an Alaska Tall: 7 pounds, 8 ounces for the pack alone. I overpack still, so I need a more robust pack. I'm trying to cut down, so I may be able to use a pack that only takes 40 pounds or so. I have 4 years to get my gear weight down.

Malto
08-29-2012, 10:49
MLD Burn but it will be too small for 99% of thru hikers.

BrianLe
08-29-2012, 11:13
Mariposa Plus for PCT and first ~half of the AT. Bought a ULA circuit and switched to that to finish the AT, used that on the CDT and am still using it.

BFI
08-29-2012, 14:03
Gregory Baltaro 65Ltr. Heavier than some but the suspension is worth it, no problems with zippers or stitching

Whitewater2012
08-29-2012, 16:09
Here’s my classy private message from the IrishBASTARD today completely out of the blue. Just WOW...I really want my advice from him!! I just answered the question here about what pack I used on my thru hike...which was an Osprey exos 58 and I LIKED IT! I guess this Irish(truley must be) did'nt agree with what I said??

WHITEWATER2012 GA>ME

Title: moron
White water,

Grow the **** up jackass...next time have actual knowledge about a PRODUCT you smuck.

wtmntcaretaker
08-29-2012, 16:21
for the AT I used Osprey Ariel 50 and for PCT I used Granite Gear Vapor Trail

Maddog
08-29-2012, 16:24
Here’s my classy private message from the IrishBASTARD today completely out of the blue. Just WOW...I really want my advice from him!! I just answered the question here about what pack I used on my thru hike...which was an Osprey exos 58 and I LIKED IT! I guess this Irish(truley must be) did'nt agree with what I said??

WHITEWATER2012 GA>ME

Title: moron
White water,

Grow the **** up jackass...next time have actual knowledge about a PRODUCT you smuck.

How much BS do we have to put up with before IB gets banned? Just sayin'! Maddog:rolleyes:

ParkRat09
08-29-2012, 20:25
I really like my ULA but I feel like it doesn't transfer enough of the weight to my hips and I REALLY do not want to thru-hike with a frameless pack like some from Go-Lite and Gossomer Gear. I may end up just taking the ULA especially because I do the ultra-light thing as best I can. The Boltoro is awesome just wish it wasn't 5.5 pounds!!!

Different Socks
08-30-2012, 00:20
Had the same pack in camo when I was younger. Comfortable and cool on the back.

Though I used an external on the PCT, I went back to using the Omega for the ice Age Trail, the CDT, the Ouachita Trail, the Long Trail, and many other hikes. Won't use it now b/c it's 7 pounds empty and will switch to a different lighter external or maybe(really maybe) an internal with some outside pockets.

fireneck
09-05-2012, 00:26
I've been backpacking with my ULA Circuit for about a year now and I do love it. Just didn't know if it was an appropriate thru pack

I would say it is just about the perfect light weight pack for a thru. The roll top gives you a lot of extra room for packing out luxury food items from town, or ridiculous items up Katahdin, without adding much weight. ULA will also help fix any packs for free! Stand up company with great customer service.

SpiderDog
09-05-2012, 00:37
Modified go-lite jam.

colorado_rob
09-05-2012, 19:55
Osprey Exos 58....Great Pack!! Yep, my go-to pack for long trips as well (except mine is the 46L). What's with the above animosity towards Osprey? Nice Colorado company, been around for 35 years. Terrific customer service the two times i've used them (both hip-belt issues). They have a totally no-fault free replacement guarantee.

ParkRat09
09-05-2012, 20:19
Modified go-lite jam.

Modified how?

Lando11
09-05-2012, 21:03
Also, there customer service was great. The old girl needed some repair after 1500AT miles last year and sent it to osprey and they repaired for free LANDO this is 2012 NOT 2011. Companies CHANGE and tweak products season to SEASON let ALONE year to YEAR. Not saying your EXOS was bad saying EVERYONE I asked and spoke to...said theirs was. Where else your customer service may have been "great" it was FOR ZERO people I asked. It was free because it is under warrenty. WILL BE BUYING AMERICAN MADE NEXT YEAR...for any and all HIKES. Rather buy American because thats what I am an American Hiker...proud of our Beautiful land and its walking trails.

