PDA

View Full Version : Winter hiking with no integrated hood?

Timinator
08-29-2012, 20:38
I plan to do some of the CDT in winter and I just got this jacket http://www.x-bionic.com/men/systemgear/shelter-layer/hypershell-outdoor-jacket-v-20/404541/detail from some swedish website because it looked interesting and it has an interesting membrane that lets water soak into the outside (sweat). The jacket is great however it turned out the hood is trash and was put in as an afterthought. I don't like the idea of above treeline travel with no hood that protects neck/face. Is there some sort of external type hood that I can use to serve the purpose of protecting myself from exposure? The jacket wasn't cheap (even though I didn't really pay for it :P) so it wouldn't be cool if I have to go out and buy another jacket.

Old Boots
08-29-2012, 21:27
How about a balaclava?

Timinator
08-29-2012, 21:54
I have a good balaclava but I don't think it's meant to replace a hood. Unless I'm wrong? Seems like a bad idea to me.

grayfox
08-30-2012, 08:54
The jacket looks pretty sweet to me. Looks like you can actualy wear it while you hike without being soaked with sweat. I would not think the hood will be a problem for you even though it is light. You will probably only use it when the wind picks up and with a wool hat or balaclava you will be comfortable while walking. I don't think this jacket will replace your insulation layer though so when you stop for the day you will probably still need to have a down or synthetic layer. It would be best if you could wear them both together for the worst conditions.

Timinator
08-30-2012, 09:13
The jacket does indeed soak up sweat very well and the spacer pads on the back provide excellent ventilation. I've never done any above tree line hiking before but from what I've read if you have any skin exposed you can get frostbite quickly and pretty much every website I go to says you need to get a jacket with an integrated hood and a zipper that covers your neck and chin. I just received an email from the company that made my jacket like an hour ago and they said they are coming out with a jacket that is more for this sort of thing in december but it's going to cost like $650 :eek:. Maybe I'll sell this one and get that one when it becomes available because I like the sweat absorbing thing. Either way I definitely don't want to end up having the wrong jacket in frostbite conditions.