PDA

View Full Version : Questions for those who hike with dog(s)

Longfan
08-29-2012, 12:48
First IF YOU DO NOT THINK DOGS SHOULD HIKE; PLEASE HIT THE BACK KEY ON YOUR BROWSER!

Two questions; How far do you hike on average each day? I know the dog dictates but . . .

At what speed/how fast do you cover the trail? AGAIN: I know the dog dictates but . . .

Thanks

louisb
08-29-2012, 13:00
I asked my dog trainer about this since i have just started hiking with my 8 month old puppy. She cautioned me about hiking to far since he is still under a year old and it could damage his joints since they are still forming. So far the longest we have done is about 3 miles but I plan to slowly boost that over the next year.

As for speed I usually average a little under 3 mph with the dog. (Normal hiking speed is 3.5 mph) My dog is 80 lbs so it may vary for you if you have a smaller dog. (When I walk our dachshund I have to go much slower lol)

--louis

Sarcasm the elf
08-29-2012, 13:05
Depends ;-). Depends on the breed, the dog's age, and it's general activity level. Also depends heavily on he weather, especially if you are hiking in high heat or driving rain. The best way to answer this is to go on dayhikeS and keep a close eye on your dog's body language. You'll be able to tell when they're still having fun vs. when they're tired and just following you because it's their job. Regular dayhikes are also a great way condition yourself and your dog in order to work up to longer hikes. I'd recommend starting with short hikes of only a couple miles just to make sure your dog can do it, from there you should be able to increase distances as long as the both of you are having fun.

Longfan
08-29-2012, 15:49
I should have also ask what breed you hike with?!?

I have a lab/med-large terrior mix about 80 pounds. Elf; we walk the streets of the community that we live so Bear is fit enough to go do the hike. It seem though that he enjoys the trail/woods more than the streets; maybe I move slower on the trail?!?! He does get to be off the leash out in the woods cause he hangs with me very well; too many close calls in town!

Thirsty DPD
08-30-2012, 09:22
Angus & I cover 4.5 trail miles daily, (sometimes more), around 3mph. He's a yr. old Border Collie, we'll increase miles w/ age. Our focus is fun, & becoming a good trail citizen. We'll start some short overniters this fall.

Water Rat
08-30-2012, 09:29
I asked my dog trainer about this since i have just started hiking with my 8 month old puppy. She cautioned me about hiking to far since he is still under a year old and it could damage his joints since they are still forming. So far the longest we have done is about 3 miles but I plan to slowly boost that over the next year.

As for speed I usually average a little under 3 mph with the dog. (Normal hiking speed is 3.5 mph) My dog is 80 lbs so it may vary for you if you have a smaller dog. (When I walk our dachshund I have to go much slower lol)

--louis

I have 2 black lab - golden retriever pups. They are 1 yr and a couple of weeks old. One weighs 68 lbs. The other weighs 72 lbs. We hike at least 3 miles every day (just around the property), but when they hike... Their average is about 10 miles. This is between 3-3.5 mph. They set the speed and are nice enough to let me come along for the stroll. :) Neither has ever exhibited any soreness after our romps. I believe these pups could hike a lot farther, but I don't want to push them. They just love to be out on the trail with me.

Water Rat
08-30-2012, 09:30
Oops! Meant to link to the OP. Sorry about that!

Thirsty DPD
08-30-2012, 10:53
I have 2 black lab - golden retriever pups. They are 1 yr and a couple of weeks old. One weighs 68 lbs. The other weighs 72 lbs. We hike at least 3 miles every day (just around the property), but when they hike... Their average is about 10 miles. This is between 3-3.5 mph. They set the speed and are nice enough to let me come along for the stroll. :) Neither has ever exhibited any soreness after our romps. I believe these pups could hike a lot farther, but I don't want to push them. They just love to be out on the trail with me.

By the way, nice pics of Holly & Jolly.

Jeff
08-30-2012, 11:47
Another tip when hiking with a dog:

Call ahead to hostels and motels to find out their policy regarding dogs. Many are fine with dogs, others charge an extra fee, a few do not allow dogs at all.

Water Rat
08-30-2012, 12:12
By the way, nice pics of Holly & Jolly.

