PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been to Roaring Brook or Chimney Pond campgrounds in Baxter?

JoshAuerbach
08-31-2012, 11:43
How long can you stay at either of the campgrounds? Planning a trip for 7-10 days in Baxter. Was thinking drive into Baxter and to Roaring Brook Campground and stay a few nights at Roaring Brook and hike around and then backpack to Chimney Pond for a few nights to hike Katahdin and then maybe back to Roaring Brook for a night or two before leaving. Is that doable?

Slo-go'en
08-31-2012, 11:53
I don't know off hand, but you could go to thier web site and find out. Try searching for Baxter State park to find the web site.

Be advised you need to get reservations to camp in the park and Chimmey pond is usually booked for the season by early January when they start accepting reservations. You need to plan well in advance to get a spot in Baxter. If you expect to go this fall, good luck!

JoshAuerbach
08-31-2012, 12:26
Their website doesn't really say anything about how long you can stay at the sites. I'm planning for next September. They only let you reserve 4 months ahead of time they say.

DavidNH
08-31-2012, 14:05
How long can you stay at either of the campgrounds? Planning a trip for 7-10 days in Baxter. Was thinking drive into Baxter and to Roaring Brook Campground and stay a few nights at Roaring Brook and hike around and then backpack to Chimney Pond for a few nights to hike Katahdin and then maybe back to Roaring Brook for a night or two before leaving. Is that doable?

Josh.. First be aware that camping in Baxter isn't cheep. I think it's near 30 bucks a night (perhaps 20 if you are tenting and not using lean-tos). but beyond that you need reservations and well in advance. Your chances of finding a spot at Chimney Pond are slim to none. I haven't been there myself but no that it's one of the more popular campgrounds, especially given it's spectacular location. You can climb Katadin, even do the knife edge from Roaring Brook.

You might also want to consider staying at Katahdin Stream (located right on the AT) or even going to Kidney Pond.

I believe the website you want to visit is www.baxterstateparkauthority.com Tab on left, reservations, then click onto how to make a reservation and you will see availability for campsites.

Good luck and have fun!

DavidNH

Migrating Bird
08-31-2012, 17:06
When in doubt, pick up the phone and call, they have always been very pleasant answered all of my questions.

weary
08-31-2012, 22:56
[/QUOTE=DavidNH;1331935].....Your chances of finding a spot at Chimney Pond are slim to none. I haven't been there myself but know that it's one of the more popular campgrounds, especially given it's spectacular location. You can climb Katadin, even do the knife edge from Roaring Brook.[QUOTE]

It's not quite that difficult. My party of six got reservations for three nights at Chimney in mid July. We applied a week after the four month deadline for when reservations were possible. We didn't get exactly what we wanted. Our seven day stay in the park was delayed by one day. But it was a great trip. Eight stayed the first night at Roaring Brook. Then we split. two stayed at Roaring Brook. The rest moved to Chimney. Then we all stayed together at Roaring Brook for a night. Finally we all moved to South Branch Pond for a final two nights.

JoshAuerbach
09-01-2012, 10:13
I assume if I'm not picky about which lean-to and I book as soon as possible in advance, then I won't have any trouble finding two or three open nights in September at Chimney Pond.

weary
09-01-2012, 22:51
I assume if I'm not picky about which lean-to and I book as soon as possible in advance, then I won't have any trouble finding two or three open nights in September at Chimney Pond.
That's generally been my experience, especially if I stay away from the first part of a weekend.

Shutterbug
09-02-2012, 16:29

The more flexible you are, the greater your chances. I have been to Chimney Pond. It is a great camp site and is well worth the effort. Your plan is a good one.