PDA

View Full Version : Help me Plan my Trail

demersw
09-01-2012, 11:51
Hello, next summer (2013) I'm planning on taking about a month off and hiking a section of the AT on my own or with a friend, not sure yet. Just wondering if anyone had the best section to hike and the route I would take for that month that would have the best scenic views and best trails. Any help would be appreciated.

Cookerhiker
09-01-2012, 11:59
Since you're talking summer, I suggest starting NOBO at Pawling in NY which is accessible via train. It's 300 miles to Hanover NH. Assuming you're not taking many if any zero days and hiking a good pace i.e. > 10 mpd, you should be able to continue on to the White Mountains and cap your hike with an ascent up Mt. Washington and a descent down to Pinkham Notch where you can catch a bus to the Boston AMTRAK and airport. You'll enjoy the lakes and ponds of the North and the spectacular above-treeline setting of the Whites.

Moose2001
09-01-2012, 12:21
sounds like a hell of a good plan!

Blissful
09-02-2012, 19:21
Personally I would do Virginia for a first time hike out. Grayson Highlands is lovely as are the rolling VA landscape, etc. The Whites, while scenic, is very tough hiking. I do like Vermont though.

Blissful
09-02-2012, 19:24
I did see you want to do a summer hike, though. If you can do it in May, VA is lovely with the bloomimg mt laurel.