Wow!
Thank you for your kind response IB. I just filled up my Japanese car with my (awful) asain made products and drove it off a cliff! No more crappy for me!!
You are my hero, and I thank you

max patch
09-05-2012, 21:12
When you get down to it does it really matter what you use?

I used a POS Camptrails external. The hip belt stitching failed so I learned how to sew with dental floss. The frame broke so I jerry rigged it until a new frame was sent to me by Camptrails. The hip belt plastic buckle broke, so I carried all 45 pounds on my back for a day with no weight transferred to my hips until a fellow thru hiker just happened to have the same buckle as a spare which he gave me. (Editorial comment - thats trail magic not "feeds").

So if I made it with that pack I think just about anything will work.

Donde
09-06-2012, 01:40
REI Flash 65

hikerbee
09-06-2012, 14:12

I must say, the ULA (circuit especially) seemed one of the most popular packs if not the most popular this year. Of course lots of Ospreys, etc, but ULA Circuit seemed to be where it's at. I'm biased because my boyfriend and I both had one. They both fit well and made it through 5 months with some minor damage. They will be with us for years to come.

hikerbee
09-06-2012, 14:14
REI Flash 65

Donde, how did your REI Flash hold up? The employees at REI seemed to discount it because they claimed it would probably fall apart sooner than some of the other packs, but I wasn't sure. How do you like it?

malowitz
09-06-2012, 14:31
2010 thru with Gregory Z55

Drybones
09-06-2012, 15:56
Granite Gear Crown 60

Giantsbane
09-06-2012, 16:23
A slightly older Osprey Atmos 50. It's not super light with it's internal frame, but it contours to my back so well. I've carried 40 pounds in it comfortably.

RED-DOG
09-06-2012, 18:03
Bro i did three Thru-hikes my first in 96 and i used a Kelty External fram, and my second was in 06 i used a Kelty internal 4600, and my third was this year and i had Montain Hardwear Dissimer 4600 and by far the Montain Hardwear has been the absolute best pack i have ever owned. RED-DOG ( Flip-Flop 96 & GA-ME 06 & GA-ME 2012 )

ParkRat09
09-06-2012, 19:39
Bro i did three Thru-hikes my first in 96 and i used a Kelty External fram, and my second was in 06 i used a Kelty internal 4600, and my third was this year and i had Montain Hardwear Dissimer 4600 and by far the Montain Hardwear has been the absolute best pack i have ever owned. RED-DOG ( Flip-Flop 96 & GA-ME 06 & GA-ME 2012 )

I can't find any info about the MHW pack...do u happen to have a good link to take a look at it?

rusty bumper
09-07-2012, 08:09
Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus....it weighs 22 ounces and comfortably handled up to 30 lbs.

Mfrenchy
09-07-2012, 10:33
I used the Exos 46 the entire hike. It was light when empty, and had enough room for all my stuff plus some left over. I liked the frame and have no real complaints about it except now it smells terrible, but I think that might be my fault. I heard people with complaints on the trail, but it seemed mostly to be from people who wanted a free new pack and weren't getting it. So you have to take it for what it is worth.

All that being said, I think I would go even lighter next time. You learn what is important and what is not while you are out there and being light makes a very difference.

on_the_GOEZ
09-07-2012, 11:58
ULA CDT...my favorite pack ever! Maddog:)

+1 on the CDT. Fantastic pack and even better company. Cant say enough good! Lasted my entire SOBO and has many more miles to go

Colter
09-07-2012, 20:09
+1 on the CDT. Fantastic pack and even better company. Cant say enough good! Lasted my entire SOBO and has many more miles to go

I third it. Best pack I've used for thru-hiking. Good material selection, good design, good sewing.

