PDA

View Full Version : What Jacket?

kayak karl
08-29-2012, 17:23
winter hiking is coming up. on many threads hikers talk about down jacket, down vest, mountaineering jacket and such. many even say if its cold in hammock or bag just wear your jacket or vest. so i ask again "What Jacket?" is there a need for one and if so what kind?

i'm asking hikers, not campers. the temps i'm interested in is the south in winter (10-40 degree hiking weather)

im planning north out of Damascus to some place more north. leaving Jan 2nd or 3rd. want to re-think my clothing. all else is good.

Thanks,
KK

Maddog
08-29-2012, 17:33
I got this recently and I love it so far! http://www.rei.com/product/809225/patagonia-nano-puff-jacket-mens Maddog:D

HikerMom58
08-29-2012, 18:05
I can't speak to the jacket piece - I don't hike in the winter, But if you're planning on hiking North from Damasscus, you may need a trail angel to take you to the Homeplace to eat a real southern dinner. ;) You're prob not planning on hiking as far North as Central Va are you?

T-Rx
08-29-2012, 18:13
I have a Patagonia down jacket and love it. It is warm, lightweight and compresses well.

kayak karl
08-29-2012, 18:15
i need to be back working in March, but if we have a mild winter like last year i may leave before that.

HikerMom58
08-29-2012, 18:28
i need to be back working in March, but if we have a mild winter like last year i may leave before that.

I see, so you just don't know how far North you will get then.... Well, if you need me, at all, I'm just a call away. I hope we have another mild winter this year. I know you'll have fun even if you don't make it to the Homeplace. :) You have heard of it before, right? It's the BEST.

A friend of mine just hit a bear cub with her car near Catawba (2 miles from the Homeplace) right near McAfee Knob. She said the cub jumped over the guard rail and ran right into her car. She's fine but the bear cub and her car-not so much.

Flounder940
08-29-2012, 19:09
Have you heard about the jackets with DriDown, a highly water repellant down? This one from REI is the only one I am aware of on the market right now, but over the next month or so more should show up. There are several sleeping bags available too.

http://www.rei.com/product/838086/sierra-designs-gnar-lite-down-jacket-mens

10-K
08-29-2012, 19:21
Last winter, a mild one, I only wore a mid-weight long sleeve merino wool base layer with a light weight short sleeve marino wool t shirt over that and wore my Land's End down jacket when I stopped hiking.

Drybones
08-29-2012, 19:21
It took me several tries to get a down jacket that fit me properly...settled on the Marmot Zeus. The only time I wear it is when I'm in camp, it would cook you in a heartbeat if you're walking but sure feels nice when you're sitting around.

kayak karl
08-29-2012, 19:34
, it would cook you in a heartbeat if you're walking but sure feels nice when you're sitting around.
glad you said that, i thought nobody hiked in them :)
in camp i have a JRB wearable (http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/high-sierra-sniveller/) quilt that i put my packa (http://www.thepacka.com/) over it. been thinking about sleeves.

T-Rx
08-29-2012, 20:03
It took me several tries to get a down jacket that fit me properly...settled on the Marmot Zeus. The only time I wear it is when I'm in camp, it would cook you in a heartbeat if you're walking but sure feels nice when you're sitting around.

Good point Dry Bones. I never hike in my down jacket it is strictly used in camp. But man does it feel nice and warm when sitting around camp in cold weather!

Stir Fry
08-29-2012, 22:07
Check out the Zues. On sale for about $125. I have had mine into single digetes and stayed warm.
http://www.backcountry.com/marmot-zeus-down-jacket-mens?CMP_ID=PD_GOO001&mv_pc=r101&mkwid=sjFTVnPZE|pcrid|13561523947&002=2480193&004=2580501187&005=11017039724&006=13561523947&007=Search&008=

Zippy Morocco
08-31-2012, 16:17
http://www.featheredfriends.com/Picasso/Garments/Lt/Daybreak.html

Not a budget jacket excellent weight to warmth ratio. 900 fill power and almost made in the USA (Canada). Sold out of Seattle.

Feral Bill
08-31-2012, 16:26
I like a nice fleece for hiking and a down vest added for camp. Can't quite see the point of a thin down jacket.

kayak karl
08-31-2012, 18:25
I like a nice fleece for hiking and a down vest added for camp. Can't quite see the point of a thin down jacket.
feel the same. i have a mountain hardwear micro fleece i got at Mt Rogers outfitters. i love it. that and a long-sleeve wicking under-layer and i'm good down to 10. i think im just going to stick with the quilt as a vest. it has a hood that is removable and i wear at night.
i have a Patagonia Puff, but i can't see carrying it. i still take it camping and group hangs.

DominaCharters
10-26-2012, 03:07
I use Softshells jackets for hiking. It is made out of Nylon which is windproof and water resistant.

Ktaadn
10-26-2012, 12:22

I also got a Zeus a couple years ago and love it. You really do want to try on as many different brands as you can find in stores. They all fit a little bit differently.

