PDA

View Full Version : It's Sept 1, the Class of 2013 is 6 months out, give or take

SCGamecock
09-01-2012, 11:56
Just saying......
You wake up, get hyped on coffee
You read WhiteBlaze to see who's complaining about what
You wonder why some are always complaining
You read about that one tidbit that might change your setup
You realize you're 6 months out from living your dream
You get your workout in..... bike, stairs, treadmill, hike, weights
You weigh a few things
You surf the web for something lighter
You checkout some summit photos

It's getting real

Can you say obsession?

Dash
09-01-2012, 14:56
I feel the same as you.....starting Jan 1st. 2013 becoming more real everyday!! Doubt and inspiration starting to balance.

OzJacko
09-02-2012, 05:49
You wake up, get hyped on coffee - go to work :p
You read WhiteBlaze to see who's complaining about what - read the Cyber Cafe to chill out
You wonder why some are always complaining - Think MAD magazine, Alfred E Neuman - "What me worry?"
You read about that one tidbit that might change your setup - Read Mad magazine and not worry.
You realize you're 6 months out from living your dream - apologise again to my better half that I'm going.
You get your workout in..... bike, stairs, treadmill, hike, weights - have lunch at KFC.:)
You weigh a few things - Consider a pack with a bigger hip belt.
You surf the web for something lighter - Surf the web for something warmer - You guys live in a COLD country!
You checkout some summit photos - Go for a short hike and take more photos.

It's getting real - It's bloody real.

Can you say obsession? - I've read all the books, done with all the obsession, I'm just chillin till it's TIME!

CHEERS!
Seeya there mate!:D

10-K
09-02-2012, 06:34
Add one more:

You realize it's over and all that planning, work, and effort is no more.

At this point you'll either become a hiker and at the very least you'll have a great story to tell the rest of your life.

OzJacko
09-02-2012, 06:39
Add one more:

You realize it's over and all that planning, work, and effort is no more.

At this point you'll either become a hiker and at the very least you'll have a great story to tell the rest of your life.
Well...
The AT in 2013 is locked in,
The Camino in 2014 is heavily pencilled in,
The Overland Track in Tasmania, the Hadrians Wall Walk and Offas Dyke in the UK are waiting for their year to be allocated,
and the Mont Blanc Curcuit will fit in there somewhere too.
Throw in at least another full end 2 end on the Bibbulmun and a big section of the Australian Alps Walk and I reckon I'm still going to be planning, working and efforting for a bloody long time to come.:D

OzJacko
09-02-2012, 06:43
''' and by the time I get through all that it'll be time for a 10 year reunion hike with my fellow 2013 AT hikers...:banana

Mulungu
09-02-2012, 07:42
Well...
The AT in 2013 is locked in,
The Camino in 2014 is heavily pencilled in,
The Overland Track in Tasmania, the Hadrians Wall Walk and Offas Dyke in the UK are waiting for their year to be allocated,
and the Mont Blanc Curcuit will fit in there somewhere too.
Throw in at least another full end 2 end on the Bibbulmun and a big section of the Australian Alps Walk and I reckon I'm still going to be planning, working and efforting for a bloody long time to come.:D

Hi Oz
just finished mont blanc this year so that's one down and lots to go. It was awesome, marvellous, outstanding.
doing some rearvh for a long walk in your part of the world hopefully in 2015.
Thinking of trail blazing a 2200 km walk from cape town to Durban next year.

Aah but first things first, let's get this trail beaten and then we can sort out the rest. No harm in dreaming with a cold one in the hand around the Barbie. It's spring and we have the whole summer and in fact Americas summer to look forward to. A whole year of summer. That's great.

OzJacko
09-02-2012, 07:49
Hi Oz
just finished mont blanc this year so that's one down and lots to go. It was awesome, marvellous, outstanding.
doing some rearvh for a long walk in your part of the world hopefully in 2015.
Thinking of trail blazing a 2200 km walk from cape town to Durban next year.

Aah but first things first, let's get this trail beaten and then we can sort out the rest. No harm in dreaming with a cold one in the hand around the Barbie. It's spring and we have the whole summer and in fact Americas summer to look forward to. A whole year of summer. That's great.
Yeah Mulungu - let's knock this one off first.

