PDA

View Full Version : so how's the weather in Maine?

augie
05-03-2005, 10:36
Just want to know how the Maine spring is progressing? Are things thawing out, are the rivers and streams swelling, have the blackflies awakened? Starting south in less than a month and just need some info from you Mainers.
Thanks,
Augie

poison_ivy
05-03-2005, 11:19
I hiked the AT in Maine just north of Baldpate on Sunday. The snowline was at about 2,500 feet and the Ellis River was running pretty high -- crossing was challenging for me, as I'm short-legged, but we made it without too much difficulty. Between 2,500 to 2,800 feet there was about a foot and a half to two feet of rotten snow and lots of postholes to trip over. No blackflies yet, but I'm sure they're coming.

That said, you still have a month and conditions will probably be very different by then.

- Ivy

walkin' wally
05-03-2005, 12:04
I was near the AT above Monson on Rt 15 and there are a few mosquitos. The streams are running high right now because we have had a lot of rain. We are still getting heavy frost at times too. The ice has not left Spectacle Pond above Monson as of Saturday the 30th of April. We had a little snow up north in the afternoon one day last week and some accumulation on the ground the next morning. I would not trust the back roads that are not paved just yet as the frost is a little late coming out of the ground. Just my opinion. It is still mud season up north. I am waiting to get up to Rainbow Lake to clear blowdowns on the AT but I don't want to mire my truck.

Been there done that... twice :datz

Like poison Ivy says you don't have to go that far to find snow and high water.

Check back in a few weeks, things can change fast.

augie
05-03-2005, 13:25
thanks for the info.

TJ aka Teej
05-03-2005, 19:49
A few days ago there was heavy flooding around Millinocket. Snow is expected tonight. Ah... springtime in Maine!

WalkinHome
05-05-2005, 17:10
Was up Monson clearing blowdowns last Sunday, the last 1.4 miles (NOBO) before you hit the wilderness. Doughty Pond still had ice on it (edges free though) and patchy snow. Wet wet wet. Rivers and streams will be high for a bit. Use caution. Be safe.