PDA

View Full Version : to add weight or stay slim before you start

Mulungu
08-30-2012, 04:55
everything i read about this hike tells me that i will loose weight. Both of us are slim fit people. do we add a bit of weight before we start (looking forward to stuffing my face) or do we stay slim and just keep on eating well.:-?

leaftye
08-30-2012, 05:19
There's a member here that says he does it, but I don't see how it's worth it. Can you carry and eat a little more on the trail instead?

10-K
08-30-2012, 05:41
Just hike and eat..... don't worry about this.

Ender
08-30-2012, 07:25
Just hike and eat..... don't worry about this.

Exactly this.

Also, I gained 15 pounds on my AT thru. Started as a skinny guy, ended as a skinny guy with leg muscles.

lemon b
08-30-2012, 09:43
Keep doing what your doing. Have fun on your hike.

Chaco Taco
08-30-2012, 09:44
Id worry more about getting into shape and getting used to walking

makincaid
08-30-2012, 10:10
If you are concerned about weight loss, just carry some olive oil, or other fat.

In my opinion it's much more efficient to carry a few days worth of fat in the food bag, rather than hauling several weeks worth on the body fat.

Thirsty DPD
08-30-2012, 10:11
Both of us are slim fit people. :-?

Sounds like you're just right, "fit". Folks that loss 40, or 60 lbs. on their hike needed to lose it whether they were hiking or not. Being prepared & fit will not only minimize weight loss, but also injury & frustration. It will also increase your chances of a completed thru. What a 280 lb. ultralite backpacker fails to understand is even though their Big 4 weighs 4.8 lbs, they're carrying 40 or more lbs they could have shaved at a fraction of the cost. One winter I built myself a custom carbonfiber roadbike. I spent a fortune on titanium nuts & bolts to shave ounces, During the course of building the bike that winter I gained 8 lbs., so much for shaving weight.

10-K
08-30-2012, 10:30
Interestingly, I feel like I hike better with a couple of extra pounds than I do at my fighting weight.

I'm talking four or five not 15 or 20.

The Solemates
08-30-2012, 10:39
Folks that loss 40, or 60 lbs. on their hike needed to lose it whether they were hiking or not.

I understand your point, but this is not always the case. I was 225 lb and 8% body fat when i hit the trail. I lost 38 lb by the Maine line. Then I gained 10 more back before finishing. My normal healthy weight is 215 and 12-14% body fat, which is what I am now.

mudhead
08-30-2012, 10:41
5 extra for you is different than 5 extra for someone else.

5 extra puts your body fat at what 6%?

10-K
08-30-2012, 10:51
Are you making fun of me Leon? :)

jakedatc
08-30-2012, 11:20
Sounds like you're just right, "fit". Folks that loss 40, or 60 lbs. on their hike needed to lose it whether they were hiking or not. Being prepared & fit will not only minimize weight loss, but also injury & frustration. It will also increase your chances of a completed thru. What a 280 lb. ultralite backpacker fails to understand is even though their Big 4 weighs 4.8 lbs, they're carrying 40 or more lbs they could have shaved at a fraction of the cost. One winter I built myself a custom carbonfiber roadbike. I spent a fortune on titanium nuts & bolts to shave ounces, During the course of building the bike that winter I gained 8 lbs., so much for shaving weight.

can do both. and benefits both. less weight will always be a benefit.

pro cyclists could all kick our asses on steel commuter bikes with 32mm tires but they still ride the UCI limit because it is easier.

Whack-a-mole
08-30-2012, 12:21
I have about 25lbs that you can have!

Water Rat
08-30-2012, 12:23
Most people have a weight they are most comfortable with... Everyone's body is different, and everyone reacts differently to losing/gaining weight. Go with what feels right for you. Oh, and :welcome to White Blaze! Hope you and your wife have a great (and safe!) hike.

Starchild
08-30-2012, 15:17
I am considering dropping 10 lbs before the hike, the reason is that's 10 less lbs to carry. I am in my ideal weight range, and know I can easily accomplish that. I also know how extra weight on my body does make a difference that I can feel, maybe not as evident as extra weight in your pack, but it's still there and still has to be carried.

Rasty
08-30-2012, 15:35
Forget trying to gain or loose weight, just have a glass of Ken Forrester Chenin Blanc, you won't find a good South African wine on the AT.

garlic08
08-30-2012, 15:41
I'm very slender, too. My last week of getting ready for a strenuous trip usually consists of sitting down and eating. I like to start with a small "cushion". It helps to keep from "bonking" on the climbs if you have a source of fat. After a week or so that's gone, but it's still nice to start with and it's fun eating all you can, especially if someone else is paying for it!. On the AT, I got through the Smokies before I hit that point. After the fat is gone, I have to eat more frequently.

If you find yourself losing any weight, either slow down the hiking or eat more, or both. Excessive weight loss is not good. Listen to your body.

At least that's the way it works for me.

FarmerChef
08-30-2012, 15:45
+1 on the wine :D Seriously though, don't worry about trying to put on weight. I haven't thru hiked yet (emphasis on yet) but do go out for 9 or 10 days at a time. Separately, I have worked hard over a long time to get my BF% down to the 13-16% range and I run about 30 miles a week. Even with town stops and eating well on the trail, I no longer lose weight. But like Ender said, I do come back with more muscle and a lower BF percentage.

