PDA

View Full Version : Source for PCT info

10-K
09-01-2012, 13:09
I'm looking at the PCT for April, 2014... Long way away but I was wondering if there is a site similar to Whiteblaze for the PCT so I could start learning about the trail, how to hike it, etc.

Mags
09-01-2012, 13:27
If I may humbly submit my article, this is a good place to start. Lists forums that may help, too. Currently the best forum is PCT-L ( a listserv) and, believe it or not, here on WB
http://www.pmags.com/pacific-crest-trail-planning-info

10-K
09-01-2012, 13:38
Thanks Mags, I'll check it out.

leaftye
09-01-2012, 15:58
It might help to have a copy of the water report. Water determines the character of the hike, at least for me. I'm always thinking about water in southern California.
http://www.4jeffrey.net/pct/

Save/print a copy now because it may go away as Asabat passed away on a PCT section hike a few weeks ago.

Then there's the PCT-L email list, with archives. I hate searching the archives, so I stay subscribed just because it's easier to search through them in my email client.
http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/pct-l

www.postholer.com has some good info. It used to mirror PCT-L, but I'm not sure if it still does that.

A few differences. Down works better for most of the trail as there's much less humidity and rain, although some people prefer synthetics in the northern stretches. Water. A capacity of up to 4 liters is a good idea in southern California, and you should camel up at water sources. An umbrella is a great idea for sun protection and staying cool, although you can certainly get by without one. Do use some sort of sun protection though.

As far as preparation, I think you don't really need anything more than Yogi's trail guide, Halfmile's maps and Asabat's water report. Other than planning your initial food carry and maybe your first mail drop or two, I don't think you really need to do prior planning to get on the trail as long as your carrying the above materials. One exception might be doing a mail drop to either VVR or MTR.

leaftye
09-01-2012, 15:59
I forgot to add, I'd think that you're pretty much ready. Just get a map and the Yogi guide, and I think you're pretty much ready to go.

10-K
09-01-2012, 18:44
Thanks.. The first hurdle, clearing it with my wife, has been taken care of. I have a serious offer to buy my business so I could retire which would give me the time if I want to go that route.

I'm going to hike the Alabama Georgia Pinhoti trailed this winter and then get serious about planning the PCT hike.

Seems like I'm always planning a hike....

ChinMusic
09-01-2012, 18:51
I'm looking at the PCT for April, 2014... Long way away but I was wondering if there is a site similar to Whiteblaze for the PCT so I could start learning about the trail, how to hike it, etc.

I got the PCT penciled in for 2014 as well. First things first......

10-K
09-01-2012, 18:55
I got the PCT penciled in for 2014 as well. First things first......

Right - you're gearing up for an AT thru, right?

If you need to send a mail drop to Erwin (you don't... but if you do) you can send it to my place.

But definitely when you roll into town I want to take you out to dinner.

ChinMusic
09-01-2012, 20:29
Right - you're gearing up for an AT thru, right?

If you need to send a mail drop to Erwin (you don't... but if you do) you can send it to my place.

But definitely when you roll into town I want to take you out to dinner.

No drops for me. I will def take you up on the grub.

10-K
09-01-2012, 20:43
We'll go into a real city and get real food... :)

Praha4
09-01-2012, 20:56
We'll go into a real city and get real food... :)

hey you guys, there's a virtual buffet at Uncle Johnnys! Snickers bars for $.40!

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSmBD2zXpN8Bes2vJNVRWohuKl1wF90B vhlK_fz3ePXXCn458c1

Moose2001
09-02-2012, 12:00
Hey 10K.....there are a number of us here that have done the PCT (2006). So far you've gotten good advice and suggestions for resources. The one other I would suggest is buying Yogi's PCT book. You'll see some different issues on the PCT vs the AT (desert, water, snow, distances). Yogi does a good job talking about those and giving some ideas. I don't totally agree with all her ideas but it gives you something to consider and think about. Also, she has some good options and ideas on resupply. Most PCT hikers tend to do more maildrops, especially in OR and WA, than necessary on the PCT. And as always, questions here can get you some great ideas and suggestions as well.

You'll love the PCT!

BrianLe
09-02-2012, 19:13
I think the one sort of catch that some run into with Yogi is just when to buy it (I definitely advocate Yogi too, on both the PCT and CDT). If you buy too early, then you either hike with last year's data or buy it again the next year. Or you wait perhaps longer than you want to in order to get a lot of planning data if you're the long-range planning type (of course this doesn't apply to the large percentage of folks that don't plan a thru-hike out many months in advance).

If you are the longer-range planning type then I'd reiterate postholer.com as a good place to get a lot of what you want for planning, for free. Then buy Yogi only after you know can get the year-you'll-hike version.

Moose2001
09-03-2012, 12:07
I beleive Yogi does an update and posts it on her website each spring. The update shows what changes are needed to her book.

10-K
09-03-2012, 12:38
I don't have a problem with buying it twice or whatever. Having one to study while planning and then getting a fresh update for the year I'm actually hiking seems like a good investment.

frisbeefreek
09-03-2012, 15:11
Yogi's book is excellent, and she does issue updates.

Sly
09-03-2012, 15:50
It might help to have a copy of the water report. Water determines the character of the hike, at least for me. I'm always thinking about water in southern California.
http://www.4jeffrey.net/pct/

Save/print a copy now because it may go away as Asabat passed away on a PCT section hike a few weeks ago.

Hopefully, the folks at the ADZPCTKO will carry the torch, but how is saving a water report now going to help with a hike in 2014?

RIP ASABat

leaftye
09-03-2012, 17:39
Hopefully, the folks at the ADZPCTKO will carry the torch, but how is saving a water report now going to help with a hike in 2014?

RIP ASABat

It's an easy resource to read, and gives more info than Halfmile map notes. Now that it's not updated, it'd be nice to have a few sets from different times of the year to have an indication of how quickly a resource dries up so you can better predict what will be available, but that's probably not going to happen.

10-K
09-08-2012, 15:08
Royalusa here on WB loaned me their 2009 Yogi books and all I can say is.....

Somebody needs to strap me down to keep me from leaving in April 2013 instead of April 2014!

handlebar
09-09-2012, 11:59
Royalusa here on WB loaned me their 2009 Yogi books and all I can say is.....

Somebody needs to strap me down to keep me from leaving in April 2013 instead of April 2014!

Yeah! I felt the same way after reading Yogi's PCT book in 2007, the year before my hike. Warning! If you do two, you will do three. Maybe you can get a bulk discount and buy both her PCT and CDT guides. Hah!

Seriously, the PCT is a fantastic trail. I did it in exactly 5 months when you remove the trips back east for two nephews' weddings. Loved it. I've told many that, if there's one I'd do again, the PCT is the one. I'm planning an encore in 2025 with my grandsons carrying my food.

trovar
10-21-2012, 02:48
I only used Halfmile's maps and trail notes for my planning/mailing resupplies and trail use and it was more than enough. Most hikers had Yogi's guide, though.

10-K
10-21-2012, 07:51
Good to know all this stuff. I'm getting ready to hike the AL/GA Pinhoti trail and then the PCT will be the next long one for me.

leaftye
10-21-2012, 18:55
Halfmile has printing tips on his site to keep the costs of printing his maps low. Even if you don't care about the cost, I at least recommend using a laser printer to give the maps a measure of water resistance.