When you look at a hike in my part of the world consider the Bibbulmun.
It doesn't have the "iconic" status of the Overland Track but it's a damn sight longer (and free) and I would love to see fellow AT hikers come here for a crack at it.
Think of it as an easy and scenic Virginia. Not that Virginia isn't scenic but we have ocean! :)

coach lou
09-02-2012, 08:02
''' and by the time I get through all that it'll be time for a 10 year reunion hike with my fellow 2013 AT hikers...:banana

Oz, I don't see the Intermountain West on that list. Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado...........really awesome part of our country.........okay, it gets real cold there:eek:

OzJacko
09-02-2012, 08:12
Oz, I don't see the Intermountain West on that list. Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado...........really awesome part of our country.........okay, it gets real cold there:eek:
The JMT is on the list but I forgot to include it.
The Camino, the JMT and the Overland Track are all on my wife's list (a bit lower than on my list) so they are pretty well dead certs.
I must admit there is a little bit of me that is considering triple crown, but I'm suppressing it until at least 2015 and then might let myself start thinking it out loud.

coach lou
09-02-2012, 08:44
The JMT is on the list but I forgot to include it.
The Camino, the JMT and the Overland Track are all on my wife's list (a bit lower than on my list) so they are pretty well dead certs.
I must admit there is a little bit of me that is considering triple crown, but I'm suppressing it until at least 2015 and then might let myself start thinking it out loud.

So many beautiful places............so little time!

OzJacko
09-02-2012, 08:59
So many beautiful places............so little time!
Ahh but I go back to my thoughts on another thread about measuring how old you are.
Having so many places to think about is the way to believe you're young.:)

coach lou
09-02-2012, 09:10
Ahh but I go back to my thoughts on another thread about measuring how old you are.
Having so many places to think about is the way to believe you're young.:)

I'm sure you believe as I do, I've been in the prime of life for 35 years now:sun

OzJacko
09-02-2012, 09:12
I must still be young.
I'm flitting between reading WB and watching the Grand Prix.
Still a revhead at heart!

WhiplashEm
09-03-2012, 10:12
Thru-hiking next year has become so burned into my brain that I've started getting my years confused and thinking that it's already 2013 instead of 2012. It's becoming a problem, especially when i have to date my signature on things.

Jeff
09-03-2012, 16:20
Always love to listen to the enthusiam by next years class of hikers. It is indeed the adventure of a lifetime.

Knndyka
09-03-2012, 16:32
Starting March 2013. Real is how it's starting to feel. I seem to have the same symptoms of obsession!

Josh Calhoun
09-04-2012, 13:28
Starting Feb the 16th, i spend more time at work on whiteblaze and trail journals than i actually do work. i spend most evenings walking my dogs with my back pack on. i have ready 6 AT books in the last couple months. i have unpacked and packed my ULA more times than i can count. i am for sure obsessed. having a passion for something is usually the difference between leaving the trail or finishing. its just a waiting game now.

colorado_rob
09-05-2012, 09:30
Nice thoughts. wow. counting the days to mid-April 2013 ! 7 months, 20 work days per month, that's 140 work days. Subtract 12 days of Holidays (xmas, thanksgiving, new years) ... subtract another 15 days for accrued vacation time... maybe a couple/few "sick" days.... wow, only ~110 working days until The Event !

I've probably read the same 6 books, Josh. Now starting some PCT books, just for variety!

Cool thread, thanks.

Josh Calhoun
09-05-2012, 10:08
i havent thought about it like that rob, sounds even sooner then!

ParkRat09
09-05-2012, 20:23
Thru-hiking next year has become so burned into my brain that I've started getting my years confused and thinking that it's already 2013 instead of 2012. It's becoming a problem, especially when i have to date my signature on things.

Hey Whiplashem...you goin NOBO? I live about an hour from u in Chattanooga, TN

ParkRat09
09-05-2012, 20:24
Anyone actually super nervous about their upcoming thru-hike? I AM

RedRunnerJumper
09-05-2012, 20:37
I received a package I ordered and even though it was my SnowPeak, it just feels legit that 2013 is right around the corner for the start of the hike. Any free time I get at work I'm always on WB with my phone. Ahh yesss!

OzJacko
09-06-2012, 03:30
Anyone actually super nervous about their upcoming thru-hike? I AM
Not nervous (maybe being an old f##t helps) but getting really really focussed to the detriment of everything else..

Josh Calhoun
09-06-2012, 09:21
i probably wont be nervous until a few days before i head to Springer. but i am sure it will happen.

Sugarfoot
09-06-2012, 12:21
I've section hiked on the AT for nineteen years, but I've never felt the level of excitement I feel about my upcoming thru. I'm old enough not to wish for time to fly, but I wouldn't object to the next 7-1/2 months speeding up a little.

ATMountainTime
09-06-2012, 12:44
Gamecock, Holla when you get closer my offer still stands for a place to crash and a ride to the trail...and a cold one on the way!