The girls say thank you! They like to think they are rather photogenic. I try not to tell them they are right - It just goes to their heads! :)

TheKO
09-01-2012, 23:24
Rocco is a mixed breed, Yorkie and Border Collie. He weighs 55 pounds. I am currently living in Yuma AZ and it is hot out here - 115 degrees! We walk before sunrise (about 4:15 AM) and again after sunset. The heat definitely takes it out of him. On our 2.5 miles daily walks, when it is warm he will sit down and not move. Winter time - different story he is ready to go. When I do hike with him up Telegraph Pass (in the winter time) I do carry extra water for him and he drinks just about all of it. Telegraph Pass is about 5.5 miles R/T but it is straight up and a great workout. He sets the pace.
The point I am making is by watching your dog he will tell you when he needs to stop. In my case, how far he can go is based on temperature and I don"t think it is safe to assume he will be able to cover x number of miles per day as mileage will vary.

RunningHuskies
09-02-2012, 09:00
I almost always hike with my dog, Kota. He's a Siberian who will turn 11 this fall and we usually cover 10 to 14 miles a day. We're not fast (actually I'm the slow one). Including breaks, lunch, etc. we probably only move 2.5 mph. Kota does carry all of his own gear. He does not do well in heat and so will not take him if the highs will be over 60 degrees.

He is getting older, though and at some point I'll have to leave him at home and take one of my other dogs. My dogs are working sled dogs, so they are in reasonable condition. This time of the year nobody is in great shape, since they've been laying around all summer, but we are starting to get them out on short training runs when it is cool enough. By October they will be running 25 miles pulling a training cart, so a hike with me probably seem like a vacation. I do know that all of my dogs get excited when they see me coming with a pack and seem very sad if they do not get to go along.

Hope this helps. It looks to me like everyone commenting here does what is best for their dog, which is what we should all do.

lostinfflood
09-03-2012, 06:52
Last year I hiked the NJ section with my 5 month old Border Collie. We averaged 12 miles a day with "nap breaks" for the pup during the day. She loved it and it allowed us to bond like no other experience could. Based on discussions with my vet and readings I disagree with the post about damage to the joints. Yes, they are still developing and certain impact activities like Frisbee should be avoided. I had my puppy fully examined by my vet and we worked up to this mileage over the course of weeks. Looking back it does sound like a great deal each day but I hiked slowly due to arthritic knees and she seemed just fine. I know that someone will post that this was abuse but I would never do anything to harm an animal. My dog came from working stock and isn't content unless she has something to do. Now that her body has matured I will allow her to carry a pack of her own. Unless the temperature is too high I hike everyday, with my two dogs, for at least an hour to two hours.17302

Water Rat
09-03-2012, 09:49
I think it varies from dog, to dog. Some dogs can hike more miles than other dogs. Every person adjusts differently to trail life, and so do dogs. I don't think there is any "right" answer to the OP. Makes it kinda hard to know if we have helped the OP. Longfan - Did have we helped you with the answer you were looking for? Or, is there more information you are seeking?

As long as the dog is happy (and healthy) - That is all that matters. A dog who is unhappy will let you know they aren't having fun.

Longfan
09-03-2012, 15:31
If gave me an idea of what other dogs/humans were able to do. Bear has had a neck injury and has seem to not enjoy the daily walks on the street but if we get on a trail (non-paved surface) he is seemeing to enjoy the walk. I also looking at doing some long distance hiking and wondered if the speed we were doing was below/above/at normal. We go about 2.5 mph and we have done 5 plus miles on the streeet so we are speed normal and could do more miles if we chose to so yes Waterrat yo have.

lostinfflood; I was told to keep the walks to 2-3 miles till Bear was 10 months to aid preventing hip-joint injury; not saying what you did was wrong; in fact is there issue with hip dysplacia in Border Collies?

