PDA

View Full Version : Silnylon SlipNSlide!!

Twigs
05-03-2005, 14:53
I have a Six Moon Designs Europa 05 coming in the mail. I know others have discussed this topic, but I can't find it in the forum search.:datz What is the best way to treat the floor of a silnylon tent to keep a sleeping pad from slipping around? Thanks.

hikerjohnd
05-03-2005, 15:00
I have a Six Moon Designs Europa 05 coming in the mail. I know others have discussed this topic, but I can't find it in the forum search.:datz What is the best way to treat the floor of a silnylon tent to keep a sleeping pad from slipping around? Thanks.
You're gonna love your Europa! I have used mine a few times now (and remember to set yours up in the yard and be sure the rear pole is the correct size - mine shipped with one too small) and have not found the floor to be all that slippery when sleeping on it. I put my gear on one side and my bag/pad on the other. The night I slept on a bit of an uphill, I slid to the back of the tent - but I would have done that in any tent on an uphill. :)

One other tip - be sure to get a good stake for the front guyline. I have bent a loop into a Ti stake because it kept spinning around and my tent kept falling over.

TDale
05-03-2005, 15:20
Put dots of silicone seam sealer either on the bottom of the pad or on the floor.

RockyTrail
05-03-2005, 15:21
The GE Silicone II sealant can be "painted" in a grid or stripes on the silnylon floor to help get a grip. Urethane glue will flake off. You can get it at a hardware store or from Henry Shires tarptents, see

http://www.tarptent.com/cgi-bin/surfshop/shop.cgi?searchtext=silicone+sealer&c=search.htm&storeid=1&categories=&Submit=Go%21

Also under his FAQ page at tarptent.com he describes how to thin the Silicone II so it can be painted easier.

PKH
05-03-2005, 18:33
I glued strips of rubbery drawer liner to the bottom of my sleeping pad. This pretty well keeps me in place on my slippery Cloudburst floor.

Cheers,

PKH

willyhort0w2
05-04-2005, 18:14
I have a tarp tent squall and I brushed on 4" x 4" X's of seam sealer on the floor in a random pattern with somewhat even spacing and it absolutely stoppen the slip and slide.

Doctari
05-04-2005, 22:27
My Nomad (sil Nylon) has a bead of silicon in a "zig zag" pattern. On moderatly level ground I don't slide at all, at least no more than my coated nylon tent floors.
It is a rather tight pattern, going from one side to the other about 4" apart for the length of the tent.

I think Kurt says he uses silicon cualk from almost any hdw store.

Doctari.