PDA

View Full Version : Prescription glasses

Timinator
08-30-2012, 00:17
I use prescription glasses and I'm wondering what type I should bring to the CDT. I've read you need complete coverage due to snow blindness. Right now I'm using http://www.oakley.com/products/6408/23692 but I'm wondering if I should get something like http://www.ussportseyewear.com/product.php/193/anti-fog-prescription-sunglasses-rx-sport-goggles. My oakelys have an annoying gap at the bottom and light bounces up through them, which I assume might be a problem. I'm not sure how relevant the antifog is on the other ones but they seem like a good pair of goggle type glasses and are breathable. I saw some prescription goggle glasses at walmart but they didn't have the air gaps on the sides and I figure without those you will fog up all day. Any suggestions?

leaftye
08-30-2012, 01:29
I can tell you that that foam surround will make fogging an issue. I used something like that last summer in the Sierras. They'd fog severely while doing trail work, although fogging was much easier to control while hiking. Now keep in mind that although there was a lot of snow, it was much warmer than it would be going into the winter on the CDT.

For the cost of those Oakley's and Tac 3's, I'd rather try a few different solutions from Zenni Optical and stick with what works best. Fwiw, I recently got some safety goggles from them for trail work and other safety concerns.

The sunglass goggles I used last year and the goggles from Zenni are not polarized, and the ones last year had questionable UV protection. The sunglasses claimed to be UV400, whatever that means. Zenni claims to have UV protection, but doesn't say how strong it is, if it's for UVA or UVB... My eyes never got burned last year though, so I guess the cheap sunglass goggles worked well enough.

I also had closely fitting non prescription Oakley's, but they fogged up too. I think the tight fit was the problem...not enough ventilation.

I found using a bandana to keep sweat from dripping off my forehead really cut back on fogging.

The goggles I just bought aren't shaded, but if the other stuff I bought from Zenni works well, I'll buy some shaded goggles or sunglasses too. I'll probably post here about it.

Timinator
08-30-2012, 01:35
Well the tacs are impervious to fogging. I've seen videos of people dunking their head in a steaming dishwasher and stuff without a glint of fog. Is fogging a big concern overall with goggle type glasses? If I go with cheap ones will I have issues?

leaftye
08-30-2012, 04:28
I've had fogging on every glasses or goggles I've tried. I'm sure the Zenni's will fog too. There are ways of mitigating fogging, but I know of no foolproof way to absolutely stop it, not for something a hiker can carry anyway. HOOPS on wintertrekking.com even went so far as to get some ski-type goggles with a built in fan that were supposed to prevent fogging, but still had problems and doesn't recommend them. Those Tac-3's have my attention. I've only seen their promotional videos and claims though. I need to see a long term review before dropping that kind of money on it. Even if they do fog, they have the advantage of having a single lens to wipe fog from. Still though, for that kind of money, I can wipe off fog a lot and replace the glasses many times when they get scratched. For now I'll use Cat Crap and a bandana or two.

Still though, $400 for glasses could be a big down payment on laser eye surgery.

Timinator
08-30-2012, 04:52
I was thinking about laser eye but I hear too many risks. I have no reason to believe the Tacs won't work and judging from what you said they seem to be my only choice if I want to avoid fogging. It is a shame they are so expensive though but I suppose you get what you pay for. Their non-anti fog version is only $160, about the average price for glasses but they aren't hydrophobic so I won't even bother.

leaftye
08-30-2012, 05:14
Do you have fogging problems with your Oakley's in the winter? Is it a big enough deal to spend $350?

The main reason I had big problems with fogging last winter is because of the trail work. I was using tools in such a way that I wanted a great deal of vision, but my hands were busy, and I was working with others that were affected when I took a moment. Fogging while walking wasn't as big of a deal because I could wipe the fog off while walking. Even when I was on snow, I was happy to break for a moment to wipe them. And my vision is good enough that I really don't need prescription glasses to hike. The sun exposure was short--not a big deal imho.

Timinator
08-30-2012, 06:23
I just received my glasses in march so I couldn't say. They do fog sometimes though if my fore head gets hotter than normal. I honestly haven't done any winter activities with glasses on (although I'm pretty blind) so I could not say what could cause fogging if anything on the trail in winter. I just wan't glasses that block out rain, wind, and sunlight (I'm sensitive to uv even on a normal day) without having vision obscurities such as water globs or fog.

leaftye
08-30-2012, 06:36
To touch on the bandana again, if it's hanging off your shoulder strap, you can wipe your eyes and prevent most fogging from starting. One problem you may deal with is your breath if you hike when it's very cold, that is, if you use anything like a balaclava to keep your face warm. That can quickly cause severe fogging.

Hopefully someone buys and reviews those Dixon glasses this winter. Perhaps you should ask Dixon for a reference to an independent review. It's the least they can do when you're spending that much money based on such a grandiose claim...assuming such a review exists. Maybe you'll get lucky and they'll offer you a pair to review.

Timinator
08-30-2012, 07:04
I know right! I don't know why an independent review doesn't exist. Unfortunately glasses are almost dead last on my priority list of things to get or else I would try them and let you know.

handlebar
09-05-2012, 16:01
Can you wear contacts? I've found I can leave the Night and Day brand extended wear bifocal contacts in my eyes for about 6 weeks before changing them out. I just use re-wetting drops in the morning and at night. That eliminates hygiene concerns with taking out and inserting contacts and gives me a wide choice of sunglasses. I had a pair from Native that didn't have that irritating gap and used them on both the PCT and all of the CDT. Bandana on my pack strap helpful to clean them. Don't remember fogging problem.

Drybones
09-05-2012, 16:19
This spring rain and fog was a problem, glasses fogged to the extent I could hardly see to hike, made the decision then to have the catarac surgery I've been putting off to eliminate glasses except for reading. Last eye done about 5 weeks ago, lovin it, cant wait to try the new eye out on the trail. I do not recall the name of it but a friend had a small can of paste he rubbed on his glasses and it did a good job of keeping the fog off. Walmart sells wipes that work also. A cap to keep the sweat off helps and the bandana hung on a shoulder strap.

Snowleopard
09-05-2012, 19:06
There are sunglasses that fit over prescription glasses (called fitover sunglasses).
An example: http://www.amazon.com/Hideaways-Polarized-Sunglasses-Prescription-Glasses/dp/B005GKIHHM/ref=sr_1_3?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1346885086&sr=1-3&keywords=sunglasses+fitover+polarized
They're available in different qualities and darkness, most would be suitable except when you really need goggles or glacier glasses.

Slo-go'en
09-05-2012, 20:32
I bought a pair of prescription sunglass and found I can't hike with them on. They distort my sense of depth perception. I think it's because thier polarlized. Thier okay so long as I don't have to look to where my feet have to go on uneven ground. So, before you spend big bucks on glasses, you might want to find out if that is an issue for you or not.

Spirit Walker
09-05-2012, 22:13
I never bothered with goggles or glacier glasses - just wore regular prescription dark glasses. The only time I ever had problems with sun on snow was on the PCT when I didn't wear the dark glasses one day because the shadows in the suncups threw off my depth perception. I burned my eyes pretty badly and ended up spending two days in bed with cold cloths over my eyes. But on the CDT I never had any problems with just regular glasses.