...and...half the fun is seeing if you can up your personal record at the next AYCE pizza parlor. Mmmmmm....calorieeees.

q-tip
08-30-2012, 21:18
I lost 30 for my 1,000 section ga-wv and 40 for this hiking season---it makes all the difference for me--a pound is a pound is a pound......

kayak karl
08-30-2012, 21:33
i have never heard where purposely adding on weight was a healthy move (if you are already at a proper weight). adding on muscle could not hurt and if that adds weigh then great :)

Mulungu
08-31-2012, 01:24
Thanks water rat. We shave become obsessed with this trail. I think we may loose a few friends if we don't shut up and talk about something else. All our time is taken up with planning and talking. In fact we have decided that we have to spend at least one hour a day talking about something else. This trail is all consuming but we can't wait to get on the plane and start walking

Mulungu
08-31-2012, 01:25
Off to the gym we go

Water Rat
08-31-2012, 08:25
Thanks water rat. We shave become obsessed with this trail. I think we may loose a few friends if we don't shut up and talk about something else. All our time is taken up with planning and talking. In fact we have decided that we have to spend at least one hour a day talking about something else. This trail is all consuming but we can't wait to get on the plane and start walking

Well, you are in luck! This is the perfect place to come and obsess about the trail. :) The majority of us will understand (and share) your obsession with the trail. I know my Springer Fever is getting worse each day. Unfortunately, there is no known cure...other than to hike. But, I am worried it will just be a terrible cycle of needing to find something else to hike when I finish the AT, the PCT, the CDT... :eek:EEEEEEK!

Rasty
08-31-2012, 08:36

Well, you are in luck! This is the perfect place to come and obsess about the trail. :) The majority of us will understand (and share) your obsession with the trail. I know my Springer Fever is getting worse each day. Unfortunately, there is no known cure...other than to hike. But, I am worried it will just be a terrible cycle of needing to find something else to hike when I finish the AT, the PCT, the CDT... :eek:EEEEEEK!

I'm not obsessed I can quit any time!

Water Rat
08-31-2012, 08:41

That's what they all say...

Drybones
08-31-2012, 08:46
After losing weight on the trail and returning to everyday life, did anyone have trouble gaining too much weight back. At first I was concerned about the weight not coming back, now I'm concerned about it not stopping.

colorado_rob
08-31-2012, 09:06
I'm fairly skinny and tend to lose weight on the trail, so I do plan on trying to gain 5-8 pounds of "reserve" before I start next April. This has helped me in the past, I think, on long expeditions (nothing nearly this long though). I HEAR ya on the obsession thing! I figure: Obsess now for a couple more months, then over the winter (your summer, of course), relax a bit for a couple/few months, try to forget about it utill February or so, then ramp back up!

Mags
08-31-2012, 09:32
I have a stocky, muscular build. Even when I on the heavier side of the stocky equation, I am in good shape. However, when I am thinner, the outdoor activities are easier. :)

The same build that makes me put weight easily thankfully makes me keep the weight on for longer hikes, too.

For the *average* American (which means fat or obese now-a-days), putting on extra weight before a thru-hike does not make much sense. Better to eat sensibly and be active before a hike rather than worry about a cushion.

If you a rail thin, perhaps less than 10 lbs will help..but you'll burn that off very quickly I suspect.

DavidNH
08-31-2012, 14:15
this is the last thing a thru hiker should worry about. However much you weigh.. you will lose plenty of weight during your trip. However, however much weight you lose on your hike, the weight will come back afterwards!!

Buffalo Skipper
08-31-2012, 14:46
Personally, I would like to be about 10 lbs lighter than I am, especially if I were hiking. I am hoping to loose a few pounds on my 1 week section hike in 3 weeks. Sure would be nice to loose a few and keep them off....

I can only guess, but I when I do thru, I imagine I might get from that 192ish down to 170 or 175ish.

Mulungu
09-01-2012, 08:43

The thing is.... I am a real social person and now my friends are threatening to takeuse off all invite lists unless I promise not to say the A word. It seems I can talk about sport or religion or politiccs or sex. But say Appalachian and the eyes roll and everyone sort of shuffles off.

What do they know.. This is my wife's and my obsession and adventure.....:D

Water Rat
09-01-2012, 10:39
The thing is.... I am a real social person and now my friends are threatening to takeuse off all invite lists unless I promise not to say the A word. It seems I can talk about sport or religion or politiccs or sex. But say Appalachian and the eyes roll and everyone sort of shuffles off.

What do they know.. This is my wife's and my obsession and adventure.....:D

Well, after looking at all the other topics, I can see their point. The other topics open the door for discussion... If they are not familiar with the Appalachian Trail (oops, I said the "A" word! :)), then it will just be a monologue. Invite a few of them to this website. They will form opinions on whether or not a rain jacket should be packed, what type of shoe to wear on the trail, etc. THEN, you will be able to have a few good arguments at the parties! :)

I guess the positive way to look at it is - If you aren't spending all that time at parties, you will have more time on White Blaze, talking about the AT! :D

Thirsty DPD
09-01-2012, 12:44
Well, after looking at all the other topics, I can see their point. The other topics open the door for discussion... If they are not familiar with the Appalachian Trail (oops, I said the "A" word! :)), then it will just be a monologue. Invite a few of them to this website. They will form opinions on whether or not a rain jacket should be packed, what type of shoe to wear on the trail, etc. THEN, you will be able to have a few good arguments at the parties! :)

I guess the positive way to look at it is - If you aren't spending all that time at parties, you will have more time on White Blaze, talking about the AT! :D

That was really good advise....I'd like to make an appointment.....I could use some sound relatioal advise.

Thirsty DPD
09-01-2012, 12:46
And a spelling lesson.......relational.