Water Rat
09-03-2012, 16:19
If gave me an idea of what other dogs/humans were able to do. Bear has had a neck injury and has seem to not enjoy the daily walks on the street but if we get on a trail (non-paved surface) he is seemeing to enjoy the walk. I also looking at doing some long distance hiking and wondered if the speed we were doing was below/above/at normal. We go about 2.5 mph and we have done 5 plus miles on the streeet so we are speed normal and could do more miles if we chose to so yes Waterrat yo have.

lostinfflood; I was told to keep the walks to 2-3 miles till Bear was 10 months to aid preventing hip-joint injury; not saying what you did was wrong; in fact is there issue with hip dysplacia in Border Collies?

Glad we have been able to help. Very sorry to hear Bear has had neck issues. Poor guy! Hope he heals fast! You mentioned walking on the pavement seems to be something he isn't enjoying at the moment and on trail, he seemed to be enjoying things more. Have you noticed if the ups and downs (of the trail) and rocks also bother him the way pavement bothers him? Or, is it just walking on pavement?

Is Bear on a harness, or does his leash attach to his dog collar? If that is even a factor in his discomfort, then maybe switching things up might help a bit.

To answer the question you posed of lostinflood... Yes, Hip Dyspalasia is the most prevalent known genetic disease that affects Border Collies. That might be one of the reasons you were cautioned to build Bear up to longer hikes.

I am not a vet, but I have noticed different vets follow different schools of thoughts. I have also found my dogs to be better judges (than a lot of vets) as to what they can/can't handle. If you have concerns about longer hikes for Bear, then you should go with that feeling and slowly build up the distance. Always better to err on the side of caution.

Longfan
09-04-2012, 15:38
Glad we have been able to help. Very sorry to hear Bear has had neck issues. Poor guy! Hope he heals fast! You mentioned walking on the pavement seems to be something he isn't enjoying at the moment and on trail, he seemed to be enjoying things more. Have you noticed if the ups and downs (of the trail) and rocks also bother him the way pavement bothers him? Or, is it just walking on pavement?

Is Bear on a harness, or does his leash attach to his dog collar? If that is even a factor in his discomfort, then maybe switching things up might help a bit.

To answer the question you posed of lostinflood... Yes, Hip Dyspalasia is the most prevalent known genetic disease that affects Border Collies. That might be one of the reasons you were cautioned to build Bear up to longer hikes.

I am not a vet, but I have noticed different vets follow different schools of thoughts. I have also found my dogs to be better judges (than a lot of vets) as to what they can/can't handle. If you have concerns about longer hikes for Bear, then you should go with that feeling and slowly build up the distance. Always better to err on the side of caution.

We have used a harness because his head a neck are about equal in size all his life so a collar will slip off! I have made and used once a harness that does not have a "collar" (something that goes around his neck) insted it goes more against his chest/shoulders; he walked a bit better in that than the usual harness. I am lalso thinking the heat of the pavement is warm and his feet get hot. Also being black he heats quickly on the street where there is little or no shade; while the trails tend to have lighter color surface and SHADE!

I plan ti get out tomorrow early and see if the cooler temps and lower humidity make him happier!!

Paws60
09-04-2012, 16:59
Have a 13 month old Lab that loves to hike these days. We started her off on the trail at 9 weeks "had to carry her most of the way at that age but got her out on the trail was the point" last weekend did Mt. Osceola 4,340 ft with the dog about 1.5 to 2 hrs up. She carries her own pack with water and food about 7.5 lbs. I am thinking of booties for her after this hike. The trail was very, very rocky front paws are a little worn on the edge but rear to have a trail this rock except on ridgelines. We average most hikes 2 mph but again depends on terrain.

Water Rat
09-04-2012, 19:11
We have used a harness because his head a neck are about equal in size all his life so a collar will slip off! I have made and used once a harness that does not have a "collar" (something that goes around his neck) insted it goes more against his chest/shoulders; he walked a bit better in that than the usual harness. I am lalso thinking the heat of the pavement is warm and his feet get hot. Also being black he heats quickly on the street where there is little or no shade; while the trails tend to have lighter color surface and SHADE!

I plan ti get out tomorrow early and see if the cooler temps and lower humidity make him happier!!

I figured you had already been using a harness, but thought I would ask. Usually the simplest thing to try... :)

Good luck with Bear tomorrow. Let us know how it goes.

