PDA

View Full Version : Caldera ti-tri or emberlite mini?

grateful 2
08-28-2012, 22:05
I need some advice. I am trying to determine which is better for a wood fire - the caldera ti-tri or the emberlite mini? I know the caldera is more versatile - alcohol, esbit, and wood. (I own two calderas with infernos, but no emberlite.) They weigh about the same. Which one, however, is the best with wood? Which one burns hotter? Does the emberlite mini reduce the coals to ash (about nothing) as well as the caldera? Is it as easy to start as the caldera? Is it easier to feed sticks? Will it boil as quickly? Does it smoke as much, or more? How well does it draw? Would a strong wind affect it more? Could I use it as an effective windscreen with an alcohol stove (maybe packafeather) in a pinch?

What do you think? I am looking for something flatter to carry in my pack.

Durtydan
08-29-2012, 00:04
just got the emberlit el mini and love it do far. got a companion stove from woodgaz that weighs an ounce, holds 3 ounces of alcohol, and has a clever no spill feature. make sure to keep it in a Tupperware or ziplock so the alcohol doesn't evaporate but it is a solid set up for wood or alcohol.

el mini has been easy to start, feed, and breaks down wood to nothing. if you punch a quick hole in the bag it comes in, you can hook it to the outside of your pack and keep smoke smell out of your other gear...just a good add on perk.

QiWiz
08-29-2012, 16:21
IMO, if you are using wood as a backup to alcohol, go with the Ti-Tri. If you are using alcohol or Esbit as a backup to wood, get a stove that is designed for wood burning but has the ability to burn alcohol or Esbit. The Emberlit and a number of other excellent wood stoves can be set up to do this. If you want to get a really light woodburner and you don't mind waiting till I'm back from the trail on 9/16, you might want to take a look at my FireFly.

HikerMom58
08-29-2012, 18:18
Hey- rather go up. Good to see your plans are still in place!! :) I will still check on the parking for you at the Super 8. I'm sure they won't mind. I'll still double check for you though.