PDA

View Full Version : Question for the Sawyer ILF junkies

treesloth
08-31-2012, 10:55
I have an MSR gravity filter system (the red bag one), which I love. I'd like to update the standard filter it came with to a SILF, the 'lifetime' (1MM gal) guarantee seems pretty sweet.

I tried to find out about the long(er) term storage for it, to no avail. So here it is - after backwashing, is bleach-treated water to be filtered through it like in my current system? This is a filter for life, I would like to make sure i can keep it that way if I decide to dive in.

Thanks!

jakedatc
08-31-2012, 11:04
I have an MSR gravity filter system (the red bag one), which I love. I'd like to update the standard filter it came with to a SILF, the 'lifetime' (1MM gal) guarantee seems pretty sweet.

I tried to find out about the long(er) term storage for it, to no avail. So here it is - after backwashing, is bleach-treated water to be filtered through it like in my current system? This is a filter for life, I would like to make sure i can keep it that way if I decide to dive in.

Thanks!

Says on my Squeeze to fill 1 cap full of bleach and add to 1L water in the dirty side. filter some of that through, close filter cap, let it sit wet for 1hr then drain and air dry.

not sure how you would stop the gravity one from filtering though..

treesloth
08-31-2012, 11:26
Says on my Squeeze to fill 1 cap full of bleach and add to 1L water in the dirty side. filter some of that through, close filter cap, let it sit wet for 1hr then drain and air dry.

Sounds relatively the same. On my system (and I'm sure most gravity-based systems) there is a little plastic thing that sits on the clean-side line that you can pinch and it locks down and shuts off the flow.

Thanks for the info.

Odd Man Out
08-31-2012, 14:50

Just raise the level of the outlet hose so it is above the filter and at the same level of inlet reservoir. When the water level is the same on both sides, the flow stops.

jakedatc
08-31-2012, 15:11
That'll work. I think it also suggests running a liter or two of clean water through it before you head out on the next trip after it has been stored too.