Longfan
09-05-2012, 12:20
Well he was a bit happier bit still prefered the gravel/rock over pavement; we slowed a bit but also walked 6.25 miles took us about 2:30-2:30 which is 2.5-2.7 miles an hour

Water Rat
09-05-2012, 12:29
Glad to hear he is happier! That is definitely something. :)

Is his neck injury recent, or has it been bugging him for a while? I am definitely not a vet, but this does make me wonder if walking on the pavement is somehow jarring his neck. Outside of the hiking issue, does it seem like his daily activities are the same?

Before all this, did he mind walking on pavement? I had one dog who really preferred to walk off the pavement and would go to great lengths to avoid it whenever possible.

Longfan
09-05-2012, 16:05
Bear did not mind pavement at least not to the point he seems to now. This morning it got "worse?" as the heat increased and we got more miles under belt. He is running and doing what he did before.

The injury was found the day before he anad our other dog were to be boarded for our short vaction (we when to see a KC Royals game) so Bear got the mojority of his cold lazer treatments while at the vets for boarding. He wentin on thurs and I picked them up Monday. When I left them, he was moving slowing and carfully. When I picked them up he rsn to the car and then after a day off we went out for his final treatment on Wednesday and he was jumping up on me; something I do not allow with an invite, which he was not getting, but I was a happy "daddy" when he did it. I realized that he had not been doing it for months. He has been back to walking about two a months; so maybe I am just wanting him totally back to normal quicker than I should. Looking at something I have up on another forum;we have only lost about .5 mph from a year or so ago and he has been down due to injury, heat and a stupid I did to my car that put me on foot and bike to get to work that mmeant I did not want to walk him after getting home; so Bear may just be "out of shape"?!?!

Water Rat
09-05-2012, 16:18
Bear did not mind pavement at least not to the point he seems to now. This morning it got "worse?" as the heat increased and we got more miles under belt. He is running and doing what he did before.

The injury was found the day before he anad our other dog were to be boarded for our short vaction (we when to see a KC Royals game) so Bear got the mojority of his cold lazer treatments while at the vets for boarding. He wentin on thurs and I picked them up Monday. When I left them, he was moving slowing and carfully. When I picked them up he rsn to the car and then after a day off we went out for his final treatment on Wednesday and he was jumping up on me; something I do not allow with an invite, which he was not getting, but I was a happy "daddy" when he did it. I realized that he had not been doing it for months. He has been back to walking about two a months; so maybe I am just wanting him totally back to normal quicker than I should. Looking at something I have up on another forum;we have only lost about .5 mph from a year or so ago and he has been down due to injury, heat and a stupid I did to my car that put me on foot and bike to get to work that mmeant I did not want to walk him after getting home; so Bear may just be "out of shape"?!?!

It's quite possible Bear is not in the shape that he was when he was at his peak hiking speed... Sounds like he has had a rough road (sorry...pun intended) to recovery. If he doesn't seem to be experiencing and pain in his normal activities, then maybe he just learned some new mechanics of body movement during his recovery. People learn how to move their bodies differently (when they experience pain), so that they don't experience the pain. Maybe the heat of the pavement is too much, or maybe he has just learned that walking/running on the pavement hurts more? Hard to say from behind a computer screen. :)

If Bear was my dog...I would attempt the pavement on a cool day/night and see if there was any difference in his movement. Just to rule that out. If he continues the behavior when the pavement is cool, then maybe he just prefers life off the beaten path.

Here's hoping you and Bear have many adventures on the trail, as things cool off for the year! That might improve his hiking speed, too.

Aquonehostel
09-06-2012, 14:12
Aquone Hostel, we have built a dog bunkhouse so owners & DOGS can take a break together, tick and flea shampoo + dog food available, call ahead (2013) so we can have it ready for you. 828 321 2340 www.aquonehostel.com/at.html

Longfan
09-06-2012, 18:26
Aquone Hostel, we have built a dog bunkhouse so owners & DOGS can take a break together, tick and flea shampoo + dog food available, call ahead (2013) so we can have it ready for you. 828 321 2340 www.aquonehostel.com/at.html (http://www.aquonehostel.com/at.html)
GREAT!! to hear

Longfan
09-06-2012, 21:54
Aquonehostel

Is the flea and tick shampoo for the dogs or the hikers?

