PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain it to me?

rich5665
08-31-2012, 11:01
In the past year I have asked four friends if they'd be interested in hiking the NJ AT with me, all four are New Jersey natives and have flat out told me that they will not hike in New Jersey. Is there any particular reason why? I know this is the most densely populated state, but I think we have some great hiking trails.

hikerboy57
08-31-2012, 11:04
Where do your frienfs hike? NJhas some beautiful sections.

10-K
08-31-2012, 11:05
I think they just don't want to go hiking....

rich5665
08-31-2012, 11:13

New York, Vermont and New Hampshire are the go to destinations.

rich5665
08-31-2012, 11:14
I think they just don't want to go hiking....

All four hike a minimum of once a month, just not in the Garden State. I never get a real reason either, just that they don't hike in NJ

coach lou
08-31-2012, 11:16

I agree, I've been to all the go to spots, and all over Montana. I was very surprized at NJ and I can't wait to go back and finish!

Moose2001
08-31-2012, 11:24
afraid of ticks and lyme?

Cookerhiker
I grew up in Northern NJ but did most of my childhood hiking in NY (Harriman Park) because it was closer. But I agree that the NJ AT and other trails are good hiking.

When did you ask them to hike? NJ's best seasons are Spring and Fall. If you asked me to hike NJ in the hot, humid, mosquito-ridden summer, I wouldn't go either. Made that mistake once.

Sarcasm the elf
In the past year I have asked four friends if they'd be interested in hiking the NJ AT with me, all four are New Jersey natives and have flat out told me that they will not hike in New Jersey. Is there any particular reason why? I know this is the most densely populated state, but I think we have some great hiking trails.Having been born in Connecticut, I was raised to hate New Jersey and everything about. That said, the A.T. in your state is absolutely beautiful. I hiked that section last year and it was one of my favorite hikes to date. The folks in Vernon were wonderful, the boardwalk section was very cool and the entire Delaware Watergap Recreation area was a blast, especially the southern ridge where we were buzzed by a glider plane on the mountain close to the PA border. Tell your friends that if New Jersey managed to win over a lifelong Connecticut resident, then they will more than likely have a blast.

tdoczi
08-31-2012, 11:58
as someone who lives in NJ and does think the trail here is pretty good, i can maybe understand it. it really depends on context. if youre planning a once a year multi day backpacking trip and youve all never been to the white mountains or shenandoah before and youre willing to drive, i wouldnt pick NJ either. on the other hand, if you keep going to central PA every month and you cant convince them to try Nj instead, then yeah i dont get it.

tiptoe
08-31-2012, 12:00
Also born in Connecticut, and we used to laugh at New Jersey being called The Garden State, especially while holding our noses driving through the industrialized areas on the pikes. And so my New Jersey section hike was a total surprise. I highly recommend it for beautiful views, rolling terrain, the bird sanctuary, the boardwalk, and blueberries and bears. Sarcasm the elf has it exactly right.

Pathfinder1
08-31-2012, 12:05
Hi...

Would these 'friends' be willing to hike elsewhere with you?

kayak karl
08-31-2012, 12:50
i have found that if a person is hesitant to do something, but i talk them into it anyway, i always regret it :)
maybe you should ask the 4 friends Why? all we can do is guess.

Sailing_Faith
08-31-2012, 13:14
i have found that if a person is hesitant to do something, but i talk them into it anyway, i always regret it :)....

Exactly. It sounds like you need to find some different friends (at least to hike in NJ). Or, you could go it alone and have a great story to tell them when you get back. :)

jfarrell04
08-31-2012, 13:53
maybe they enjoy a good 'ol campfire when hiking?

Pedaling Fool
08-31-2012, 14:33
Jersey Devil....maybe....:dance

Odd Man Out
08-31-2012, 14:39
Maybe you just need new friends.

Aquonehostel
08-31-2012, 14:56
Hiked NJ in 2010, found the people very friendly, hiking was great too, lots of bears nice to see them in the forest and not on the dinner plate!