PDA

View Full Version : What should be packed?

Virginia Archer
08-31-2012, 22:36
I'm just a beginner and still Gathering gear now. But not preparing for a thru-hike. Just a Weekend Warrior hiker, up to maybe a week at a time! I know the necessities, but is there a Link to what to pack for a weekend/ week hike?

Gear so far:
Osprey ather 70 with Hydration bladder
Pack Rain Cover
Sleeping bag
Sleeping pad
Jet boil with fuel
water bottle
MSR water treatment (Pump)
bug spray

Weight without water or food so far is 12.24 pounds

I know water/food will up that a few pounds since I like to eat and I can drink more water than a Camel. Also a Few pounds for a Second set of Sleeping clothes/warmer/rain gear.

Is there anything ya'll would recommend that may have slipped under the radar?

Archer:confused:

jakedatc
08-31-2012, 22:43
http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=9466

Here is my list of things PACKED minus a tent (in between tents at the moment)

not listed - food, fuel, clothes worn, hiking poles

Virginia Archer
08-31-2012, 23:05
http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=9466

Here is my list of things PACKED minus a tent (in between tents at the moment)

not listed - food, fuel, clothes worn, hiking poles

Thanks Speedy. But it says summer pack.....why the down Jacket? Looks like a Few small objects that I have overlooked that are on your list. Few other things I do need to pick-up to. I'm the same way about the tent. I have a decent 2 man eureka dome tent slightly heavier than the kelty's, MSR's out there but thinking of getting another lighter 1 or 2 man dome for when the wifey and daughter go out with me I can have my own man shack!

jakedatc
08-31-2012, 23:31
Good catch, that should be on my fall list. i swap the wool sweater for the down puffy in the fall. Depending on the trip I won't take the sweater either

I am hoping to get a Lightheart Solo when she opens back up in Sept. the Duo also looks awesome for a 2 person. Tarptent has a few cool 2 person tents like the Stratospire and double rainbow. they use trekking poles to set up so it saves weight not having regular poles. also take a bit of practice to set up. 3lb for 2 person is a pretty good goal.

Feral Bill
09-01-2012, 00:42
Add a cook pot or two (cheap aluminum is fine), some line for bear hangs and whatever, maps, compass, a lighter, flashlight, small knife, a few Bandaids, tent or tarp, some moleskin, less clothing than you think you need (Goodwill is your friend), and a positive attitude. Go have fun.

Hodie16
09-01-2012, 07:44
REI.com and Backpacker.com both have basic pack list seasonal and duration. One good tip a packer gave me several years ago was to go thru the pack after a trip and make a pile of items that you did not use. You would be surprised at the items you can leave out on your next trip (except first aide kits)....

Spokes
09-01-2012, 07:47
Here's a tried and true cold weather pack list for thru hiking. I'd add a trash compactor bag as a liner. Gloves and fleece beanie are givens. Tweak for summer and go even lighter.

http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4

I like the gear list 10-K used on his recent Long Trail End-2-End hike too:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?87295-Long-Trail-wrapup-report&p=1327664&viewfull=1#post1327664

He used AquaMira as his water treatment option (when he decided to treat).

Cheers!

Cookerhiker
09-01-2012, 09:12
Personally I'd skip the bug spray.

For sleeping, do you need a pillow? I don't mean in a literal sense but do you have enough extra clothes to make one? And re clothes, unless you're hiking in mid-summer at low elevation, a sock hat of some sort is a good idea and doesn't take much space or add weight. And it keeps the bugs off your head.

When you're ready to consider food, the advantage of a weekend hike (1-2 nights) is you can bring fresh fruits & vegetables.

10-K
09-01-2012, 09:30
I have a mental system of making sure I don't forget anything.... When I'm packing I think:

1. Food (food, water bottles, etc.)
2. Clothing (clothes, layers, coat, hat, etc.)
3. Shelter (tent, bag, pad)
4. Toiletries (toilet paper, sanitizer, ibuprofen, toothbrush/floss/paste, bandaids, neosporin)
5. Batteries (headlamp, phone)

As I pull all that stuff together it reminds of of anything else I've forgotten.

Virginia Archer
09-01-2012, 11:10
http://www.eurekamilitarytents.com/tents/combat.cfm

This is the tent I have now. (Thanks Uncle Sam USMC) I definately want to find something with a few less pounds. 8.5 pounds is quite big!

jakedatc
09-01-2012, 11:33
Personally I'd skip the bug spray.

For sleeping, do you need a pillow? I don't mean in a literal sense but do you have enough extra clothes to make one? And re clothes, unless you're hiking in mid-summer at low elevation, a sock hat of some sort is a good idea and doesn't take much space or add weight. And it keeps the bugs off your head.

When you're ready to consider food, the advantage of a weekend hike (1-2 nights) is you can bring fresh fruits & vegetables.

If you pack correctly you will not have that many extra clothes. Warm clothes tend to add more warmth for their weight than another x degrees on a sleeping bag and are multiuse. so i have an Exped Air pillow that weighs 2oz or something.

Spokes
09-01-2012, 12:30

This is the tent I have now. (Thanks Uncle Sam USMC) I definately want to find something with a few less pounds. 8.5 pounds is quite big!

Hmmmmm................

Mags
09-01-2012, 12:52
I wrote this for a beginners trips I used to organize. It is on the conservative side...but it is meant for beginners after all. :)
http://www.pmags.com/backpacking-a-beginners-primer

As you hike more, you'll find a system that works for you!