OR BOTH?

Longfan
09-07-2012, 11:49
Well Waterrat and anyone else who has been reading; I thnk I figured out the issue with Bear. Heat! Not as much the pavemant but the air temp. Over the last two mornings we have walked 12.75 miles, about half each day, at about 3 miles per hours which was our speed +/- before the neck issues popped up. I also think I may have been slower than I thought picking up soda/beer cans as we walked. He still likes the grass or cruched limestone better than the pavement. He is also more likely to stop mark in town than out one the country road we walked yesterday (5 or 6 times vs well I lost count! today) and he is somewhere inbetween on the trail back in the day. The last hike we took was short and around a lake so he was a bit less to NEED to mark!?!

pheldozer
09-10-2012, 11:34
i have a 50LB, 4.5 year old shepherd/lab/beagle/husky/something/something/something mix. he carries his own food/water/blanket in a mountainsmith dog pack, and can do a few days of 10 +/- miles no problem.

like others have said, the heat prevents me from bringing him sometimes, but once the weather gets cold, it's nice to have the dog furnace in the tent with me!

him and his pack
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/252100_10150258836846318_88461_n.jpg

Longfan
09-11-2012, 15:55
Pheldozer

Good looking Puppy

Gambit
10-05-2012, 14:07
i HAVE A 72 PND LAB TERRIOR MIX, WARD CARRIES ALL HIS STUFF IN A WOLFPACK AND I DONT KNOW WHERE PEOPLE GET THE IDEA THAT THE DOG DICTATES THE TRIP. ITS MY TRIP AND HE GOES WITH ME SO WE COVER ANYWHERE FROM 3 TO 15 MILES. WARDY LOVES IT AND NEVER SHOWS SIGNS OF BEING TIRED. HIS TRAIL EXPERIENCE IS COMING UP AT ABOUT 700 MILES

Gambit
10-08-2012, 16:09
i HAVE A 72 PND LAB TERRIOR MIX, WARD CARRIES ALL HIS STUFF IN A WOLFPACK AND I DONT KNOW WHERE PEOPLE GET THE IDEA THAT THE DOG DICTATES THE TRIP. ITS MY TRIP AND HE GOES WITH ME SO WE COVER ANYWHERE FROM 3 TO 15 MILES. WARDY LOVES IT AND NEVER SHOWS SIGNS OF BEING TIRED. HIS TRAIL EXPERIENCE IS COMING UP AT ABOUT 700 MILES

I Did 15 miles this weekend on Roan Mountain, (12 on Saturday) Wardy lead the pack the whole time. His pack weighed 15 pounds and it rained the whole time. We had a great trip, and both had smiles on our faces as we walked onto 19E :)

matador
10-08-2012, 21:54
i hike 10 t0 18 miles on average and take my dog with does probably 3 times as much running loose cause dont keep on a leash

SteveJ
10-15-2012, 02:36
Nice thread - I've been away for awhile.... my now 10-year old slightly overweight Siberian Husky is happy to go around the block on the neighborhood these days... When she was 3, she carried her pack, water, food, night-time leash, and pad (for sub-zero weather) on week-long trips. She was ready and willing to out-hike me - 15 - 18 mile days.... We did one trip in June in North Georgia, and I could tell the heat, tho only low-80's, was just too much for her - that was her last summer hike (altho we later did a Shining Rock Hike in August, but was higher and cooler...). She has about 400 miles of AT hiking....her last trip was about a year ago - she just can't handle the stress on the hips anymore....really good days....

Thirsty DPD
10-15-2012, 08:50
She has about 400 miles of AT hiking....her last trip was about a year ago - she just can't handle the stress on the hips anymore....really good days....

Phoebe looks like a great companion......."really good days" says it all, thanks.

Longfan
10-15-2012, 19:24
Yeah; there comes that point where the spirit is willing but the flesh is unable to back up the spirit!

I had a Lab mix that would walk with my wife and I 4 to 6 miles a day when she was a young thing; but by the time our son was around she could not make it to the park about two blocks away; ended the last time she went with her riding hime on my shoulder; city streetsare much easier than a trail!! Shall we say she went down hill for there! Put her down 7 or 8 years ago.