I've also tried on some First Ascent down jackets that I really like. They are on sale right now too.

Ktaadn
10-26-2012, 12:24

I wear a baselayer and a shell jacket when hiking in the winter. I used to wear my fleece jacket but it is too heavy and doesn't pack well. My down jacket was also great when I got to camp after a long wet day and my sleeping bag was a little damp(poor packing on my part). I was able to wear my jacket while my bag dried out a little.

Personal preference I suppose but the down will always be lighter and pack smaller.

Aquonehostel
10-26-2012, 13:03
You may consider: http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=70&p_id=2301167 go for XL Wiggy 2010

Dogwood
10-27-2012, 00:28
This is off topic but has anyone else been recently astonished by all the HIGH end(800 down +) down clothing on the market? If I recall correctly, it seemed less than 5 years ago there was supposedly some sourcing issues for the VERY BEST DOWN. Now it seems to be everywhere. Somewhere down in my gut I'll(no pun intended), I get the suspicion that some down clothing manufactuers are overstating(mis stating?) the level of their down clothing. Humm?

Cadenza
10-27-2012, 00:50
This is off topic but has anyone else been recently astonished by all the HIGH end(800 down +) down clothing on the market? If I recall correctly, it seemed less than 5 years ago there was supposedly some sourcing issues for the VERY BEST DOWN. Now it seems to be everywhere. Somewhere down in my gut I'll(no pun intended), I get the suspicion that some down clothing manufacturors are overstating(mis stating?) the level of their down clothing. Humm?

I have no idea if it's true or not,.....but just today I was shopping for a down jacket in a local independent outfitter store and the guy told me that industry rumor was that down prices will go up sharply after the new year. He stated that demand has increased dramatically, and supply of the high quality European stuff can't keep up.
He further stated that lots of products will still be called "down" but will come from chickens instead of geese.

If demand truly is outpacing supply,.....maybe it's all my fault.
This year alone I have bought a Hammockgear 3/4 length 20 degree underquilt, a 20 degree top quilt, Luke's Ultralight down sleeves, Luke's down hood, Underground Quilts 0 degree full length underquilt, Mountain Hardware Absolute Zero jacket, and an Outdoor Research Virtuoso jacket.

My wallet can't take it anymore!
But I'm glad I got it before the prices go up.

Sailing_Faith
10-27-2012, 09:09
Down is in. Everyone is wearing it from the yuppies to urban thugs.... Nice thing is thrift shop bargains should abound in a couple years....:)

Tinker
10-27-2012, 10:30
Down is in. Everyone is wearing it from the yuppies to urban thugs.... Nice thing is thrift shop bargains should abound in a couple years....:)

I found a nice Cabela's down jacket at the local Salvation Army last year. I think I paid ten or fifteen dollars for it. It was double lined, so I cut out the innermost liner and saved 3-1/2 oz.

My favorite down jacket is an old Marmot with a hood which weighs 17 oz. It's only 650 fill, but it serves its purpose well. The ultralight down jackets with the closely stitched seams have more cold spots (every seam is a cold spot) and the less down the manufacturer uses the more stitching is necessary to stabilize the down. Most of the extremely light down jackets or sweaters of this type are not nearly as warm as a properly filled pound plus jacket with fewer seams.
I use a hoodless bag with my hammock system, so a hooded jacket or separate hood is absolutely key to keeping my neck warm.

Dogwood
10-27-2012, 16:24
You are a downaholic Credenza, I mean Cadenza!

LOL Get outta here - chicken down? Who came up with that idea? TNF, Kelty, or some gear wonk over at BPL?

Dogwood
10-27-2012, 16:42
BTW, by far, IMHO, the BEST state for buying HIGH END used gear, like on consignment or from consignment stores, or from gear stores changing from their spring, summer, and fall hiking stock to the late fall/winter skiing stock is Colorado. Even some mainstream gear stores in Colorado sell, for a small profit, gear on consignment from private individual gear owners.

For example, in Denver at Wilderness Exchange, near REI and GoLite outlets, I recently picked up $125 retail Montrail Masochists trail runners for $60 in size 14. Bought two new pairs. It was equivalent to, buy one pr at retail get the second pr free. It's because the store was making room for their skiing gear season line-up. Same was true at the GoLite outlet(three doors down) and REI(across the street). Nylon running shorts, Malpais rain jacket, Tumalo rainpants, merino wool tees at GoLite. And, a new set of Black Diamond Ultra Distance Z-lite carbon fiber trekking poles and convertibles from REI. All at 40 % or more off. And, that's just the new stuff. Snagged a basically never been worn Icebreaker 250 wt merino wool long sleeved 1/4 zip w/ monkey holes for $25 in Silverthorne at another gear store with upstairs on consignment area.

thebrewguy
10-27-2012, 17:00
Base layer, and a light fleece shirt for hiking. I'll take on/off a micro fleece "buff" style head wear and some light gloves as needed. I also only put the down jacket on in camp. I have a First Ascent hooded jacket and man that thing is toasty.