Im EXCITED and Nervous, even with years of outdoor expirience.

Sadly I might have to push back to 2014 due to an unexpected financial hit, but im looking for a 2nd job and maybe still make it to 2013!

colorado_rob
09-06-2012, 13:04
Not nervous (maybe being an old f##t helps) but getting really really focussed to the detriment of everything else.. 56 years old qualifies as an Old Fart?????? I don't THINK so !!! :D

SCGamecock
09-06-2012, 13:09
Gamecock, Holla when you get closer my offer still stands for a place to crash and a ride to the trail...and a cold one on the way!

Im EXCITED and Nervous, even with years of outdoor expirience.

Sadly I might have to push back to 2014 due to an unexpected financial hit, but im looking for a 2nd job and maybe still make it to 2013!

Will do ATMountainTime. Hope you get things worked out for a 2013 thru.

Aquonehostel
09-06-2012, 13:42
We are gearing up for the class of 2013, erecting a new dining room, dog bunk house, and two new camping spots. Drop boxes to: 63 Britannia Drive Aquone, Nantahala NC 28781 828 321 2340 Aquone Hostel www.aquonecabins.com/at.html
Wiggy Thru-hiker 2010, and questions just call.

OzJacko
09-07-2012, 03:16
56 years old qualifies as an Old Fart?????? I don't THINK so !!! :D
At age 40 I was "officially" told by my 3 children that I qualified. Seeing as I now see 40 as young, I figure I must be.
Something for all of the older males to ponder... at what age did the "older woman fantasy" cease to be something appealling??:D

OzJacko
09-07-2012, 03:17
Sorry to have misdirected the thread but I'm afraid it's the only way I can distract myself from thoughts of Springer.

Train Wreck
09-07-2012, 03:58
We are gearing up for the class of 2013, erecting a new dining room, dog bunk house, and two new camping spots. Drop boxes to: 63 Britannia Drive Aquone, Nantahala NC 28781 828 321 2340 Aquone Hostel www.aquonecabins.com/at.html (http://www.aquonecabins.com/at.html)

Hey, nice set up you have there!

OzJacko
09-07-2012, 04:04
Hey, nice set up you have there!
Ditto. Bookmarked!

forrest!
09-07-2012, 09:15
Something for all of the older males to ponder... at what age did the "older woman fantasy" cease to be something appealling??:D

The way I look at it is - the older I get, the larger the pool of women I get to appreciate. There are some fantastic looking 60 year-olds that I never would have glanced at years ago...

Aquonehostel
09-07-2012, 09:22
2013 hikers, if any of your equipment fails, or your need a specific type of cooking fuel or resupply, just call it in 828 321 2340, and we will do our utmost to have it here waiting for you, Aquone Hostel, Nantahla, NC *(Wiggy class of 2010)*

ParkRat09
09-07-2012, 10:40
2013 hikers, if any of your equipment fails, or your need a specific type of cooking fuel or resupply, just call it in 828 321 2340, and we will do our utmost to have it here waiting for you, Aquone Hostel, Nantahla, NC *(Wiggy class of 2010)*

Sounds great thanks! Adding number to my contacts......now!

Cro-Mag
09-07-2012, 13:17
I am counting down the days! It sounds funny, but I had a dream that I was standing on the top of Springer and I am looking down onto a dark forest of trees...it was a very dooming feeling but it made me excited!

I have not told anyone at work about my plans of leaving as of yet. I plan on changing careers, so I will not be asking for time off. It is hard to come to work everyday and not mention anything about this amazing adventure I am preparing for.

"There's a race of men that don't fit in,
A race that can't stay still;
So they break the hearts of kith and kin,
And they roam the world at will.
They range the field and they rove the flood,
And they climb the mountain's crest;
Theirs is the curse of the gypsy blood,
And they don't know how to rest."

- Robert W. Service

Josh Calhoun
09-10-2012, 09:21
We are gearing up for the class of 2013, erecting a new dining room, dog bunk house, and two new camping spots. Drop boxes to: 63 Britannia Drive Aquone, Nantahala NC 28781 828 321 2340 Aquone Hostel www.aquonecabins.com/at.html (http://www.aquonecabins.com/at.html)

i met a couple hikers who stayed there at your hostel and they said it was very nice. glad you left a sign on the trees around wayah or i would never of heard of it.

RED-DOG
09-10-2012, 11:42
Good luck to all you Hopefuls, Thru-hiking the AT is an absolute blast that's why i did it three times, but i plane on having some trail magic out their between Rock Gap- Fontana Dam NC. and remember to have a lot of PATIENCE. RED-DOG