Austin_Knott
10-25-2012, 12:48
I have a 75lb. mastador (Mastiff/lab mix). Dooma holds up well on the trail and can do about 15 miles with a 12lb pack (I dictated my own hike, he could've gone another 15)He loves water and can't wait to thru hike with him.

staehpj1
10-25-2012, 14:49
I trail run with my dog in addition to hiking with her. She has been fine running as far as 19 miles at a clip and is a lot faster than I can manage. I don't see a healthy dog having any trouble with pace or mileage compared to most hikers. The one exception is that they do have more trouble dealing with heat. Mine does OK even when it is very hot as long as it is shady, she has plenty of water, and she is at least somewhat acclimated to the heat.

staehpj1
10-25-2012, 14:53
I should have also mentioned that, like people, dogs need to ease into strenuous activity if it is a new thing to them. They adjust a lot faster than humans though, in my experience. And of course like humans some are better athletes than others.

Moose2001
10-25-2012, 15:21
I have a 75lb. mastador (Mastiff/lab mix). Dooma holds up well on the trail and can do about 15 miles with a 12lb pack (I dictated my own hike, he could've gone another 15)He loves water and can't wait to thru hike with him.

Austin - I saw on another post that you're going SOBO in June. Are you aware you can not take your dogs into Baxter SP (Katahdin)? You'll need to make arrangements to pick up the dog after you summit Katahdin.

Austin_Knott
10-29-2012, 12:41
Yes I am aware of the 3 places (State Parks) where dogs are not permitted. Me and my best friend have money saved for everything needed. Thank you.

FORTIS
11-04-2012, 15:04
Yes I am aware of the 3 places (State Parks) where dogs are not permitted. Me and my best friend have money saved for everything needed. Thank you.

Good luck to you and your pup Austin. I'm hiking with my dog as well, and will be heading North sometime in early March. Maybe our paths will cross.
Happy trails...

SawnieRobertson
11-04-2012, 15:37
I have a Standard Poodle who is not spayed because she is show quality and may sometime have pups. She and I are pretty inseparable, but I do not want to take her on trail. Boarding her at a place I would not have bad conscience about leaving her is prohibitively expensive. It is a quandary. That being said, I would never release her from her leash unless our lives were at stake. Others don't know that her loud bark is her way of saying, "Hi! Glad to meet you."
She doesn't realize how easily we can get lost from each other if she goes after a rabbit or some other creature she spots in the underbrush. Etc. A few dogs every year get lost from their hikers that way. And in her case, being intact, I believe she would be more likely to attract feral dogs. The final, but perhaps most important, reason for my not taking her is her weight. She hovers around 50 pounds. I am not strong enough to carry her out if she were injured and could not walk out on her own. No, I've got to find a place where she will be happy while I am gone and we can be reunited when I'm back.

saltysack
12-13-2012, 13:19
Recently took my 9 month old 17lb shorty jack Russell from springer to woody on weekend hike. He loved it! I'm looking forward to getting back out with him. I jog with him a few times a week on the asphalt to tough up his pads. The rocky trail didn't bother his feet at all. Jrt are durable lil dogs. I'm debating on getting him his own pack. Ruffwear makes a pack to fit but not sure if worth it as he's only supposed to carry about 4-5 lbs. any input?? I'm looking for a cheap old down vest to make a sleeping bag for him as he gets cold at night easily.

SawnieRobertson
12-13-2012, 13:29
Your little Jack Russell is fortunate to have such a caring owner. I like the idea of your converting a down vest into a sleepinng bag. Lucky dog. OTOH, nine months is not usually considered a totally grown dog. I hope that you are not taking him out on the loooooong hike too early in his development. As for my pooch, she will be staying close to my family at a vet's. I will miss her every time I look into some other trail dog's eyes.

saltysack
12-13-2012, 15:50
I had a hard time making him stop after reaching hark man shelter early in the day. He was running laps whole I was getting water at the stream! Turbo dog. I've always had labs and goldens but tired of dealing with big piles of ship..I wanted best of both worlds! This dog is a lil dog with a big dog personality. Wide open like my 6 year old!!

saltysack
12-13-2012, 15:51
Oops hawk mtn shelter