(side note: Adrianna is finally done with her online Masters classes for this section...and she wants to go to the aquarium. Oy vey!)

Creek Dancer
09-01-2012, 13:52

Wow, that's crazy heavy for a two man tent. You should be able to get under 4 pounds for a two man tent, but you will probably have to drop some moolah. Although, I have seen decent tents on craigslist for pennies on the dollar.

Virginia Archer
09-01-2012, 15:54
Yeah that tent is at least 12 years old and only been used maybe 4 times but its still in excellent shape. I guess it got lost in my stoage shed for years but when we moved 2 years ago I found it and pulled it out. Set it up and checked it over...A+ condition!! Me and my daughter used it 2 weeks ago when we went on a Overnight River Float! Just seemed heavy so when I looked it up that confirmed that it was at least 4 pounds to heavy!

Old Hiker
09-01-2012, 21:29
Good catch, that should be on my fall list. i swap the wool sweater for the down puffy in the fall. Depending on the trip I won't take the sweater either

I am hoping to get a Lightheart Solo when she opens back up in Sept. the Duo also looks awesome for a 2 person. Tarptent has a few cool 2 person tents like the Stratospire and double rainbow. they use trekking poles to set up so it saves weight not having regular poles. also take a bit of practice to set up. 3lb for 2 person is a pretty good goal.

She's back and taking orders. Just checked. Depending on how tall you are, check out the SoLong 6. I also did a "First Impressions" review in the gear forum. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?86824-LightHeart-Gear-SoLong-6-First-Impressions 2 pounds.

Wow, that's crazy heavy for a two man tent. You should be able to get under 4 pounds for a two man tent, but you will probably have to drop some moolah. Although, I have seen decent tents on craigslist for pennies on the dollar.

Keep an eye out on Steep and Cheap - sometimes the ALPS Zephyr 1.0 - 1 person - is on for about $70. I've also seen the Zephyr 2.0 - 2 person - for about $100, I think. I used the Zephyr 1 for my 500 mile attempt this year. 3 pounds, 14 ounces, but it was a great tent.

10-K
09-01-2012, 21:35

I carried my LH Solo cuben on my LT e2e.. Great tent, low weight.

jakedatc
09-01-2012, 22:15
Woo! I am trying to figure out if the Wedge is worth the extra bucks.. might be nice to have a bit more door coverage area?

Old Hiker I am only 5' 7-8 so i don't need the Solong extra space. the Solo i think would be big enough.

10K i saw a AT SOBO named Ducky with the Cuben too.. that is what got me interested. the cuben is sexy for sure... care to send me 200 extra bux? :)

10-K
09-01-2012, 22:25
I'm 6'2" and the solo has way enough space for me, my pack and all my gear. I didn't get the wedge....

It's worth the extra $$$.. :)

jakedatc
09-01-2012, 22:30
The cuben or the wedge? i'm mostly unemployed at the moment so that won't happen without donations :)

Virginia Archer
09-02-2012, 00:14
I've been looking at the kELTY Salida 2. Says Pack weight on that is 3.12.

jakedatc
09-02-2012, 01:04
I'm 6'2" and the solo has way enough space for me, my pack and all my gear. I didn't get the wedge....

It's worth the extra $$$.. :)

Thought it over tonight and ordered the Solo no extras. I have some 3mm plastic to use for a groundsheet.

10-K
09-02-2012, 05:48
Thought it over tonight and ordered the Solo no extras. I have some 3mm plastic to use for a groundsheet.

That's what I meant... I got the cuben with no extras and I thought the cuben was worth the extra $$$ over the sil. Either way though it's a great tent.

Have you ever seen a Tarptent Rainbow?

jakedatc
09-02-2012, 08:35
only in pictures.

Virginia Archer
09-02-2012, 10:05
Tent proiblem solved.....ordered a Marmot eros 1 from someone on here last night. Looks like he posted it last night and luck for me I jumped right on it! Even lighter than I was looking for but seems fine for when its just me.....if I carry my daughter or my wife and daughter, I'll use the 2 person.

HikerMom58
09-02-2012, 10:14
Tent proiblem solved.....ordered a Marmot eros 1 from someone on here last night. Looks like he posted it last night and luck for me I jumped right on it! Even lighter than I was looking for but seems fine for when its just me.....if I carry my daughter or my wife and daughter, I'll use the 2 person.

Well, there you go, Virginia Archer :) Just taking a spin around WB this morning- it seems like it's a good day!! Happy Labor Day Weekend!!

10-K
09-02-2012, 10:41
only in pictures.

Well it's a moot point now that you ordered your tent but I have a rainbow and a solo in cuben and there are times when I choose to take the rainbow even though the solo is much lighter.

Then I guess if I had a solo made out of silnylon instead of cuben it wouldn't matter so never mind. :)

Virginia Archer
09-02-2012, 12:43
Well, there you go, Virginia Archer :) Just taking a spin around WB this morning- it seems like it's a good day!! Happy Labor Day Weekend!!

Thanks Mom, you have a wonderful Labor Day Weekend yourself.

Rasty
09-02-2012, 13:03
That's what I meant... I got the cuben with no extras and I thought the cuben was worth the extra $$$ over the sil. Either way though it's a great tent.

Have you ever seen a Tarptent Rainbow?

10K - I have the double rainbow which I love. It's a palace when going solo and comfortable with two when daughter #2 is hiking with me. Dry and easy to set up. The single is the same tent but with a narrower floor. Saves 6oz.