PDA

View Full Version : Gossamer Gorilla

Buckeye022212
08-31-2012, 19:09
I am revising my gear. Out with the old in with new. My main reason is my old setup is way too heavy. I bought it when I first got into hiking and it is no longer needed. I am now obsessed with every oz. I am prepping for a thru hike April first 2013. The first purchase for the trip may be the Gossamer Gorilla. I like the pack and the weight. Has anyone had any experience with this pack. It is the first of the essential purchases ( pack, tent, bag, pad, and stove) I will be making and breaking in the months to come. I am prepared with a list of light weight gear I believe to be worthwhile and will be purchasing this week. Once acquired I will be spending the months to come on the trail putting it to test as I live an hour away from springer. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank You

10-K
08-31-2012, 19:33
I just finished hiking the Long Trail with a Gorilla and have only good things to say about it.. Well... there is one thing - the zipper pull came off the 3rd day of the hike and it was clearly a defect.

The pack carries well and didn't cause any soreness or hot spots.

I don't think it would carry more than 20 lbs .....maybe...... 25 lbs comfortably. At my heaviest I think I might have had 18 lbs in mine and it was perfect.

SouthMark
08-31-2012, 21:19
I have used the older Gorilla since it was introduced and the Mariposa Plus before that. I have not purchased the 2012 model even though it is now made of stronger material because my older one is going strong. It is the most comfortable pack I have ever owned and I have owned quite a few and actually still own about eight. I also carry a Gossamer Gear Murmur quite often.

10-K
08-31-2012, 21:32
I just looked at the Gossamer Gear website and they claim the Gorilla is best for under 30 lbs but will handle up to 35 "just fine".

Personally, I think that is overly optimistic and think 25 would be the upper limit for a decent carry. It is a relatively small pack with 2400 ci in the main body.

SouthMark
08-31-2012, 22:09
Back in May I did a three day conditioning trip in preparation for a 141 mile section hike in Maine.I loaded my Gorilla down with 34 lbs (mostly water). My legs did not like carrying the weight but the pack was fine, not uncomfortable at all. I use a GG sleep light pad in the pad pocket instead of the sit light pad that comes with it. For my needs I do not consider it small but actually too large for most of my trips, that is why I have the Murmur. In Maine I think that my maximum weight was less than 20 lbs.

Country Roads
09-02-2012, 17:46
Been using mine for a couple of years. It carries nice (I use a size small with the narrower shoulder straps). It is holding up well. I tore a hole in the mesh front pocket on the first hike, but sewed it up and all is well. I agree that keeping the weight around 20 pounds or so is best. I have carried up to 25 pound or so for short distances and it was fine, but still is most comfortable at around 20 or so. I usually carry around 15 pounds or less for most trips. I have no experience as to the 2012 models though. They look nice and seem well thought out, but are a bit heavier.

attroll
09-03-2012, 22:04
Moved this thread/topic to the "General Gear Talk" forums.