Golite has also been good to me, but the Pinnacle tends to slump for many people, including me, at least partially because it tends to be a little big for most light loads.

I used a G4 on the AT and that was a good pack.

Pack selection is always subjective though. Even great packs fit individuals differently.

thecyclops
09-08-2012, 14:49
My 1st post back since being moderated and perpetrated!!!! Thanks to alligator for fixing my status!!!! :)
That being said,I used (Guess Im a section hiker) a Lowe Alpine 75+20 (95 liters...I can carry a small child) that rides like a Cadillac and is almost as big!
http://s19.postimage.org/xmopg3uo3/liberty_lowe_alpine.gif

bear bag hanger
09-09-2012, 07:47
http://www.aarnusa.com/pack_peakaspiration_11.htm with the
expedition balance pockets. I've learned from experience this type of pack saves my back.

Ricky&Jack
05-13-2014, 13:24
I work at a gear store in TN so I know a lot about packs,.

Do you work at SPORTSMANS WAREHOUSE in Chattanooga?

I live in dalton and went there last week for the very first time to by my TETON OUTFITTER 4600 pack. and a back for my Husky, jack.

Nooga
05-13-2014, 15:51
Used three: Golite Breeze - Springer to Pearisburg; Zpacks - Pearisburg to Harpers Ferry; ULA Catalyst - Harpers Ferry to Katahdin
I use an Osprey Exos 58 now.

Namtrag
05-13-2014, 17:26
My friend Matt used an Osprey Talon 44 for his through...he liked it so much that I bought one last fall to replace my Osprey Volt 60. The Talon has much more room...figure that one out. It's not the lightest, but it's pretty light at 2lbs 6 oz. The M/L torso came with it's adjustment all the way low, and I didn't have to move it one cm to make it fit. It's perfect for me at least.

LDog
05-13-2014, 18:21
Wish I could just delete this post ...

Sasquatch2185
05-21-2014, 00:40
North Face Prophet 40

bamboo bob
05-21-2014, 06:50
I now use Mountain Laurel Designs Exodus , previously Go-lite Trek and way before that Arcteryx Bora

shakey_snake
05-21-2014, 13:04
MLD Burn but it will be too small for 99% of thru hikers.

Do you have a pack list handy? I'm considering getting a Burn but am concerned about having enough room for food for 5-6 day stretches.

abrilnicol
05-21-2014, 22:32
ULA Circuit ...looove it:)

TrippLite
05-22-2014, 01:18
I now use Mountain Laurel Designs Exodus

I've had my eye on this pack amongst several other lightweight quality packs for awhile now, hoping to catch it on sale at a bargain price that I can't refuse letting my plastic come out and play....

rafe
05-22-2014, 07:38
2K miler here, not a thru. Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone is my go-to pack these days, it has ~800 AT/LT miles. GG Vapor Trail for shorter hikes (total contents 20-25 lbs. or less.)

It took me a long time to ditch my Camp Trails external frame pack. Last used for a 140 mile section in 2006. I went through several internal frame packs (never liked any of 'em) before latching on to these two.

ChuckT
05-22-2014, 11:34
I'm liking the look of the Nimbus 70. Too much volume really (though it looks like the cinch cords help there) but I like the idea of the 2 full length front zippers. Don't have to pull everything out to get to the bottom of the main bag.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk.

Wolf - 23000
05-22-2014, 13:42
I was using a kids book bag when I did the AT & PCT back in the 1989 - 1998. The cost was about $10 - $20. With a little enforcement of the shoulder straps, my packs would normal at least one thru-hike.

A kids book bag was a way you could hike the AT, PCT, LT, COT ultra-light (baseweight under 5 pounds).

Wolf

Starvin Marvin
05-22-2014, 14:34
I've had my eye on this pack amongst several other lightweight quality packs for awhile now, hoping to catch it on sale at a bargain price that I can't refuse letting my plastic come out and play....

Hey Tripplite,

just to let you know, there is an Exodus available in the -selling used gear- section, right here on WB.