PDA

View Full Version : Who's done a yoyo of the LT?

hypnolobster
08-29-2012, 06:10
I'm getting closer to my intended start date, and money is unfortunately getting very tight to be able to afford the trail (transportation to and from is the worst part).
If I can't manage the trail this year, my preliminary plan is to reattempt next year with a better budget and try and spend much more time on-trail.

I was thinking of driving solo into Williamstown, finding a local business owner who doesn't mind a car in their lot with payment of a case of beer or two, then just doing a nobo and back yoyo of the trail. Brings my cost way down on transportation and I get a lot more time on trail enjoying myself.
I was figuring on planning about 25 days for the nobo trip and 18 for the return. The next-year start date would probably be sometime in the first week of september, as I'd like to try and chase the fall colors south on the return sobo trip and I much prefer the cold.

My cold 3 season list is lightweight, about 8lb baseweight all told with maps, etc.
http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=9256

Who's done the LT yoyo? Any tips?
Thanks!

10-K
08-29-2012, 07:21
I have not done a yoyo but I did just complete a sobo e2e hike and had the same idea as you when I was hiking.

The LT is short enough to hike that way I think and resupply options are frequent enough to make that a non-issue.

So.... if you have more time than money or just want to be on the trail for a month it's a great idea. I also like the idea of starting in Williamstown because the tough part would be sandwiched in the middle of the hike instead of being on either end.

lemon b
08-29-2012, 07:28
Did one in 85. Might want a down layer. Have fun.

angewrite
08-30-2012, 16:34
Look for Caveman of Ohio's posts on here. He's starting soon and from OH too. Maybe you can coordinate to save cash.

Moose2001
08-30-2012, 16:53
Did one in 85. Might want a down layer. Have fun.

I'd agree you should take either a down or fleece layer. Sept in VT can be cold, especially up on those mountain ridgelines.

hypnolobster
08-31-2012, 19:27
I'd agree you should take either a down or fleece layer. Sept in VT can be cold, especially up on those mountain ridgelines.

My current layers are baselayer capilene 2> patagonia sun hoody> arcteryx Atom LT hooded jacket and then a windshell

I'm considering removing the arcteryx jacket and getting a montbell ex light down jacket instead. I'd think that a light-mid baselayer + ex light + windshell should be very warm while active.

I could drop the patagonia sun hoody as well, but it's just really really comfortable.

Wolf - 23000
09-01-2012, 12:10
I've yo-yo the LT twice. Once while thru-hiking the AT and the second time was by it self not including a small side trip to Hanover, NH. I traveled with a lighter backpack (15 pounds including 5 days of food and water). Past the AT the towns seem to be some distance away from the trail - would keep that in mind when your planning where you are going to resupply. I resupplied right by the AT/LT juntion and again in Jonetown). Completing the trail both ways in just under 3 weeks.

When it comes to getting the trail - I would suggest taking a bus. With todays gas prices driving up from OH does make to much sense. What you spend on gas is about the same as a bus ticket plus you don't have to worry about your car.

Wolf