PDA

View Full Version : Question: NOC to Fontana/ GSNP

PapaGarrettP
08-30-2012, 10:21
All,

I am looking at a 3 day trip from the NOC NOBO to GSNP/Fontana Dam the week before Thanksgiving. Just started planning. I know that from NOC to Fontana is about 29 miles and that seems like a good distance. My questions:

1. How much farther from Fontana is the entrance to GSNP?
2. Would it be sfaer to leave my truck at the NOC (is this even possible), or at Fontana?

Thanks!

Papa G

fredmugs
08-30-2012, 11:03
I seem to recall it's a good mile long walk from the dam to going back into the woods (heading NOBO). I did it SOBO at the end of a 40 mile day so I may have been hallucinating at that point.

Either place is safe to park at and obviously there are more people at the NOC which is probably a good thing. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Stir Fry
08-30-2012, 11:44
After you cross the Dam you are in the GSM. I have left my car at the visitors center several times and heve never had a problem. As a cop I leave nothing in the open: open the dash and consol. If someone did have an idea to break in they would see there is nothing to take. Its worked for me and not only at Fontana

10-K
08-30-2012, 12:04
Parking at the dam is marginally safer. It is patrolled regularly as it has been been identified as a potential terrorist target.

I was told this by someone, seriously.

PapaGarrettP
08-30-2012, 12:42
The last time I was at the NOC I was dropped off and hiked SOBO, so I did not park. Is there legit overnight parking there?

Water Rat
08-30-2012, 12:53
Parking at the dam is marginally safer. It is patrolled regularly as it has been been identified as a potential terrorist target.

I was told this by someone, seriously.

I believe it. After 9/11, almost all dams were put on the "potential terrorist target" list. Some of the dams provide energy, drinking water, etc. There is also the potential for many deaths downstream if a dam is breached.

Josh Calhoun
08-30-2012, 14:12
yes you can park at the NOC, the best place to park is right behind the little convenience store on the left. opposite side of the rd from the outfitters. i park there and do multi day hikes allot. never had any trouble at all

PapaGarrettP
08-30-2012, 14:21
Thanks, Josh. I remember staging there in that exact spot last April for a hike down to Dicks Creek Gap. That was strenuous first day climb SOBO. I imagine that going NOBO out of the NOC sucks just as much! If you were going point to point from NOC to Fontana, which way would you go -- NOBO or SOBO? Just curious...

yellowsirocco
08-30-2012, 14:53
Safest place would be at the Hike Inn, but that cost money. Parking at Fontana Dam should be safe enough though.

daddytwosticks
08-30-2012, 16:27
I've parked at the NOC numerous times. Very safe and great place to end a hike. I've always parked up the hill past that fancy restaurant. :)

Stir Fry
08-30-2012, 18:29
Thanks, Josh. I remember staging there in that exact spot last April for a hike down to Dicks Creek Gap. That was strenuous first day climb SOBO. I imagine that going NOBO out of the NOC sucks just as much! If you were going point to point from NOC to Fontana, which way would you go -- NOBO or SOBO? Just curious...

The climb is strenuous from eather direction. Fontana and NOC are almot the same elevation: withen 100 or so feet, with a big mountain between them.

10-K
08-30-2012, 18:43
I would rather hike it southbound just to end at NOC for a cheeseburger.

Papa D
08-30-2012, 20:03
Parking at the NOC and getting a shuttle to your north-point might be the most fun for you. Most people would make this a weekend trip:

Friday - set shuttle and hike from Fontana to Cable Gap Shelter - about 7 miles
Saturday - Cable Gap to Sassafras Gap - about 16 miles (this would be a long day for a weekender - you could break it up and stop at Brown Fork Gap but a sunset after a long day on Sassafras might be worth the challenge.
Sunday - Sassafras Gap to NOC - an easy morning stroll - mostly downhill - about 6 miles

The two shelters that I suggested have good water sources - creeks right in front of the shelter - - the water at Brown Fork Gap is a scramble down a blue blaze but it usually is ok too.

