PDA

View Full Version : A Cool Colin Fletcher Link

Tipi Walter
08-28-2012, 09:51
Check it out---

http://www.colinfletcher.com/Colin_Fletcher/Memorabilia_files/FieldStream_Mar60.pdf

Ewker
08-28-2012, 10:01
thanks Tipi. I bookmarked it to read this evening

Tipi Walter
08-28-2012, 10:16
I especially like his gear layout pics.

WingedMonkey
08-28-2012, 10:23
I especially like his gear layout pics.

I have his 1969 The Complete Walker, the only photograph is the one of of his gear on the dust cover, everything else was sketches.
It is cool to see the photos in the magazine and the way they are labeled, and his reasoning for each item.

Train Wreck
08-28-2012, 10:25
I want me some of those home-made asbestos insoles! In addition to providing great thermal protection as I speed-hike the trail (NOT), they'd do double duty as a pot holder :D
Seriously, though, great article - thanks for sharing it. It's pretty cool to think about how much our definition of high-tech gear has changed over the last 50 years.

forrest!
08-28-2012, 10:42
That brings back memories. I read the book that he published about that trip decades ago: "The Thousand Mile Summer" - I see it's still available used. I think I have read everything he ever wrote about hiking. Te grand canyon trip book, the man from the cave, and of course, his Complete Walker.

Good reading, but outdated.

Another interesting read is the Horace Kephart camping book.

Mags
08-28-2012, 11:08
Thanks for sharing. I love how the equipment may change but the joy in spending time outside never changes.