PDA

View Full Version : TOO Much Alone Time Going SOBO?

ParkRat09
08-30-2012, 17:53
Thru-hiking next year and leaning heavily toward a SOBO trip. Mostly because I have been hiking the Smokies for 7+ years and I think it would be awesome to make that one of the very last legs of my trip. I also live about 2.5 hours from Springer so logistically it makes sense. I like the idea of more alone time on the trail, a smaller group of ppl going south and gettin ME and DE done first. My only concern is TOO much alone time on the trail. What's everyone's take on that?

yellowsirocco
08-30-2012, 18:04
Everybody is different and that is really something that only you can answer. Personally SOBO is too lonely for me.

scree
08-30-2012, 18:09
For the social types, it's not uncommon to hike alone all day and then meet up with a group at night. I don't see too many people hiking in packs since its really hard to sync one other person's pace, let alone the paces of several people over distance. You're likely to be most alone or most crowded at night. That said, you definitely will see a lot fewer people in general headed south, which to me is perhaps the greatest benefit. Have you ever spent an entire week without uttering a word to another person? If so, were you cool with it? If not, how do you think you would feel in that situation? Whjat if it extended out to a month? That would work fine for me, but there are lots of people who need constant interaction and would consider a day without seeing other people very depressing. If you're one of those, even NOBO might be tough in certain parts.

Lone Wolf
08-30-2012, 18:09
i went SOBO 14 years ago starting the end of june. was never alone at shelter areas. but there weren't the hordes like NOBOs. go south, you'll love it

Durtydan
08-30-2012, 18:11
I love time alone. gives you time to think why you did the thru hike in the first place. you will run into people at the shelters early on and poss up till the 1000 mile mark. bring a camera and do video blogs and such to keep yourself occupied and check comments on videos so even tho you are alone, you have many people online watching your progress and showing support.

Kryptonite
08-30-2012, 18:23
Also a factor is that if you have a smart phone, you will probably be texting or talking to family/friends at the end of the day frequently. Trail is quite different from what it was 14 yrs ago.

ParkRat09
08-30-2012, 20:14
I just want to make sure there is a good mix of alone and interaction. If there are usually people at the shelters I'd be good with that but I'd rather not go days or weeks at a time without seeing anyone for sure

Lone Wolf
08-30-2012, 20:39
you'll see someone daily

Papa D
08-30-2012, 20:59
I was very lonely at the end of my SOBO but it was long ago - - now, the SOBOS are a proud little crew - you will see someone every day that you know (more or less) unless you start late and finish very late (Nov / Dec) - - if you finish in October or early November like most SOBOS do, you'll have a great time.

Kaptain Kangaroo
08-31-2012, 21:13
The majority of people on the trail are not thru-hikers, so the argument about NOBO vs SOBO & crowds is a bit pointless. Plus, if you are going SOBO you are travelling in the opposite direction to the NOBO "hordes" so you will actually see more of them than they will see of each other. On my NOBO hike I only ran into one other NOBO thru-hiker between Salisbury CT and Katahdin.... but I saw probably 100 SOBO's

Sure, the trail in Georgia is pretty crowded in March, but so is the 100 mile wilderness in July.

You can easily control how many people you are around by deciding whether or not to camp at/near shelters. It's your hike, you can make it whatever you want............. either way it is an awesome experience.

IrishBASTARD
08-31-2012, 22:15
ParkRat, Would suggest a flip-flop from Harpers to Maine then back again...just an idea.

ParkRat09
09-03-2012, 01:51
The majority of people on the trail are not thru-hikers, so the argument about NOBO vs SOBO & crowds is a bit pointless. Plus, if you are going SOBO you are travelling in the opposite direction to the NOBO "hordes" so you will actually see more of them than they will see of each other. On my NOBO hike I only ran into one other NOBO thru-hiker between Salisbury CT and Katahdin.... but I saw probably 100 SOBO's

Sure, the trail in Georgia is pretty crowded in March, but so is the 100 mile wilderness in July.

You can easily control how many people you are around by deciding whether or not to camp at/near shelters. It's your hike, you can make it whatever you want............. either way it is an awesome experience.

MAkes sense thanks!

Marta
09-03-2012, 10:10
The alone time as a SOBO comes later in the fall. Once hunting season starts in earnest the casual hiking crowds dwindle to just about zero. Attrition amongst the SOBOs has also reduced the population to few and far between.

If you're hiking the AT to find out what you're made of, this is your chance.

Low Step
09-03-2012, 11:57
I thru-hiked Sobo in 2010, from the end of July to the end of November. At the end of my trip, there was too much alone time.

ParkRat09
09-03-2012, 23:46
I thru-hiked Sobo in 2010, from the end of July to the end of November. At the end of my trip, there was too much alone time.

If I did mid june to mid october would I run into the same problem?

Marta
09-04-2012, 08:11
If I did mid june to mid october would I run into the same problem?

Basically it depends on you and your hiking style. There are SOBOs who form hiking partnerships and stick together for their entire trip. To them the partnership is more important than whatever individual choices they might make that the group wouldn't make. Someone in the group wants to stop short one day; they all stop short so they can stay together. There are plenty of SOBOs who do this and don't have a lot of alone time.

The thing about going SOBO is that if you don't form a partnership or group, you will have lots of alone time because there won't be SOBOs a day ahead of you or behind you. It's rare for NOBOs in the normal hiking season to show up at a shelter and not find other NOBOs there. Only the ones who sart early and/or hike fast experience that. For SOBOs in the fall and winter it's shocking to find another SOBO there...unless you are part of an intentional partnership.

People like me who had a lot of alone time did so because of choices we made. And even the "loners" see quite a bit of the same people in the first half of the hike. Later on attrition sets in and other hikers get scarce.

wornoutboots
09-04-2012, 13:34
If you're hiking the AT to find out what you're made of, this is your chance.

totally agree!! I section hike & especially in the Winter I won't see anyone for days at a time. It's Definately interesting & will teach you alot about yourself!