FYI - you asked about the entry to the GSMNP - it is about 50 yards north of Fontana Dam. Parking at either end would be ok but the NOC parking would be better - - also, most newbies would find 2 sections in particular very hard -
up Sassafras from NOC - the 6 miles stroll is a little bit of a grunt the other way and up to Brown Fork Gap Shelter from Stecoah Gap (main road - mid-point of trip) - it only about a mile but it's steep and hard going north.

yellowsirocco
08-30-2012, 21:07
Friday - set shuttle and hike from Fontana to Cable Gap Shelter - about 7 miles
Saturday - Cable Gap to Sassafras Gap - about 16 miles (this would be a long day for a weekender - you could break it up and stop at Brown Fork Gap but a sunset after a long day on Sassafras might be worth the challenge.
Sunday - Sassafras Gap to NOC - an easy morning stroll - mostly downhill - about 6 miles

Camp at Cheoa bald on instead on Saturday night if the weather is right.

Papa D
08-30-2012, 21:10
Camp at Cheoa bald on instead on Saturday night if the weather is right.

Yeah - that's what I meant - Sassafras Gap Shelter is just a couple of tenths south down the hill - - you could hang out on top and chill out till the sun goes down and then make for the shelter too.

Biggie Master
08-30-2012, 22:49

+1 AND to soak your tired feet in the cool river water

STICK
08-30-2012, 23:37
I have left my truck at the NOC and it was fine. As well, I have left my truck up at the trail head past the dam for a hike and more recently a buddy left his truck at the Visitor Center at the dam and it was fine there too. I would be fine leaving a vehicle at either place.

PapaGarrettP
08-31-2012, 08:54
Thanks for all the great tips, everyone (special shout out to Papa D!). As I have mentioned in previous posts, my son and I are working our way north from AFSP, section hiking 50 or so miles at a clip. We are dependent on two variables: his school vacation and my lack of interest in summer trips (hot, buggy, less water and more people). Because of Thanksgiving plans, we only have three days of hiking and want to be able to knock out GSMNP over a long Spring Break week. As we live in Florida, we have always dropped the truck at the (southern) endpoint and caught a ride north, hiking south to the vehicle. That's what we will do in November. A final question:

Who would you call to arrange a shuttle? This is out of Josh and Leigh's range and maybe too far for Joyce and Sally. Any other suggestions?

Papa G

pyroman53
08-31-2012, 11:08
Jeff and Nancy at Hike Inn 828-479-3677

Aquonehostel
08-31-2012, 15:00
Your welcome to do 3 days from winding stairs gap to NOC and we can slack-pack you from Wayah Gap to Telico Gap, you can leave the truck at the hostel, Aquone Hostel Nantahala NC (Thru-hiker Wiggy 2010)

Whack-a-mole
09-01-2012, 09:52
If you end at NOC, you can grab a quick shower at their public bath house. Just be sure to have a couple dollars in quarters. After that walk over to the river and grab a sandwich on the deck, have a seat and just relax and enjoy the view and the afternoon. I don't know of many places that are better to end a hike at.

daddytwosticks
09-01-2012, 12:30
If you end at NOC, you can grab a quick shower at their public bath house. Just be sure to have a couple dollars in quarters. After that walk over to the river and grab a sandwich on the deck, have a seat and just relax and enjoy the view and the afternoon. I don't know of many places that are better to end a hike at.
So true, so true! :)

joec
09-02-2012, 11:05
I am planning on doing this hike, southbound from Fontana in a couple of weeks. I have a buddy that wants to come along and he will be camping in a tent. I camp in a hammock. That brings me back to an old problem, having to stop at flat spots suitable for tents. We will start the hike late on the first day. Are there tent sites about 3-4 miles in for the first camp spot or do we have to get to Cable Gap Shelter? Are there tent sites along the way south of Stecoah Gap for the 2nd nite camp? I was planning on doing a short first day, a long 2nd day and come out on the third day and need to tent camp whenever we get tired or it gets late.

Aquonehostel
09-02-2012, 13:05
You can park free at Aquone Hostel, we will get you to your start-point 828 321 2340 www.aquonecabins.com/at.html

WMR
09-02-2012, 13:34
Joec, we did this hike northbound last summer and did not camp at shelters. Southbound, you come to a campsite about 4 miles from the Dam, very visible, right by stream, just before the last climb up to Walker Gap. Locust Grove Gap is a also a great campsite, with water - it's marked, about 3 miles after Stecoah Gap

HooKooDooKu
09-02-2012, 21:31

I'm not familier with NOC, but I can say there isn't much of any thing at Fontana other than the gift show and (I think) some public showers. The nearest town with

Papa D
09-02-2012, 21:56
10K is right about Fontana - with the exception of the place to park and the gift shop, there is nothing there in terms of camping and hiker services - NOC is much more welcoming for that