PDA

View Full Version : Titanium Fry Pan?

sterling98
08-30-2012, 22:47
Hi, I'm in search of a titanium fry pan that's maybe 7-10 inches. I have this little one that is way to small to cook anything decent in. So, if anyone know of someplace I could buy something like this, or has one they would sell, please let me know!

Thanks

Stir Fry
08-30-2012, 23:12
Try this:
http://www.amazon.com/Woll-Titanium-11-Inch-Detachable-Handle/dp/B002A04IN8/ref=pd_sim_k_1

Odd Man Out
08-30-2012, 23:33
Try this:
http://www.amazon.com/Woll-Titanium-11-Inch-Detachable-Handle/dp/B002A04IN8/ref=pd_sim_k_1

I hadn't see that brand before so I checked out the manufacturer's site. It seems that this is really an aluminum pan with some sort of Ti based non-stick coating.

Evernew makes a Ti fry pan that is 8" in diameter
http://www.evernewamerica.com/ECA443.htm
However, every on-line retailer I checked was out of stock.

Timinator
08-31-2012, 01:29
I'm not the end all expert but to my knowledge Evernew makes the lightest and highest quality pots and pans. As you said they are out of stock everywhere, don't know whats up with that. I honestly can't find any light weight pans in online existence, I think you might be stuck with pots.

sterling98
08-31-2012, 06:54
Ok, thanks. Well, I've found a few good options and I can always haul a Frybake type pan if I need too.

grayfox
08-31-2012, 11:35
I know you asked for Ti--but in my experience, ti doesn't makea very good material for frying because it tends to burn in spots unless you're really carefull. It also tends to be quite expensive and not all that light if it has a handle of any kind.

I would recommend the MSR Blacklite Frying Pan on closeout at REI for under $7. You need one of those clamp handles for it or a tiny channellock pliers works too. Mine has proved very durable. Also, I have the small Open Country 1 qt pot w/lid also on sale now for $7. The two together are a great light weight inexpensive option for most needs.

Odd Man Out
08-31-2012, 20:58
I'm not the end all expert but to my knowledge Evernew makes the lightest and highest quality pots and pans. As you said they are out of stock everywhere, don't know whats up with that. I honestly can't find any light weight pans in online existence, I think you might be stuck with pots.

Their factory and HQ were destroyed (or heavily damaged) by the earthquake/tsunami in Japan. I guess it is taking some time to get production back up.

Franco
09-05-2012, 20:37
titanium does not spread the heat all that well (as pointed out above) so maybe you would just end up with a scorch pan .
Same thing at home. A thin frypan does not work but you can get away with a thin pot.
(I use Ti but only to boil water)
Franco

Franco
09-05-2012, 20:47
Take a look at the MSR Flex Skillet. 9" wide ,7oz (no experience with it...)

chiefiepoo
09-05-2012, 21:46
Recntly took an MSR flex skillet out to enhance my backcountry feasting. It is the most non stick utensil I've experienced and it is just under 6oz. With some water only pancake mix, precooked bacon and thimbleberries I could, on occasion, break away from the usual boring breakfast stuff. It cleaned up with a wipe from a bandana after cooking up this fine meal.17328

Franco
09-06-2012, 18:08
memo to oneself :

pop in to see Chiefiepoo for breakfast

Odd Man Out
09-06-2012, 21:16
...With some water only pancake mix, precooked bacon and thimbleberries I could, on occasion, break away from the usual boring breakfast stuff. ...

Where do you get thimbleberries? We have been looking for those for a long time. Very hard to find.

Wise Old Owl
09-06-2012, 21:20
Stir Fry nails it....

chiefiepoo
09-06-2012, 21:48
You'd be welcome, Franco, at Glacier NP next year. Found these thimble berries in abundance along the Grinnell Lake trail out of Many Glacier at about 5,000 ft elevation. Huckleberries were past prime in mid August when I was there. I also pick when I'm at Isle Royale in early August. I carry 6oz of honey as a sweetener / flavoring and make the topping in camp with 1 1/2 cups of berries and 2 oz each of honey and water. Boil the mix and pour. No nails, but a few trout made it into the pan.

etboy
09-07-2012, 02:18
Thanks for the heads up there Mr Fox. Just picked up my frying pan thanks to you . Merci.
E.T.