PDA

View Full Version : Old El Paso Tortilla Stuffers

Moose2001
08-29-2012, 16:09
Found these in the store today while I was shopping. I haven't seen them before but when I'm grocery shopping, I always keep an eye out for food ideas while hiking. I found two different flavors, Carne Asada Steak and Garlic Chilli Chicken. I was pretty skeptical about the flavor on these because I've tried similar meals and they weren't very good. But, thought I'd give them a shot anyway.

These meals are designed to be heated in a microwave. I simply opened the package into a pot, added a bit of water and heated with the lid on. Took about 4 minutes to get hot enough to eat. My first taste of the product was pretty bland. So, I thought about things I have with me when I hike. I added a bit of hot sauce and some parmesan cheese. I filled the mixture into a large tortilla and dug in. To my surprise, it was actually pretty good! I was able to get enough to fill two large tortillas. All in all, it would make a decent trail meal.

Downside? Weight. The product net weight is listed at 9.5 ounces. I checked the weight on my scale and they came in at 10.5 ounces for the steak and 10.2 ounces for the chicken. Not sure I'd want to pack a bunch of these but I might carry one out from town.

Enjoy

Moose2001
08-29-2012, 16:13
oh yeah....package is 450 calories - 75 calories from fat.

10-K
08-29-2012, 16:15
Love it when people trailblaze new food items.

Maddog
08-29-2012, 16:26
Looks like it might be worth a try! I think I may grab one for my hike this weekend! Maddog:D

Rocket Jones
08-29-2012, 17:30
I tried the steak version in the Spring. Since I do FBC, I tried heating one by sitting it in very hot water. That didn't work so good, but the contents are pretty tasty. And yep, they're heavy.

Hairbear
08-29-2012, 20:52
package is neat they are transparent on the bottom so you can see whats in them,rice,black bean,and steak is really good too.ate them for a lunch stop,was chewing so fast i bit my tounge twice that lunch but never quit chewing

canoe
08-29-2012, 21:05
They are pretty good. Used em in July. You can find some lighter weight food though.

Old Hiker
08-29-2012, 21:15
Got some in the Dollar Stores at various towns - didn't even heat them up - just opened and ate. Heavy, but one pack was a good, FULL lunch for me.

chrisoc
09-06-2012, 08:28
Tried a pouch of the steak asada w/tortillas yesterday. Pretty tasty, but I didn't get it at a dollar store. $3.59 @ Shoprite.

Drybones
09-06-2012, 08:35
Tried the steak version, very filling, decent taste, they go down easy if they're hot but a little on the greasy side as I remember when cold.

Maddog
09-06-2012, 09:13
Looks like it might be worth a try! I think I may grab one for my hike this weekend! Maddog:D

I tried the steak version on my Labor Day hike from Dick's Creek Gap, GA to Deep Gap, NC and it was great! I'll throw it in the dehydrator next time! Maddog:D